Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 AM

Default Vexilar Fish Phone

Hi guys,

Anyone have experience with this unit? I like the option to just use your phone screen. Hows the camera, etc?. Reviews?
Old 12-23-2014, 10:48 AM

I have one, havent had the chance to use it a lot yet. I bought it to use with a tip up. Works good, but this year will use with larger tablet and see how that goes. Had trouble seeing the screen in outdoors and in cab of truck last year. Will be using in a tent this year so that should be better.

I like it for using with tip ups because no wire or cable to string out across the ice back to the tent.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:34 AM

I bought one last year. Absolutely love it. I use it with my phone and a 10 inch asus tablet. It is great to be able to record video and take pictures of whats being seen on cam. I have a few youtube vids that were done with the fishphone. excellent product.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:19 PM

A cheaper alternative may exist.
I just ordered a 12v wifi transmitter from ebay for $50, to use in a project. It's marketed as a device to make back-up cameras wireless, claims a range of 50m, and draws 130 milliamps.
It plugs into a video out connection, works with Android and that other company, and needs to be connected to a power supply.
If everything works as advertised, any cam with a video out can become a poor man's Fish Phone.

If anyone is interested, I can update when it arrives and I get it hooked up.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwloco View Post
I bought one last year. Absolutely love it. I use it with my phone and a 10 inch asus tablet. It is great to be able to record video and take pictures of whats being seen on cam. I have a few youtube vids that were done with the fishphone. excellent product.
Do you have a link to the videos? Would love to see the quality!
Old 12-23-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Fool View Post
I just ordered a 12v wifi transmitter from ebay for $50, to use in a project. It's marketed as a device to make back-up cameras wireless, claims a range of 50m, and draws 130 milliamps.
It plugs into a video out connection, works with Android and that other company, and needs to be connected to a power supply.
If everything works as advertised, any cam with a video out can become a poor man's Fish Phone.

Always interested!

Old 12-23-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Yes, please update when done!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
Do you have a link to the videos? Would love to see the quality!
Here a a couple links. Water was a bit murky but not too bad.

http://youtu.be/iTZ5A2iDIIU

http://youtu.be/qgC8H5s3lwM
Old 12-23-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwloco View Post
Here a a couple links. Water was a bit murky but not too bad.

http://youtu.be/iTZ5A2iDIIU

http://youtu.be/qgC8H5s3lwM
Awesome! Just sold me on that idea, I'll be picking one of these up for sure. For that price and the convenience of just hooking it up to the phone, its a no brainer.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 AM

It arrived, and it works great. I recorded a little perch being caught at Gull a couple days ago. If someone knows how to post a vid uploaded to TinyPic and wants to share that info, I can post the vid, but it's just 15 seconds of a 5" perch getting hooked. The water is stained, but the picture in the recording is identical to the picture on the monitor of the Aqua-Vu 715C that I was taking the video feed from.
I never did find out the range. I walked about 150' or so from the tent and still had a good picture.

Here's a link to the device. I will be ordering a second one. One will be hardwired to a marcum camera and the other will be a portable dvr that can be used on other cameras.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261611413019?...84.m1497.l2649
Old 01-03-2015, 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=jwloco;2668889]I bought one last year. Absolutely love it. I use it with my phone and a 10 inch asus tablet. It is great to be able to record video and take pictures of whats being seen on cam. I have a few youtube vids that were done with the fishphone. excellent product.[/QU

Sorry just saw your links thanks

Last edited by Stryker2; 01-03-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:43 AM

Here are two I made w/mine last season...

http://youtu.be/i1U_XHm8UUw

http://youtu.be/GjtQTHezCac

Cheers.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:00 AM

Default Fish phone

I had one last year. Here is a video of me almost getting a pike and then my wife stole the show! This was recorded with an Ipad. The android system does a better job of the video...the iphone/pad has a more pixalated look to it.

Battery always lasted full day, never had a minutes trouble with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpOPxvN149Q

Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:24 AM

Default Vexilar Fishphone

Hi guys... I've been reading the comments on this thread as I'm thinking of purchasing this product. I've read a lot of reviews on it, and watched a lot of You tube vids, sounds like a pretty decent camera for the dollar. Please post the results of your purchase if you decide to buy one before me! LOL!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Hi guys... I've been reading the comments on this thread as I'm thinking of purchasing this product. I've read a lot of reviews on it, and watched a lot of You tube vids, sounds like a pretty decent camera for the dollar. Please post the results of your purchase if you decide to buy one before me! LOL!
I bought one on boxing day...I LOVE IT. Tested it out in 50 FOW at Spray Lakes on Saturday next to my buddies Marcum and mine had the better picture on a 10 inch screen (Galaxy Tablet 10.1 inch), I was very impressed with the picture at max depth, it was almost crystal clear and still had color instead of switching to black and white automatically. Also, his died and I was able to just switch mine to my phone screen once the tablet died after 6 hours. I seriously suggest buying it, you cant beat it for the price!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
I bought one on boxing day...I LOVE IT. Tested it out in 50 FOW at Spray Lakes on Saturday next to my buddies Marcum and mine had the better picture on a 10 inch screen (Galaxy Tablet 10.1 inch), I was very impressed with the picture at max depth, it was almost crystal clear and still had color instead of switching to black and white automatically. Also, his died and I was able to just switch mine to my phone screen once the tablet died after 6 hours. I seriously suggest buying it, you cant beat it for the price!
Great reply! I'm stoked to hear you had a good experience! And in 50 FOW at that! I will be using it on the same tablet as yours as well so this is very helpful. Where did you buy yours if I may ask? Thanks for the comment I think I've just made up my mind..I'm buying one!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Great reply! I'm stoked to hear you had a good experience! And in 50 FOW at that! I will be using it on the same tablet as yours as well so this is very helpful. Where did you buy yours if I may ask? Thanks for the comment I think I've just made up my mind..I'm buying one!
Got mine at the Fishin Hole. Both them and Cabelas had them on regular for the same price, however Fishin hole had 10% off so I chose them.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:33 PM

I had some interest via PM about the wifi transmitter option, so I thought I'd put this here.It's not ideal, and it distorts a 4:3 vid to 16:9, but still kinda cool, IMO.

Pike & Walleye Video
Old 02-18-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I had some interest via PM about the wifi transmitter option, so I thought I'd put this here.It's not ideal, and it distorts a 4:3 vid to 16:9, but still kinda cool, IMO.

Pike & Walleye Video
Looks pretty good to me. Thank you for posting.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:28 PM

Have used one for 2 seasons and use it with my tablet and love it. Works awesome.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:28 PM

Default Vexilar Fish Phone

I love the Fish Phone but today mine started turning off for no good reason! This is the second one that I know of that's done that! I'm not too happy about that problem, so I'm now not sure if I'm going to keep it or try something else! Great concept when it works well! LOL!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:03 PM

Tempting. Very tempting...