Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2008, 08:56 PM

Default Anyone know of a fly rod making course?

Looking for somewhere in calgary where i can take a course to learn how to build a fly rod
Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 PM

Cabela's do it your self book and buy the kit to do it . Im sure once bass pro shops opens up they may or may not offer courses. Like fly tieing , and rod building etc etc etc.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:19 PM

Fishtales fly shop.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 AM

Smile

I have been looking into renting a room at my community center for a few evenings this winter to do just this.

I have a good selection of blanks, and all components. Plus all the epoxies and supplies you'll need. I just bought my partner out a few weeks ago and haven't actually figured out a new name for my company. Formerly Kingfisher Rodbuildng now probably going with the same sort of name. Osprey or something like that.

I also have a great book that is good for beginners. It's called The Rodbuilding Guide from Tom Kirkman. In my honest opinion it's the best and most simple book out there. It gives you in layman terms (with great pictures too) exactally how to go about building a rod.

I can put together a good beginner kit depending on what weight rod you want. My kits start about $100 and of course go up from there depending on the quality of rod you want. For your first few builds though I'd go with an inexpensive blank. That way you can make mistakes and you won't worry too much. Then from there the sky is the limit.

Give me a shout at (403) 831-FISH - (403) 831-3474

Cheers,
Rob
Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 AM

well i already have the blank its a fenwick from probably 25 years ago that my dad has now given to me after i found it in the basement and he remembered he had it haha so i am lookin for somewhere to learn to build it
Old 09-11-2008, 03:13 PM

Smile

Do you have all the guides, cork, epoxy, hook keeper, reel seat, winding check, thread? If not give me a shout and I can help you with it. Like I pointed out I also have a book that shows you step by step if you want to build it.

It doesn't matter to me even if you already have everything. I would be happy to help you out building it. I even have my old V-block rod stand that you can borrow if you like. This is to rest the blank in as you wrap it and epoxy it.

Give me a call sometime and I can see what we can do to help you out. Even if you just need some advice along the way I will be happy to give you some tips.

I am heading out to northern BC for a week of fishing. So I won't be available from the 14 until the 22nd of September.

Rob