Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-01-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Lol guess your a net score guy eh? I wish i could find a nice character deer like that, but keep tripping over these tempting typical bucks
YES NETS ARE FOR FISH AND ME ..LOL .. Want to trade him for your biggest buck ? Didn't think so ..lol .
Old 11-01-2014, 06:03 PM

Old 11-01-2014, 06:26 PM

Awesome buck! Congrats!
Old 11-01-2014, 10:58 PM

Default 30 yards with reapers

Upload File from your Computer
Old 11-02-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdselman@hotmail.com View Post
Upload File from your Computer
??
Old 11-04-2014, 10:16 PM

Called in this big Tomimage.jpg
Old 11-06-2014, 10:22 PM

Guess I should drop this in here also for the fall summary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Archery 2014.jpg (54.8 KB, 312 views)
Old 11-07-2014, 10:08 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
My first deer with a bow. Strathcona deer
Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 AM

Congrats Mark, that is quite the accomplishment.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-07-2014, 11:15 AM

Thanks a lot. Passed on many does, but always wanted a buck for a 1st. Was extremely happy when I got up to this guy, and seen the size of him. Not my biggest deer, but I was very happy with it being my first archery deer. A memory I will not forget. Might not even pick up a rifle this season. And the pic turned out well for a "selfie"! Haha

Mark
Old 11-09-2014, 02:59 PM

Great buck! Congrats
Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Great buck Marko
Old 11-12-2014, 07:41 PM

Default Buck Down Nov. 1

First day of rifle season I was still bow hunting and had gone to a virgin stand that I had left alone all season waiting for the right wind. On my second rattling sequence I heard the subtle crunching of deer hooves coming through the leaves under the spruces to my right. I peered down through the spruce branches and saw a fork horn WT buckling first . He stopped but I could still hear another deer coming. In short order a heavy bodied 4x4 came into view and hit the scent stream of one of my upwind scent pods. He stopped and curled his nose up and then his tail lifted up and started waving back and forth. He was stopped right where I wanted him to be, giving me a broadside 12 yard shot. His morning changed in a split second as the muzzy blew through him. He bounced about 40 yards away and came to a dead stop. In a couple more seconds he just tipped over- heart shot. The fork horn stayed close by and soon another 4x4 buck come in. He stared at the fallen buck for a while , then he too came right in to my stand. I filmed them with my phone for a while until they lost interest and wandered off. Just had some back straps tonight. Mmmmmm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0870.jpg (45.2 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0535 - Copy.jpg (96.3 KB, 360 views)
Old 11-12-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antler1 View Post
First day of rifle season I was still bow hunting and had gone to a virgin stand that I had left alone all season waiting for the right wind. On my second rattling sequence I heard the subtle crunching of deer hooves coming through the leaves under the spruces to my right. I peered down through the spruce branches and saw a fork horn WT buckling first . He stopped but I could still hear another deer coming. In short order a heavy bodied 4x4 came into view and hit the scent stream of one of my upwind scent pods. He stopped and curled his nose up and then his tail lifted up and started waving back and forth. He was stopped right where I wanted him to be, giving me a broadside 12 yard shot. His morning changed in a split second as the muzzy blew through him. He bounced about 40 yards away and came to a dead stop. In a couple more seconds he just tipped over- heart shot. The fork horn stayed close by and soon another 4x4 buck come in. He stared at the fallen buck for a while , then he too came right in to my stand. I filmed them with my phone for a while until they lost interest and wandered off. Just had some back straps tonight. Mmmmmm.
Congrats on a great buck!! Hopefully I can do the same this next week!!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:41 PM

Congrats Antler1. Sounds like a perfect hunt. Well done.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antler1 View Post

Nice work! Although you pulled the shot, you didn't quite shoot through the center of the heart.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:56 AM

November 3rd I went to set up a camera and took my bow and rattling horns along to try my luck. It was -8c that morning so the grass was froze and very crunchy. I snuck just inside the tree line and did a light rattling sequence and heard something coming right away. By the time i put the horns down and got an arrow knocked I had a buck less then 10 yards. I drew on him and he saw me and bolted. I was able to stop him at 40 yards and made a clean double lung shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (63.2 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).JPG (69.1 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg photo (4).JPG (64.0 KB, 315 views)
Old 11-15-2014, 11:39 AM

Great buck! Congrats!
Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 AM

Here is the buck I rattled in today.

16 meter shot. Picked the last rib on quartering away opportunity. He went 60 meters, tumbled 20 of them (according to the blood trail). Rattled him in (twice). 8:30 am Nov 16
Old 11-17-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Here is the buck I rattled in today.

16 meter shot. Picked the last rib on quartering away opportunity. He went 60 meters, tumbled 20 of them (according to the blood trail). Rattled him in (twice). 8:30 am Nov 16
Nice buck congrats
Old 11-19-2014, 04:21 PM

Here's my first elk(taken yesterday) and second big game harvest in my short 5 seasons of hunting.

I spied a sizeable herd, about 50+, in an open field, yet couldn't observe all of them at once due to my position behind a small clump of trees. They were about 100 yds out and I was able to watch a few cows and a spiker walking around, from my position without moving around and possibly spooking them.

After a few minutes with my heart racing and wondering how to proceed I hear a twig snap and turn my head about 75 deg. and notice some brown bodies walking in my direction through some branches of the trees I was hiding behind. They were about 50 yards away and moving with determination.

I quickly swivel and range the only shooting lane available to me from where I was. As luck would have it a few cows strutted right through the lane. I was about to take a shot when I spied some antlers coming into view through my periphery. The antlers stopped on the far side of two cows between us, but just as he stopped the two cows obligingly moved out of the way. I let the arrow fly and it hit it's mark, not a pass through but a good shot as I saw lots of blood streaming from the entrance wound, as he ran away. Just as he was about to disappear out of view I saw the sideways stagger and knew he was mine.

I've been hunting in this bow only zone for my whole "career" and every year I see more and more people out, which is good to see, but at the same time decreases my odds. I am truly grateful to be able to do what I do, and this year I was lucky enough to get this guy.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic...30 yrd shot, right side, Grim Reaper Whitetail Special Stainless Steel 3-blade broadhead(100gr), <60 yds from impact site, 7X7(barely on one side)

Thanks to you and this forum for being a great resource, and providing some entertaining dialogue at times

Good luck for the rest of the season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (28.2 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by Pdub; 11-19-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:49 PM

that's a great kill
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 11-19-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdub View Post
Here's my first elk(taken yesterday) and second big game harvest in my short 5 seasons of hunting.

I spied a sizeable herd, about 50+, in an open field, yet couldn't observe all of them at once due to my position behind a small clump of trees. They were about 100 yds out and I was able to watch a few cows and a spiker walking around, from my position without moving around and possibly spooking them.

After a few minutes with my heart racing and wondering how to proceed I hear a twig snap and turn my head about 75 deg. and notice some brown bodies walking in my direction through some branches of the trees I was hiding behind. They were about 50 yards away and moving with determination.

I quickly swivel and range the only shooting lane available to me from where I was. As luck would have it a few cows strutted right through the lane. I was about to take a shot when I spied some antlers coming into view through my periphery. The antlers stopped on the far side of two cows between us, but just as he stopped the two cows obligingly moved out of the way. I let the arrow fly and it hit it's mark, not a pass through but a good shot as I saw lots of blood streaming from the entrance wound, as he ran away. Just as he was about to disappear out of view I saw the sideways stagger and knew he was mine.

I've been hunting in this bow only zone for my whole "career" and every year I see more and more people out, which is good to see, but at the same time decreases my odds. I am truly grateful to be able to do what I do, and this year I was lucky enough to get this guy.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic...30 yrd shot, right side, Grim Reaper Whitetail Special Stainless Steel 3-blade broadhead(100gr), <60 yds from impact site, 7X7(barely on one side)

Thanks to you and this forum for being a great resource, and providing some entertaining dialogue at times

Good luck for the rest of the season!
Woohooo! way to go!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:15 PM

Amazing, Pdub.
No need to apologize for the pic. Thanks for sharing!
It's about the experience, and it seems you've enjoyed about as good as it gets. Congrats
Old 11-19-2014, 08:30 PM

So awesome!!! Congrats on that guy Pdub. I have never killed an elk, bow or rifle. I was ready to take a cow at 20 yards once and I heard a bull bugle just out of site so I waited, similar to your story. The bull never came into range and I am still waiting for my first elk. Congratulations!!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:17 AM

Rut was going off on Nov 21, and I was able to grease this joker at 35 yards.

Last edited by depopulator; 11-22-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:42 AM

Good looking .buck depop ...congrats
Old 11-30-2014, 09:36 PM

Thanks everyone for making this a great thread with lots of great stories and pictures....still 1 week for the Strathcona hunters....maybe a couple more pics to add.

LC
Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 PM

Bump the memories for good mojo!

LC