Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM

Default Hows the bow river near cochrane?

I am lookin for somewhere close to home to go fish for a bit and havent tried this area of the bow river, how is it for fish and what should i use?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:02 PM

i have only every fished down a little east of the bridge in cochrane once or twice and didn't catch a thing! i would be interested in finding out where some decent holes are in the area too? Where abouts do you live Battery?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:06 PM

first what kind of fishing spin or fly and do u wan tt float trip or a walk and wade. If you want to find a good spot to walk and wae or float turn left after goig across the bridge to the third lights and turn left until the resovior and turn left on a gravel road and that should take you to the dam. If want to walk and wade there is a island on the way to cochrane it is called wildcat island. It has a sign on the isladn so you know which one it is. If using spin put ona size 4 or 6 panther martin in yellow or black and cast upstream and let it foalt down then reel in. If fly use princes nymphs adn copper johns or hopper dropper with a strike indacater about 7 to 8 feet away from nymph. any caddis, misqiut or blue winged olive.

Good luck
Old 09-23-2008, 05:03 AM

Default Wildcat

I was at Wildcat on the weekend. What a trash heap it's become. There was so much garbage everywhere. Coffee cups and cigarette packs strewn everywhere. Packed out two co-op bags full of garbage and barely made a dent.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout hunter View Post
first what kind of fishing spin or fly and do u wan tt float trip or a walk and wade. If you want to find a good spot to walk and wae or float turn left after goig across the bridge to the third lights and turn left until the resovior and turn left on a gravel road and that should take you to the dam. If want to walk and wade there is a island on the way to cochrane it is called wildcat island.

Good luck
I take it this is if you were going north on the HWY over the bridge you would go left correct? I am probably going to head out there tomorrow but i will be coming the back way from Airdrie.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:23 PM

yes that is the way.. What are u using??
Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout hunter View Post
yes that is the way.. What are u using??
never made it out yesterday but im hopefully going to make it out Sunday, going to try both fly fishing and spinner. I am just starting to learn how to use the fly rod so not sure how well i will do? Bith the spinner i was going to try the usual, small spoons and spinners, but i also wanted to try bottom bouncing a gulp alive leach? i hear that works really well... lots of snags though obviously. Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:23 PM

Small spoons and spinners are a good way for spin fishing. Look at the regs though because gulp alive or any infused lure is considered bait and that stretch of the bow only maggots are allowed until sept 30th. I would just target whitefish right now. Use your spinning rod and use a small caddiss or any small dry fly tipped with a maggot with a few splits shots to get it down and set your depth with bobber at about 7 feet and I can guarantee you will catch tons of rockies. As for the fly rod hoppers and san juan worm are working awesome right now.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCraM View Post
Small spoons and spinners are a good way for spin fishing. Look at the regs though because gulp alive or any infused lure is considered bait and that stretch of the bow only maggots are allowed until sept 30th. I would just target whitefish right now. Use your spinning rod and use a small caddiss or any small dry fly tipped with a maggot with a few splits shots to get it down and set your depth with bobber at about 7 feet and I can guarantee you will catch tons of rockies. As for the fly rod hoppers and san juan worm are working awesome right now.
Really? i thought they were still artificial lures? I will give your suggestions a shot , thanks for the tips
Cheers!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:27 AM

I have fished it a lot. If you get out in the next couple of weeks early in the morning the whitefish are plentyful right now. Will even get a few browns and bows. Managed to sneek down the other morning for an hour caught 10 whitefish.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post
I have fished it a lot. If you get out in the next couple of weeks early in the morning the whitefish are plentyful right now. Will even get a few browns and bows. Managed to sneek down the other morning for an hour caught 10 whitefish.
Okay i was out yesterday morning trying to find this spot and was at a complete loss? I think i need better directions? AND A LOT OF PRACTICE WITH THE FLY ROD! I did go out on to that point that was just built where all that construction is going on. Tried both the pools on either side of the point but no luck?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:01 PM

Default Access to wildcat island

Were at RR#53 yesterday. At the end of road, there is a sign says no trespassing.

How can we get down to the river and island without trespassing?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post
My typical experience every time I fish there. Right by the bridge (south side), and both east and west of the bridge (usually north side).
Old 05-06-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCraM View Post
Maggots not allowed this time of year. Only allowed from august 16to sept 30.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 PM

Default which bridge ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
My typical experience every time I fish there. Right by the bridge (south side), and both east and west of the bridge (usually north side).
Toirtis,

Which bridge do you mean? the reservior bridge on HWY 1A?

I want to get some fish around Ghost Res, even whitefish, with my daughter, but don't know where to start. Would you please be more specific?
I have both casting spinning and fly rods.

Thanks,
Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 PM

If you are trying to get down to the river right by Ghost dam. You may want to rethink that with a young one tagging alone. If you turn into the new cabins just before Ghost you can keep going on that gravel road and end up by the dam. BUT thats a long way down for a kid and even longer on the way up. Easy spot to get on the river is right in town where Jumping Pound meets the Bow. There are a few pools in there. I have has some good days along that part of the river.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 05-06-2012, 10:11 PM

there is or atleast used to be a ton of whites and bows all around cochrane. depending on time of year is the kind of fish you will catch.. panther martin 3/8 brown and white work well or a coachman with the wing clipped off. stone flynymps will cath you a boat load... try fishing by the spray lakes rec center right on the corner. early morning before the water comes up untill 1 hour after is the best.. on that corner i have caught whites lakers brooks bulls bows browns and even a ling .. it is or at least used to be awesome fishing.. i hope this helps................