Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Default Campbell River Fishing

So me and the wifey are going to visits some friends in Campbell River for a couple weeks in July and I wanted to try some fly fishing for Salmon in the river. As I have never fly fished for Salmon before was just wondering if anyone has any advice to help make my trip a bit more of a success? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:32 AM

I might be wrong but I think the only time you fish em in the river is when they go in to spawn in the fall.

I have seen locals catching them off the pier but not heard of summer salmon in the river. Again I might be way off base.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:08 PM

Yep couple of pinks should be showing up in the river. Shoot me a pm. I will gladly help you out. Lots of fun. Better start lifting weights on your rod arm. It will get sore real quick.

Bh
Old 06-29-2013, 10:58 PM

According to the Campbell River web site it says Sockeyes and Pinks are prevalent in July so hopefully the fishing should be good. I was out there early August last year visiting and went to the river to check it out and was extremely depressed that I had not brought my gear with me as the fishing looked incredible and was according to the folks I went and chatted with. We did get out fishing in my buddies boat which helped relieve some of my depression but I have been dreaming about that river since last year and absolutly cannot wait to give it a try.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 PM

Where on the river do you recommend starting at? I'm headed out that way in mid August, I to have also heard good things about it.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 PM

I was north of campbell river last month camping at Little Bear Bay and McCreight lake was great for trout (cuttie) just in case you want to go for a drive!!! Also the fishing shop in Campbell River has the best service and advice I have ever received before...they even thanked me over and over for fly fishing there and not going deep sea. The shop is called River Sportsman. Highly recommend it. I know this off topic of salmon, but the trout fishing there is great!! not much pressure on the fisheries. ENJOY!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:38 PM

i dont know how to delete posts
Old 07-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Insider tip.

If you're having troubles finding what to use etc, go to the River Sportsman, they'll send you in the right direction... Also check out the trophy display in there, some cools stuff. John Hart Rd, follow that to the end and you'll come to a parking lot, walk along the fence line and you'll find a wicked spot. Fishing there once and a guy from London, England come up and said hi, crazy. Drive north on Maple street, park and walk north east along that trail, that whole strech is perfect for fishing from. Good luck. Btw, I've never fly fished that river, just jiggin for coho, works pretty good.

Last edited by outdoorhunter; 07-07-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: trophy display
Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Talking

For pinks use hot pink or chartreuse flies and use either weighted flies or a sink tip. The fish will be holding in deep pools near the botom so if you can get a fly bouncing off the rocks on the botom or just above that you will be golden. Try the pool at the mouth of the quinsam river or below the logging bridge beside the highway those are both very productive holes. The folks at river sportsman will be able to tell you what exactly is working this year and if you want a second opinion graham at tyee marine will also be able to fill you in on what to use where.
GOOD LUCK
Old 07-07-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone616 View Post
According to the Campbell River web site it says Sockeyes and Pinks are prevalent in July so hopefully the fishing should be good. I was out there early August last year visiting and went to the river to check it out and was extremely depressed that I had not brought my gear with me as the fishing looked incredible and was according to the folks I went and chatted with. We did get out fishing in my buddies boat which helped relieve some of my depression but I have been dreaming about that river since last year and absolutly cannot wait to give it a try.
Sockeye dont go up the campbell, but are readily available in brown bay. Need a boat and downriggers though.