Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 11:41 AM

Default Blind cover for geese

I see a lot more guys using willow blinds for geese. Seems most use a frame then surround it with large willow branches. What I am wondering, setting something like that in the middle of a wheat field, wouldnt that foliage stick out with all the greenery?

Only seem to be mostly smart local geese around, need those dumb migrant birds to get here
Old 09-25-2018, 11:58 AM

I think the point is for it to stick out. There are willow bushes and what not in some fields, especially around a pond or whatever. The geese see it as something that is naturally there and seem not to care. The thing about willow blinds I find funniest is that the birds seem to be fine with a willow bush growing overnight.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
I think the point is for it to stick out. There are willow bushes and what not in some fields, especially around a pond or whatever. The geese see it as something that is naturally there and seem not to care. The thing about willow blinds I find funniest is that the birds seem to be fine with a willow bush growing overnight.
This is my thought too,for how smart these birds are they don’t seem to mind the bush that grew over night. But enough people use them and succeed,we're giving it a shot this season. With all the moisture right now might be nice to keep the coffins nice and clean and to not have to lay on the cold wet ground seems to be a plus.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:23 PM

I have heard that they work well if there are bushes that border the field. So even if you're in the middle of the field and the shelterbelt or whatever is super far away, the geese don't see a problem with it. I opted out of using my coffin blind on the weekend and stacked some bales, stuck willow branches all around them and it worked great. We stayed nice and warm, had lots of room, and got to shoot standing up. It's way better than a coffin blind when it works.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:38 PM

Great answers, thanks guys. Have a layout, but due to a bad quad accident, kills my back. The fishing rod holders work good too to hold the branches in the ground--Ill grab a few extra of those. Much prefer the haybale too
Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 PM

Default corn

get some corn stalks blends in like magic.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:33 PM

I have the Fred Zink stand up bling I weaved cat tails and reed grass through the grass holds works slick I still use willlw branches for extra cover.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
I see a lot more guys using willow blinds for geese. Seems most use a frame then surround it with large willow branches. What I am wondering, setting something like that in the middle of a wheat field, wouldnt that foliage stick out with all the greenery?

Only seem to be mostly smart local geese around, need those dumb migrant birds to get here
It depends on the area your hunting, usually lots of pocket bush around the area I hunt so they seem to blend in well. The last couple of years sometimes I use a bit different setup with the willow blinds. Instead of a sort of V or J setup I have two parallel lines with the willow blind on the side. Seems to be working well and the birds finish better.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:24 PM

Pocket bush and shelter belts make a big difference. We make a rectangle with bales (1 length of bale per shooter) and try to cover it all up with willow. Next step is trying to figure out how to cover the top a bit better so geese right over top of us don't get spooked or see us.

Last edited by Joezam18; 09-26-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: adding another picture
Old 09-26-2018, 01:01 PM

Nice batch of specs you have there. For ours, I just bend over a few willow branches, and it covers the top fairly well.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:46 PM

We use avian X A frame blinds. They are great. They set up in minutes and you can roll them up with the brush on them for the next hunt. These pics we have two of them joined together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2018, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinebeers View Post
We use avian X A frame blinds. They are great. They set up in minutes and you can roll them up with the brush on them for the next hunt. These pics we have two of them joined together.

Those look really good!
Old 09-26-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Looks great, $700/per though.....
Old 09-26-2018, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Looks great, $700/per though.....
Really.............. they are nice but I definitely wouldn't pay 700 bucks for them.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:32 PM

I work in a steel shop, sold some cheap tubing to a member here for blinds --they turned out great.

Just need a welder who loves waterfowl, would be happy to trade materials for labor to get us both a new blind for MUCH cheaper
Old 09-27-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Really.............. they are nice but I definitely wouldn't pay 700 bucks for them.
Ya they are pricey. I got mine for 600 I think. They are worth there weight in gold though when it comes to versatility and ease of set up
Old 09-27-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I work in a steel shop, sold some cheap tubing to a member here for blinds --they turned out great.

Just need a welder who loves waterfowl, would be happy to trade materials for labor to get us both a new blind for MUCH cheaper
The blinds that my hunting partner built are far superior to any of the commercial units that I have seen. The magnetic drop down front, is a great idea.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:21 AM

Hitting a loaded pea field this weekend one day and wheat the next. Think I'll stick with haybale the way it is, as blends in perfect for pea field--matches exactly. I will cut some willow branches for wheat field the next day though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180927-112240.jpg (7.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Hitting a loaded pea field this weekend one day and wheat the next. Think I'll stick with haybale the way it is, as blends in perfect for pea field--matches exactly. I will cut some willow branches for wheat field the next day though.
I was skeptical, but after having geese land in our spread , in the middle of an open field, except for the willow blind, I am a believer.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I was skeptical, but after having geese land in our spread , in the middle of an open field, except for the willow blind, I am a believer.
Wheat or peas?
Old 09-27-2018, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ya they are pricey. I got mine for 600 I think. They are worth there weight in gold though when it comes to versatility and ease of set up
Everybody spends money where there interests are be it hunting, fishing, golf etc. So just another expense for your hunting but when it works as well as you say for your hunting I would agree well worth it.

For me I had a trailer already for my snowmobile, so room was not an issue and making one out of wood that will comfortably seat 5 probably cost me less than 100 bucks. Setup is very quick with 2 guys maybe 10 minutes.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Wheat or peas?
Barley. The blind looks like willows/poplars, it's not meant to blend in with the stubble, so it really doesn't matter what the crop is.