Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 PM

Default Info about antique M.Hohner harmonica?

My baba passed on to me a harmonica that belonged to my gido a long time ago. It is an M.Hohner "auto valve harp" and it is double dated 1871 in a circle on the left, with a circle connected to it saying ulm. and 1881 in a circle on the right with a circle on the top saying stutt-gart. It says made in Germany, and the trade mark on it has a star of David in a circle with the words "gesetzl gesch" and is between two hands. did some research and the harmonicas produced after WWII did not have the star in the trademark. Will post pics when I get access to my laptop.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider View Post
My baba passed on to me a harmonica that belonged to my gido a long time ago. It is an M.Hohner "auto valve harp" and it is double dated 1871 in a circle on the left, with a circle connected to it saying ulm. and 1881 in a circle on the right with a circle on the top saying stutt-gart. It says made in Germany, and the trade mark on it has a star of David in a circle with the words "gesetzl gesch" and is between two hands. did some research and the harmonicas produced after WWII did not have the star in the trademark. Will post pics when I get access to my laptop.
I have seen the pre-war Hohners with the star on them, but I don't know if there was a Jewish connection for the Hohner family. It would stand to reason that a star of David would be construed as having a Jewish connection and likely the company would voluntarily or otherwise have dropped this.

The Ulm 1871 and Stuttgart 1881 symbols, would refer to Hohner being awarded medals at an exposition these years.

"gesetzl gesch" translates to federal company.

It would be nice to see some pictures.

I have a couple Marine Bands (C&G) that I use and an older Bugle Band and Echo double sided harmonica which I seem to have mis-placed.

Hohner is 'the' harmoica, you have a great heirloom
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 PM

I'll post some this week. It still plays like a gem and is in great condition, still has the origional box. I'm storing it in my mothers safe since I don't have one yet. I hope to pass it on to one of my children or grandchildren if I ever do have some. I feel pretty lucky to have it since my baba has 20 some odd grandchildren.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Banned

Dont drink jjuice or milk before playing it and dont blast on it or you can detune it keep it in a dryish place amd always knock the spit out after playing it. Post pics, love to see it
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Banned

I have a couple Hohners.
The new ones range in price from not so much to hundreds of dollars.
Some of the old ones are very collectable and quite often just sound better and people want them for that reason.

I'd love to see pics to.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
I have a couple Hohners.
The new ones range in price from not so much to hundreds of dollars.
Some of the old ones are very collectable and quite often just sound better and people want them for that reason.

I'd love to see pics to.
I bought a couple Marine Bands in Florida in March and keep them at my condo there. They are Chinese made and have plastic combs, instead of wood combs and the quality is not there.
But, I do like some Chinese made harps. The Huangs are excellent and originated from the Hohner stable. As well, I have a Hero which has kept tone perfectly for the last 20 years.
My next purchase will be a Hohner Chromatic............someday.
Back in my youth, I did a lot of hiking and always carried a harmonica in my pack. I would take it out when I sat down for a rest and play it. Once when I stayed at a Youth Hostel,there were two other guys who had harmonicas and we ended up having a jam session. Luckily, they all were in the same key.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
I bought a couple Marine Bands in Florida in March and keep them at my condo there. They are Chinese made and have plastic combs, instead of wood combs and the quality is not there.
But, I do like some Chinese made harps. The Huangs are excellent and originated from the Hohner stable. As well, I have a Hero which has kept tone perfectly for the last 20 years.
My next purchase will be a Hohner Chromatic............someday.
Back in my youth, I did a lot of hiking and always carried a harmonica in my pack. I would take it out when I sat down for a rest and play it. Once when I stayed at a Youth Hostel,there were two other guys who had harmonicas and we ended up having a jam session. Luckily, they all were in the same key.
My first real harmonica was a super cheap Chinese one.
I think I paid...5 bucks for it... or something like that.
The sound is tinny but it is so easy to play and the one I learned on so I still have it.

I have a Hohner Chromatica.

A friend picked it up a flea market or something.
Anyway...he knew what it was and he knew I'd want it so he grabbed it.
Only paid 20 bucks and it was basically brand new in it's case and with all the papers.
Score!
I guess they didn't know the real value or nobody played so they just let it go cheap.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
My first real harmonica was a super cheap Chinese one.
I think I paid...5 bucks for it... or something like that.
The sound is tinny but it is so easy to play and the one I learned on so I still have it.

I have a Hohner Chromatica.

A friend picked it up a flea market or something.
Anyway...he knew what it was and he knew I'd want it so he grabbed it.
Only paid 20 bucks and it was basically brand new in it's case and with all the papers.
Score!
I guess they didn't know the real value or nobody played so they just let it go cheap.
What a steal ! I was looking at the Hohner Larry Adler model a few weeks back at $175.00.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

I own one.

The purchase tag says it was bought at Woodwards in 1971.

$40.00 dollars.

Nice Box.

Nice Sound.

No Sell.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 PM

gotta start practicing with mine again. I bought a set of three and have played them rather sparingly which is most unfortunate but more people want me to play bass so I have to focus on that LoL
Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
What a steal ! I was looking at the Hohner Larry Adler model a few weeks back at $175.00.
I know.

I wish I played better.

Guess I should start playing more...I've been ignoring it for a bit.