Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Your not dumb Pat you just need another cup of coffee
I NEED to get some sleep. working graveyards..... nighty night.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 AM

We were fishing about 300 yrds from a motorhome on the ice. The home decided they would leave. They would start moving a little then step on the gas hard, tires spinning and you woud see them slow down. This went on for a 1/2 hr and they only moved about 400 yds. You would think that after 5 mins the guy driving would have got the idea that when tires spin and you start slowing down that just a little bit of gas you will move on ice faster and further. Every time he steped on the gas hard he would slow down. LOL.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:31 AM

every one of my kids have dunked themselves atleast 2 times. I'm suprise they still come fishing with me.

But best thing I ever saw is I heard a vehicle pull up to my tent. then a guy starts yelling "hey buddy! you there?" I open my window and I see a dude in a cavalier that is now missing most of the front valance as the snow is too deep. He asks me how the fishing was and I said I heard the guys around the corner had caught some.

couldn't even get outta his car!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 AM

Dumbest thing I ever saw ...lately ... me with my Jiffy spinning out of controll because I wasn't paying attention when I pulled the cord . Half choke & primed too much , giver a pull and presto ! Holy Sheep Sh.. it started ! wasnt hanging on very tight & she got away , the old girl spun around for about 30 sec. and finally fell over & stalled . Yea I know , amateur .
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 AM

We were fishing years ago, beautiful day so we were all out on the ice around noon for hot chocolate and hot dogs. This one guy had a beautiful little black lab with him. Well as pups do this little guy is running around the ice greeting everyone. The guy called him back and the pup comes running, as he got close, ploop down a hole he goes. The guy runs over to the hole and franticly starts gropping around for the dog. Can't find him, we are all devistated as we had all become attached to the little guy. As we are trying to console the guy who lost his pup, the little guy pops up a different hole about ten feet away. Somebody grabbed him and there was great jubilation on the ice. The guy was crying harder after he got his dog back than he was when he lost him.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 AM

Default those train trestles at wabamun..

Fished there tonnes as a kid for whites.
The water under both trestles is usually always open year round. We all know to stay away.

One time some young bravos roared up in a tricked out truck, racing wheels and all, moved right into our extra holes, caught a few fish. These guys were jerks.
Then they got back into their truck and gunned it for the trestle.. Very high speed.
Don't know what they were thinking, but we pulled them out.. The roof of that truck was maybe 2 inches under the water.

Ohh karma!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 PM

Had a guy pull up so close to my tent that his truck door hit the tent when he got out.... I moved the tent and he took over my hole. Looking back I wish I would have chit down the hole.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM

The funniest thing i saw 2 years ago was a guy at Tobin lake trying to pull his shack off the ice..... The conditions were brutal, lots of flood water.... He wanted to get through the water and mud on shore, so he hit the gas, was going really fast, got on shore and hit the brakes so he didnt run into a snow pile... The only problem was i think he forgot about the shack he was pulling behind him... The shack destroyed his truck box and bumper, plus his shack..... But he didn't spill his Pilsner beer so he was happy.....true redneck. The shack was huge. Fit atleast 8-10 people.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:07 PM

Default Big Truck

2 years ago I decided to hit up Gull Lake. Accessed a spot where nobody else seemed to be and there was a guy stuck in his big jacked up dodge diesel(not a black dually). I offered to pull him out so I hooked up and pulled him. He didn't say thank you as his pride was hurt my little F-150 pulled him out. So I went on and set up and the guy goes right back to where he was and got stuck again. I watched hm for about 1/2 hour shovel his way out. If he would have said thanks the first time I wouldn't have hesitated to go back.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:12 PM

Last year my partner bought a brand new Jiffy ice chipper, its about 5 feet long and heavy, anyways we were at Gull lake and he finds a hole that was dug the night before, so he proceeds to chip away at the hole and when he breaks thru the ice chipper goes down the hole with his glove.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
2 years ago I decided to hit up Gull Lake. Accessed a spot where nobody else seemed to be and there was a guy stuck in his big jacked up dodge diesel(not a black dually). I offered to pull him out so I hooked up and pulled him. He didn't say thank you as his pride was hurt my little F-150 pulled him out. So I went on and set up and the guy goes right back to where he was and got stuck again. I watched hm for about 1/2 hour shovel his way out. If he would have said thanks the first time I wouldn't have hesitated to go back.
Good on you, that will learn em to be polite in the future. Only thing better would have been if he would have come over and asked you to help, then you could have said No THANKYOU!
PG
Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauerHunter View Post
I understand that at certain points during a day long Ice fishing trip a guy has to...ehmmm...lighten his load. This is very understandable. I have even seen people, from several hundred yards away, drive to a deserted spot and do their business...no big deal, it's nature right. However, just last week a buddy and I were fishing close to shore and we decided to move out deeper for perch. We drove about 500 yards away from the main group of anglers and began to drill holes. Somewhat to our surprise, a couple of minutes later another truck pulls up and parks 15 feet away from us. That's ok, it's a free country, he was even a very friendly older guy, came over and started talking to us right away. After a couple minutes, he returned to his truck and we continued setting up. it was at this point that my buddy and I got much more than just a friendly visit from this old-timer. He had returned to his truck, which was parked pointing directly at us. He then proceeded to open his drivers side door all the way, presumably to act as a screen, drop his pants to his ankles, and drop his kids off at the rink! The fact that it was mere feet away from us was disturbing enough, but (and I use that word intentionally) he somehow forgot to realize that a truck door is only as low as a guys knee, and when you squat down, that door might as well be closed. Sure, he might not have been able to see us...but we sure could see ALL of him. When we realized what was happening, we bolted for the tent (rubbing snow on our eyes to freeze out the image!). I'm not sure what was going through his mind at that time, but, unfortunately, I can tell you exactly what went through his intestines, as he left it laying uncovered on the ice the rest of the afternoon.
The funniest part of the entire situation was that as soon as he was 'finished', he came right back over to us to see what our camera was picking up under water. He asked me, "How's the bottom clarity?" I responded the only way I could...CRYSTAL!
funniest story ever.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Last year my partner bought a brand new Jiffy ice chipper, its about 5 feet long and heavy, anyways we were at Gull lake and he finds a hole that was dug the night before, so he proceeds to chip away at the hole and when he breaks thru the ice chipper goes down the hole with his glove.
How one manages this is beyond me. we all used spuds when ice fishing. Seeing guys with augers was funny cause the few who had them could never manage to use them very well.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Dumbest thing ive seen was a car on gull lake, zig zaging around ice huts looking for fish on the ice....then racing off to get his stuff at about 100km and hour..only to have the ice swallow the right side of his car. Somehow a quad pulled it out...lucky.