Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: What is your preferred style for your bolt action walking rifle.
Detachable magazine 251 55.90%
Hinged floorplate / Internal box 198 44.10%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
How do you have time to dump your beer, and unload your gun if you’re not using detachable mags?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
^^This
If you happen to knock your beer over grabbing for your mag in the console,that I can understand,but why on Earth would you dump your beer to unload,that’s just foolish talk and alcohol abuse.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
If you happen to knock your beer over grabbing for your mag in the console,that I can understand,but why on Earth would you dump your beer to unload,that’s just foolish talk and alcohol abuse.
You can't roll through a fish cop check stop with a full beer and a loaded gun.
Is this your first day?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Is this your first day?
Well lets hope everyone can have a safe hunting season. Sounds like those check stops are doing the right thing.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Is this your first day?
DOH!!
.....caught ithat after I posted.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Ruger Hawkeye. feeds excellent if fed from the top. I just havent gotten the hang of consistently being trouble free with upside down loading, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I think its a relationship with the magazine follower matching up with the rounds.
Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me. So long as I don't need to jack every round out with the bolt the floorplate is doing its job.

But I do agree with the other poster, putting in less shells might improve things. My Ruger feeds awesome too, but it can get a little picky on how the rounds are stacked when one try's to load the mag full as well as the chamber. I typically only put in 4 rounds, cause that's more than enough and I've never had a feeding issue that way.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me. So long as I don't need to jack every round out with the bolt the floorplate is doing its job.

But I do agree with the other poster, putting in less shells might improve things. My Ruger feeds awesome too, but it can get a little picky on how the rounds are stacked when one try's to load the mag full as well as the chamber. I typically only put in 4 rounds, cause that's more than enough and I've never had a feeding issue that way.
I just had some laughable idea that i could try my hawkeye out in a prs competition and maybe upside down loading could be a quick reload. I love the ruger hawkeye for lots of reasons, one is how big the feeding port is and im very fast at top loading. Even with extreme thick gloves on at -15*C its big enough to click rounds in through the port. Ive dropped more rounds in the snow trying to juggle holding my detachable magazine rifles plus the detachable mag in my hands and trying to top up rounds from the other hand.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I just had some laughable idea that i could try my hawkeye out in a prs competition and maybe upside down loading could be a quick reload. I love the ruger hawkeye for lots of reasons, one is how big the feeding port is and im very fast at top loading. Even with extreme thick gloves on at -15*C its big enough to click rounds in through the port. Ive dropped more rounds in the snow trying to juggle holding my detachable magazine rifles plus the detachable mag in my hands and trying to top up rounds from the other hand.
Yep, maybe the reason I've never considered top loading any kind of chore, is that the majority of my rifles have been some form of Mauser action... big loading ports on pretty much all of them.

My Ruger was my favored hunting rifle for many years, its probably taken a half dozen moose, 30 or more deer, and a couple elk. I found that once one is accustom to the "industrial grade" feel of a Ruger, many rifles tend to feel like toys. Rugers are just so rugged and over engineered, as a guy who's built and repaired industrial equipment my whole life I always liked that.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yep, maybe the reason I've never considered top loading any kind of chore, is that the majority of my rifles have been some form of Mauser action... big loading ports on pretty much all of them.

My Ruger was my favored hunting rifle for many years, its probably taken a half dozen moose, 30 or more deer, and a couple elk. I found that once one is accustom to the "industrial grade" feel of a Ruger, many rifles tend to feel like toys. Rugers are just so rugged and over engineered, as a guy who's built and repaired industrial equipment my whole life I always liked that.
You say it was your favorite rifle for years. What has your favorite spot now?
Old 09-16-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
You say it was your favorite rifle for years. What has your favorite spot now?
A shift in my hunting tactics over the years, as well as my wrists not handling 8-10 hour days with a nearly 9lb rifle in hand as well as they used to eventually lead me to experiment with shorter, lighter rifles, I think I've settled on this one.

I know I've posted this pic a few times, but since you asked... Husqvarna Lightweight carbine in 30-06 with a 1-4x VXII. Got that rugged Mauser feel but somehow weighs right around 7 lb scoped and loaded. A good all around rifle with heavy emphasis on stillhunting and tracking, which make up the bulk of my hunting.

PC120243 by , on Flickr
Old 09-16-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
A shift in my hunting tactics over the years, as well as my wrists not handling 8-10 hour days with a nearly 9lb rifle in hand as well as they used to eventually lead me to experiment with shorter, lighter rifles, I think I've settled on this one.

I know I've posted this pic a few times, but since you asked... Husqvarna Lightweight carbine in 30-06 with a 1-4x VXII. Got that rugged Mauser feel but somehow weighs right around 7 lb scoped and loaded. A good all around rifle with heavy emphasis on stillhunting and tracking, which make up the bulk of my hunting.

PC120243 by , on Flickr
Very nice! I asked because i am looking to replace a 11 pound tactical style rifle with something similar style to the Ruger. Ive checked out Kimber and always like checking out more stuff. Thanks for the info. I like that ruger hawkeye can push onto a loose round like a pushfeed. Anyone know what other mauser style rifles can do this? Ive heard winchesters wont. Does kimber?

Last edited by Nyksta; 09-16-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:40 PM

Resurrecting this thread to get any new votes in from people who haven't voted yet. I used to be very anti-detachable mag, but I'm leaning to accept it more if it is a quality design.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I prefer a hinged floorplate first, blind magazine second, and DBM third.
This. DBM's often limit bullet seating options. My two fave drop plate rifles are Rem 700 lefties in 340 Wby and 7 STW. Both need all the mag space they can get. Even my 300 WM needs more room than a kick klip allows.

My Tikka T3's in 223 and 7-08 have issues with seating depths with stock magazines. Of course I can modify the 223 mag and buy the M+.

Also lots of rifles end up with a lumpy mag right at the balance/carry point. Ever carry a 788 Remington? And rifles with detachable magazines that fit into/under a floor plate have the worst of both worlds.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Resurrecting this thread to get any new votes in from people who haven't voted yet. I used to be very anti-detachable mag, but I'm leaning to accept it more if it is a quality design.

Your qualifier of "Quality Design" is the big limiting factor in my books. Some DM rifles feed flawlessly, a great many do not, along with the issue that the DM means your COAL is significantly shorter in many cases. Like most of you, I have only rarely needed more than one shot, but from training and experience I always immediately rack in a followup round as soon as I pull the trigger. I want to be absolutely certain that second round feeds perfectly. I value that far higher than the relative speed or convenience of loading and unloading, and I value being able to seat my bullets where I want them higher too.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:24 AM

Not a fan of clips and outside of road hunting I don’t see any advantages. Loosing a clip or not seating it are just too common of issues for that style
Old 02-13-2021, 08:37 AM

I really like the browning abolt system in function, the concept some may argue is the worst of both worlds or be weak design etc. But it works very smoothly.

That being said, on my custom, I’ve ordered a m5 inlet and can have flush fit mags, extended mags, and a hinged floor plate if I swap out the bottom metal.

I’ve opted for the flush fit m5 magazine to start with a very nice triggergard and the mag release is in the trigger guard like a hinged floorplate
Old 02-13-2021, 09:08 AM

I have both kinds, a browning abolt with the mag on a hinged plate , and blr with mags.
The abolt gave me a problem one time when I was pulling it out of the gun case on the quad
Some how it caught the release button and opened as I was pulling it out of the case,
Ended up breaking off the plate, turning it into a single shot , until I could get another hinge plate put on.
Only time it happened, still use that rifle mainly
Old 02-13-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:

In order of preference: detach mag, drop plate, blind mag. I have no idea why anyone's first choice would be the blind version.

Own or have owned rifles with detach and drop plates and hunted for 50 years. Never once came close to losing a mag while hunting. I have had drop plate jams with improper stacks. Not all are created equal.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:26 AM

I personally don't have a preference. I've owned both, but my go to rifle is a Winchester Model 70, so that means hinged floor plate. I've hunted for years with different rifles that had a drop out magazine and never had issues. Never lost a 'clip' in my life and never felt a disadvantage with my hinged floor plate.
I only emptied my model 70 once in my life and that was on a brute of a bear. Bear ended up losing, but for a second it was intense and I was very much aware I was on my last shell and was only 15' away from a wounded bear. Looking back it should have been a one shot kill, but a little "bear fever' set in as I was walking into my stand at first light and made a poor shot initially.

Michael
Old 02-13-2021, 09:42 AM

Default SAKO two step DBM removal

DBM all the way. Insert rounds into the magazine. Load the mag and insert into rifle. Cycling the bolt is not spoken of. Unload by removing the magazine. Leave the rounds in the magazine and go through all the loading/unloading motions you want without ever having to cycle the bolt. Sako DBM cannot fall out by inadvertently pressing the mag release lever as the magazine must first be pushed up into the action before the mag release lever will disengage.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:20 AM

Default DBM or floorplate.

I have used both and always seems to come down to the type of hunting. If its just plain bush hunting, with lots of boot leather action, any magazine type is irrelevant.
Open prairie hunting where you are jumping around from one spot to the next, and I prefer a clip.
My Blasers offer a different challenge. Easy to pull out the clip and throw it in your pocket, but your hunt is really over if you lose it cause the trigger is attached to the clip.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:32 AM

I have rifles with magazines or clips as I still prefer to call them.
I don’t trust them! My hinged floor plate has never let me down, never been lost.
It’s fun to watch people’s faces when I turn my old CZ upside down and toss a handful of cartridges in. It’s easy and fast.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:58 PM
Banned

I have two Savage bolt guns, both in .308 win. One is a Savage scout rifle with a 2-7x 42 mm scout scope and my other is a Savage M10 TR heavy barrel with a monarch 4 x 16 x 50mm. Both have detachable 10 round box mags. The heavier M10 TR isn't what I'd call a walking rifle, and my use for it is in a ground blind where deer can walk out at distances out to 800 meters. Obviously way too far for me or the capabilities of my rifle/ load, but I wouldn't have any issues at 300 meters with my handloads.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:09 PM

Default Steel parts

Usually hinged floor plates are all steel or the the important parts are.
And there’s no magazine to loose.
Can’t bring myself to buy a rifle with a plastic magazine either, that’s just stupid to me, but to each their own. Can you imagine if the old SMLE’s had a plastic mag? Me either. Lol
Just my $2 worth, cause $0.02 don’t get ya much anymore lol
Old 02-15-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
I really like the browning abolt system in function, the concept some may argue is the worst of both worlds or be weak design etc. But it works very smoothly.

That being said, on my custom, I’ve ordered a m5 inlet and can have flush fit mags, extended mags, and a hinged floor plate if I swap out the bottom metal.

I’ve opted for the flush fit m5 magazine to start with a very nice triggergard and the mag release is in the trigger guard like a hinged floorplate
X2, I’ve been using the A-bolt detach mag/hinge system for 25 years on 3 different A-bolts. Never had a feeding issue or lost a magazine....
Old 02-15-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooeylover View Post
Usually hinged floor plates are all steel or the the important parts are.
And there’s no magazine to loose.
Can’t bring myself to buy a rifle with a plastic magazine either, that’s just stupid to me, but to each their own. Can you imagine if the old SMLE’s had a plastic mag? Me either. Lol
Just my $2 worth, cause $0.02 don’t get ya much anymore lol
Stupid to some people maybe...

Polymer mags are lighter and can even be stronger. A cracked polymer mag can still function whereas a bent or dented steel or aluminum mag not fit into the rifle let alone still function. Military usage of polymer magazines is increasing as they have been credited with being more robust. Many M16 platforms are using polymer magazines. Sako A7 rifles have polymer magazines with steel feed lips. SMLE and M16 come from different planets. The planet running SMLE's is gonna lose
Old 03-16-2021, 04:40 AM

I've only ever used a DM, but I just purchased my first hinged floor plate rifle in a 300wby. Hope it works out. I have noticed just playing with it that the release is quite sticky, hopefully that works itself out when I break the barrel in this summer
Old 03-17-2021, 08:37 AM

Default Detailed Loading HFP

Owed both. Avoided HFP like the plague for a long time buy recently bought one. You get used to it, its not as bad as I initially thought. Loading is easy like one fellow mentioned. Turn gun upside down & open hinged floor plate. Look at the plate on the spring that presses up against the bottom shell, it will be slanted to hold the shell on one side or the other. When holding my gun upside down my plate wants to cradle the bottom shell to the left side. So when dropping four shells into my upside down gun I put the first shell on bottom right, 2nd to left, 3rd to right, & 4th (last) to left. Again, do this a few times and its not bad at all. Closes perfect every time. I made it sound more complicated than it is but I wanted to give a run down for first time HFP users.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:30 AM

i carry two mags. One in gun and one in pocket. never would own a HFP , to me a pain in the butt dropping cartridges in the snow. A mag is a clean un-load and ready to go. Some are better with HFP ??, most i observe drop rounds all the time after being froze up on a long walk .
Old 03-17-2021, 08:40 PM

Before I bought my first rifle, one of my "must haves" was a detachable box magazine. I figured I'd be hunting alot with my mobility-limited father and we'd be in and out of the truck alot - therefore much easier to unload the rifle.

It didn't take me long to realize that this might have been a mistake, or at least not a requirement. I didn't think there was enough action near the roads and once I started hunting solo or with buddies after dad passed I found myself getting well back from them. A floorplate would have been just fine.

Now I get paranoid about the mag dropping out so i carry one in my pocket too.

Next time I buy a rifle I'll be pretty indifferent to this part of the setup.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:45 AM

After using both still prefer hinged floor plate. Magazines are too easy to loose and expensive to replace. I do like the system on the browning abolt though with the magazine/hinged floor plate together.