Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-04-2018, 12:25 PM

Default Savage model 10 ml2 loads/info

I'm pretty new to muzzle loading. In 2015 I had a chance for a moose hunt in a primitive-only hunting zone. I had a cheap in-line muzzle loader I was going to use, when my buddy insisted I used his smokeless muzzle loader. I shot it at the range a hand full of time then took it into the field. I smacked a young bull moose and he dropped in his tracks. I was sold!!! I since managed to get one of my own, so now I ask,

I have VV n110 powder (as IMR 4759 is no longer made) I also have short black MMP sabots, currently shooting the recommended 250gr XTP bullets with 42gr of powder with decent accuracy.

What loads are you using, what bullet/powder and how is the accuracy in yours?
Old 07-05-2018, 06:51 AM
Banned

I would load it light and keep a close eye on that barrel

It seems that they have a tendency to blow up

Guess that’s why they stopped making them
Old 07-05-2018, 07:24 AM

Default Good gun

Sure they blow up - double load any ML it will go sky high.

I’ve owned about 9 of them. Still have one that I converted to .458 sabotless rig.

There are a lot of good loads out there. Go to savage arms and look under owners. They have an updated load section.

I have used 5744,4759 and others.

One of my biggest concerns were loose loads and it is my understanding this could cause ringed barrels. Be careful of that. You want a tight fit.

Savage posted loads will pull 2100 to 2300 fps.

Look at 300 grainers and harvestor crushed rib sabots.

I never bought these but if I stayed with stock I would have bought a Thor sizing kit. They offer 4 sizes of 50 cal full bore bullets and you test which one fits best.

You gun was designed on 300 grain pills....
Old 07-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Those guns were designed around 300 gr. bullets. Vihtavuori powder is good. the 110 uses similar charges as 4759 . VV120 a slower burn rate and charges around 60 -65 grains is also good with either H4198 or IMR4198 similar weight charge.The advantage of the slower powder is that it creates less pressure.
Be sure to let the rifle cool between shots if your shooting for tight groups.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:17 AM
Banned

Oh for sure

I was under the impression that they were having issues with their smokeless loads? Not so much blackhorn or pyrodex

I was looking at the mcwhorter ones. They claim 2800 FPS with 325 gr 45cal sabotless. And half moa accuracy
That’s insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcw View Post
Sure they blow up - double load any ML it will go sky high.

I’ve owned about 9 of them. Still have one that I converted to .458 sabotless rig.

There are a lot of good loads out there. Go to savage arms and look under owners. They have an updated load section.

I have used 5744,4759 and others.

One of my biggest concerns were loose loads and it is my understanding this could cause ringed barrels. Be careful of that. You want a tight fit.

Savage posted loads will pull 2100 to 2300 fps.

Look at 300 grainers and harvestor crushed rib sabots.

I never bought these but if I stayed with stock I would have bought a Thor sizing kit. They offer 4 sizes of 50 cal full bore bullets and you test which one fits best.

You gun was designed on 300 grain pills....
Old 07-06-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Oh for sure

I was under the impression that they were having issues with their smokeless loads? Not so much blackhorn or pyrodex

I was looking at the mcwhorter ones. They claim 2800 FPS with 325 gr 45cal sabotless. And half moa accuracy
That’s insane
Savages are good but when you mention the other 45 cal their claim is plausible.

Best I’ve done in one of my rigs is 2922 fps with a 310 pill and .76 inch group at 300 yards.

I have several groups sub half MOA.

They are expensive to build but you will be simply amazed. They make great BH209 guns as well.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the info. Can you run 300gr SST out of the short black MMP sabots? I used black hornady sabots before but found them to be very inconsistent. I learned about the MMP and switched over. I have not had a single issue since.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigorgohome View Post
Thanks for the info. Can you run 300gr SST out of the short black MMP sabots? I used black hornady sabots before but found them to be very inconsistent. I learned about the MMP and switched over. I have not had a single issue since.
Yes and as long as it’s a tight fit you should be good. I’ve taken deer with that combo.

Smokeeter gave you some good advice. You may want to read his post again.

Cooling between is super important. If you have run it warm you may need to clean out the plastic residue.

He also suggested a powder that is fantastic - 4198.

There is a website dedicated to smokeless ML’ing you may want to check out.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcw View Post
Yes and as long as it’s a tight fit you should be good. I’ve taken deer with that combo.

Smokeeter gave you some good advice. You may want to read his post again.

Cooling between is super important. If you have run it warm you may need to clean out the plastic residue.

He also suggested a powder that is fantastic - 4198.

There is a website dedicated to smokeless ML’ing you may want to check out.

I appreciate the info. I also do have about 5lbs of imr 4198 left, I'll need to give it a whirl and see how that works....