Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Banned

Default Anyone want to shoot some hogs? Go to Poland!

So I wasn't aware of this until I had family and friends from Poland ask me what I think of this wild boar cull. I can't make too many comments since I always end up offending someone but maybe someone else on here knows more than I do?

From what I've been told, hunters and game wardens or "Leśniczy" are paid to shoot most of the hogs and the pregnant does are "trophy". I assume it would be easier for people who always wanted to shoot some hogs, to go and book a trip there?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 PM

I don't want to take away from the idea of going to Poland. Sounds like a great idea. I just wanted to mention boar hunting in Morocco as another option. Maybe other muslim countries are an option as well.

http://lanatochasse.com/en/the-boar

Where is the best bang for the buck boar hunt out there?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeHunter View Post
I don't want to take away from the idea of going to Poland. Sounds like a great idea. I just wanted to mention boar hunting in Morocco as another option. Maybe other muslim countries are an option as well.

http://lanatochasse.com/en/the-boar

Where is the best bang for the buck boar hunt out there?
I do not know of many places as I only know of hunts that locals can hunt since you need to belong to that certain club.

I know in the Texas Hog hunting group on Facebook there is a fellow from Turkey and shows some beasts. They don't hunt them because of how "dirty" swine is, and that is why they get so big.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 PM

Germany seems to be another good place to go. I posted a vid about it and there are a few comments. Dean2 has hunted Poland and maybe he will comment or give some insight. Love the offhand shooting they do for boar in the vid.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=355335
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Banned

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theg...nservationists

So it’s a cull due to African swine flu
Old 01-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Yes, it is a cull and not just in Poland. In Germany they also pay hunters money for each boar they shoot as it got completely out of control. They grew/grow a lot of corn for alternative energy in the last decades which provided the boars with lots of cover and food. Their numbers exploded and you can see huge families roam in areas that rarely ever saw them. There are even news reports of them in the city of Berlin, some are habituated as people feed them like people feed wildlife in the National Parks here. Others go completely crazy, run into houses or shops and destroy everything, besides the usual damage on football fields or gardens and lawns.
Now with the flu they are concerned it spreads to the pigs raised for food and they try to shoot as many as possible, Germany (half the size of Alberta) shot over 800,000 last year.
Still the hunters get lot of blame for this. For years they were the bad evil hunters that shot the poor boars, now everyone is blaming them for not shooting enough of them.
Plenty of hunters said even if they would quit their job and hunt full time they wouldn't be able to hurt the population really bad. The pigs are smart and reproduce like crazy.
Alberta can be happy there are non of these here.

https://www.ilawjournals.com/african...s-never-before
Old 01-13-2019, 10:50 AM

It is very possible to hunt Poland and Hungary for hogs. The prices are quite low as the outfitter makes substantial income from selling the meat taken during the hunt. The hunts are mostly stand hunts with beaters and thus the shooting is quite challenging. Poland and Czechoslovakia are aggressively culling their Wild Boar population due to African Swine Flu so this would be a very good time to go over to hunt. I am sure prices reflect the desire to shoot a lot of hogs.

As far as hunting Boar in Germany, virtually 100% of the land is privately owned and a very large percentage of it is leased for hunting purposes. To hunt in Germany you would need to find an outfitter that has access to land. Game on private land is the "Property" of the landowner, lease holder. The owner of the game is responsible for crop damage and even vehicle damage caused by their animals.

There are very liberal seasons on game so a hunter can shoot some kind of game any time of the year, but the leases are intensively manged to optimize game production and hunting opportunities. The season on Boar is now year round in Germany. Given that most guys leasing land sell the meat from the game to help defray the very high costs of the lease, maintaining blinds, fences, insurance and all the other costs I would be very surprised if the leaseholders were not shooting as much game as possible, without damaging the base population needed to maintain good hunting.

The African Swine flu is not dangerous to humans but is to pigs and there is no vaccination for it. The hog industry in Europe is huge, far bigger than cattle. Germany has an increasing population of wild Boars due to increased corm production and like here with coyotes and deer, a lot of them are in places where hunting is not feasible due to high human population concentration. I would think this is a great time to look at hunting Germany as well.

I would highly recommend booking hunts in Europe, there are lots of quality outfitters and the prices are quite reasonable, flights are plentiful and cheap.