Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 11:21 AM

Default Métis info

Quote:
Originally Posted by FQ2 View Post
I am also a Metis. Good to go.

I'll never use this. I do know some family's that will though, and that's a good thing.
I’m with you FQ2, my genealogy does back into the 1700’s. I also hold a Métis card, but will never use it to harvest wildlife outside the regular draws and regulations. No need too. I hope greed and ego don’t trump proper ethics on this matter, but my expectations are not very high.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Lol Sorry to burst your bubble bud, but you are wrong. Maybe you don’t have all relevant info. I’ve never been more right about anything.

It does not work that way.
Stop trying to stir the pot
Scouter.. Believe what you want but I know his genealogy better than he does. I don't say that lightly. Not stirring the pot, I just know what I saw and what I held. Yeah the Gov is perfect and never makes mistakes or has errors.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Scouter.. Believe what you want but I know his genealogy better than he does. I don't say that lightly. Not stirring the pot, I just know what I saw and what I held. Yeah the Gov is perfect and never makes mistakes or has errors.

You may have held a card in your hand but it is not a legit card, if you would look into the application process instead of being so flippant, you’d be embarrassed by your remarks- FYI in 1988 I had one filled out so I could play in hockey tourneys, the application process is now much more vetted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Scouter.. Believe what you want but I know his genealogy better than he does. I don't say that lightly. Not stirring the pot, I just know what I saw and what I held. Yeah the Gov is perfect and never makes
mistakes or has errors.
I doubt you have you seen the file that the MNA has on your buddy. They have information which you do not. Imagine that.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:52 PM

You guys should get out and enjoy some of the last ice fishing opportunies of the season... or go find some sheds 😂😂😂🙏
Old 03-24-2019, 01:55 PM
Banned

Saw what I saw boys. I also saw 2 adults committed to this process for their kids.

Believe, don't believe it's up to you.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:01 PM
Banned

I went through the search process, found several Métis threads that all say the same thing as this one and all seem to head the same direction as this one with most of the same responders, is it normal on here for everyone to getter worked up about the same thing over and over, just askin is all.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Saw what I saw boys. I also saw 2 adults committed to this process for their kids.

Believe, don't believe it's up to you.
Lol this guys never stops. This stuff is gonna kill you brother.
I’m heading outside for a hike. Suggest you do the same.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Narrow vision??? Bull shyt.

I just saw a Metis card from a gentlemen who I 100% know every square inch of his ancestry. The only "Metis" he has is that he married a nice lady who has some far flung Metis ancestors.
This statement proves your knowledge. Or, your ignorance.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Do you actually believe what you wrote here?
This past year I found 3 fn killed moose in 1 day. Cow calf moose that was shot at night. They only took the hinds off the cow. This is in a wmu where only 15 moose tags are available for draws

Uhhh east central Alberta has elk moose mule deer white tail deer antelope etc. The animals are thriving because it’s private land and they can’t be hunted 365 days a year.

You know how many animals I’ve seen on reserves in Alberta? I can count them on one hand. Hate to say it but fn can’t manage wildlife in canada
I don’t disagree with you one bit. You are right that we need better management for sure, no doubt. I think the bad apples on both sides have no respect for our resources. It’s a shame. How much longer can it go on before it is too late for all of us. I have also found many animals shot and left. Muley bucks that had antlers that had ground shrinkage when the shooter walked up to it. Easier to leave it and find a bigger one, instead of burning their tag? These are the guys that are of most concern. All too common. Again, ego and greed fuel this problem. I hate poachers and people who waste resources as much as you do! I sure don’t want to be part of the problem, I can assure you of that.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 03-24-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 03-24-2019, 02:51 PM

Bottom line, another unfair win for the Metis, another loss for the wildlife.
In the end, there will be no winners.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Do you actually believe what you wrote here?
This past year I found 3 fn killed moose in 1 day. Cow calf moose that was shot at night. They only took the hinds off the cow. This is in a wmu where only 15 moose tags are available for draws

Uhhh east central Alberta has elk moose mule deer white tail deer antelope etc. The animals are thriving because it’s private land and they can’t be hunted 365 days a year.

You know how many animals I’ve seen on reserves in Alberta? I can count them on one hand. Hate to say it but fn can’t manage wildlife in canada
That’s a good point Mark, and a great example of what unregulated Hunting does. If you’ve seen one moose while driving through a reserve you’ve seen more than I have.

Now we will have double the amount of unregulated hunting, think about that for a minute. If you thought the Hunting sucked in the northern parts of the province which is mostly crown land before, imagine 5 years from now, lol.

We are one step closer to seeing the final nail in the coffin for licensed Hunting. Soon there will be no need for Fish and Wildlife officers, or the environment minister for that matter.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I don’t disagree with you one bit. You are right that we need better management for sure, no doubt. I think the bad apples on both sides have no respect for our resources. It’s a shame. How much longer can it go on before it is too late for all of us. I have also found many animals shot and left. Muley bucks that had antlers that had ground shrinkage when the shooter walked up to it. Easier to leave it and find a bigger one, instead of burning their tag? These are the guys that are of most concern. All too common. Again, ego and greed fuel this problem. I hate poachers and people who waste resources as much as you do! I sure don’t want to be part of the problem, I can assure you of that.
I hear ya and agree with you 👍
Old 03-24-2019, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
This simply not true at all, it’s the best thing that could have possibly happened for wildlife if you consider the options. The MNA only went o bat for about 2 percent of its claimed population. There very few Métis that can prove they were in the chosen areas prior to 1900, most were still in Manitoba and never arrived after 1900, so to break it down for you all they just created a two tier split in their population. Basically saying the only 2 percent of them are actually being called Alberta Métis. The other 30,000 of them have no representation from Manitoba as the don’t live there and get no representation from Alberta as they were not here before 1900, better hope they don’t realize this in the near future as even the Métis in this numbers will not tolerate the currant leaders in Alberta
Old 03-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
I totally agree with you
Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 PM

Default Métis I fo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
This simply not true at all, it’s the best thing that could have possibly happened for wildlife if you consider the options. The MNA only went o bat for about 2 percent of its claimed population. There very few Métis that can prove they were in the chosen areas prior to 1900, most were still in Manitoba and never arrived after 1900, so to break it down for you all they just created a two tier split in their population. Basically saying the only 2 percent of them are actually being called Alberta Métis. The other 30,000 of them have no representation from Manitoba as the don’t live there and get no representation from Alberta as they were not here before 1900, better hope they don’t realize this in the near future as even the Métis in this numbers will not tolerate the currant leaders in Alberta
You are absolutely correct Jimm.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
You are absolutely correct Jimm.
100% correct
Old 03-24-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
The best thing possible, really??
The door has been opened. Sounds like you realize that to. 30,000 more will not be sitting by idle.
So back to what I said.
The wildlife lose.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
The door has been opened. Sounds like you realize that to. 30,000 more will not be sitting by idle.
So back to what I said.
The wildlife lose.
Really??

And what do you think those 30.000 more are going to do?? Hold the MNA hostage?
This is ridiculous. unsubstantiated projections.
Stick to the facts.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Really??

And what do you think those 30.000 more are going to do?? Hold the MNA hostage?
This is ridiculous. unsubstantiated projections.
Stick to the facts.
How does any special interest group get what they want?
The door has been opened for some now, how can the rest be denied for ever?
For wildlifes sake, I hope I am wrong. Time will tell.
I never thought some groups would be able to night hunt either, but we know how that went.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
The gov't has decided that Metis have certain rights similar to indigenous people. I still do not understand why they would get special status.

I can see how FN would but there would be no Metis without the white man.

Can someone explain it to me.
I was hoping for at least one answer from our Metis members. I guess the question is too difficult.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I was hoping for at least one answer from our Metis members. I guess the question is too difficult.
Maybe due to the europeans coming ashore..

Last edited by threeforthree; 03-24-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
So back to what I said.
The wildlife lose.
I would imagine the Alberta government will at least as sharp as the rest of us and realize the MNA has determined its membership with this president. They put their cause back 10 years at least
Old 03-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
The way my grandfather explained it to me was that the red river settlement was displaced as to form a community for the white settlers. In return the Métis where given “script” or a parcel of land outside of the area that was taken from them, once the white settlement grew larger the Métis land was again taken and replaced with another parcel further out, it was again taken without compensation and the Métis dispersed, no idea the validity of the story but it’s what I was told by the old Métis in my family who are now long dead. It was their version of an individual reservation that was taken from them without compensation
Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM
Banned

@Jamie- your going off the deep end. So this guys not a friend but you happen to talk to him often so you can report back. You see him often enough that you guys stay in touch and you know all of his family. You guys get to chatting often enough that you hold his metis card in your hand.

You know him well enough that you know his genealogy better then he does.

This doesnt sound like a stranger or some random dude to me....

It seems you know your friend very well. Heck you guys seem to stay in touch often just like friends do... when you know someone's genealogy as good as you do that would make him.... a friend.

As others have said if hes not actually metis then hes not going to be able to harvest anything. But let's not let facts get in the way. We see how that goes for you.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Someone posted that there are only 1100 metis harvesters in the province but everyone said bs to that..
Old 03-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Banned

Does anyone remember how devistating it was for the wildlife when the interim Métis harvesting agreement was in place? How long was it in place?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:13 PM

LoL
Old 03-24-2019, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
@Jamie- your going off the deep end. So this guys not a friend but you happen to talk to him often so you can report back. You see him often enough that you guys stay in touch and you know all of his family. You guys get to chatting often enough that you hold his metis card in your hand.

You know him well enough that you know his genealogy better then he does.

This doesnt sound like a stranger or some random dude to me....

It seems you know your friend very well. Heck you guys seem to stay in touch often just like friends do... when you know someone's genealogy as good as you do that would make him.... a friend.

As others have said if hes not actually metis then hes not going to be able to harvest anything. But let's not let facts get in the way. We see how that goes for you.
A spouse who has the harvesting letter from the Alberta government ie the currant harvest agreement but does not have the ability’s to be able to harvest can get permission for a spouse to do it for them but the card holder must be present. They do not get their own card until linage is proven. Anyone who says they do is either mis informed or lying. You can not fake your way into getting a card, when I got mine I was one of the first, all my information was then filed by MNA which was then expanded on when other family members provided additional information on the same linage, and so on, you can not get this information from MNA as they deem it their own due to it being sent to them. As was implied by other posts that you can lie your way into a card is a pure lie as all information is checked against other supplied information on that particular linage from other family members, hope this clears up some things
Old 03-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Does anyone remember how devistating it was for the wildlife when the interim Métis harvesting agreement was in place? How long was it in place?
I think it was 5 years but not positive, I got one calf elk in all that time and it was caught in a fence