Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-04-2018, 10:18 PM

I’ve had good times with the .243, but I’ve discovered that with 2.5 grains more powder I’m running the 6.5x55 with same recoil (1 pound heavier rifle) and more capability for anything I want to tip over. Both are outstandingly accurate.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:42 PM

After my wife used her 243 for 35 years I got one for myself.
It's just a good honest cartridge '. We load only 95 and 100 gr partitions for them and have not been disappointed. We found the factory offerings in conventional cup and core were overly destructive on meat, and after switching to partitions we never looked back .

Place the bullet like you would an arrow , {keep out of big bones on the inlet side} and you won't have problems with any game.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
After my wife used her 243 for 35 years I got one for myself.
It's just a good honest cartridge '. We load only 95 and 100 gr partitions for them and have not been disappointed. We found the factory offerings in conventional cup and core were overly destructive on meat, and after switching to partitions we never looked back .

Place the bullet like you would an arrow , {keep out of big bones on the inlet side} and you won't have problems with any game.
Spot on!

New an ol'fella back in saskabush who was in his late seventies, we took him out every hunting season for deer, just to get meat in the freezer. He had an old rifle chambered in .243 believe it was a Winchester, he bought it when the round first came out and he took moose, elk, pretty much anything with it as it was his only rifle, think it had a fixed 4 power scope on it too...he laughed at me when I showed him my then custom 7 mm STW...he called it a powder burner then told me about dead is dead or something along those lines...now I carry a 6-284 which was a 243 first but I like wildcats and reloading so I changed it up just a bit but that little 243 took a few critters all one shot kills.
With the quality of today's bullets there is no real need for something that kicks like a mule to take game but they are fun too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-08-2018, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Just ran quick comparison of standard hornady loads in the bison calculator of 6.5 Grendel 123 gr vs .243 95 gr sst superformance and .243 100 gr btsp standard velocity load.

If 1000 ft/lbs minimum impact energy for deer is your rule of thumb the Grendel holds that to 400 yards and both .243 loads hold it to 375 yards.

If 1600 fps min impact velocity is your rule of thumb then the Grendel holds that to 625 yards, both .243 loads to 650 yards.

Transonic at about 1050 yards for the Grendel and 100 gr .243 and 1100 yards for the superformance .243.

Muzzle velocity factory stated 24" barrels by Hornady: Grendel 123 gr 2580, vs 3185 for 95 gr superformance and 2960 for the 100 gr standard velocity load.

Barrel life quick searches show .243 in the 1500-3000 range and Grendels in the 5000+ range....good enough for rule of thumb cartridge shopping data.

Blah blah bla bla.......just last week watching Best of the West on WTV (or maybe it was Long Range Pursuit or one of them other LR Hunting shows(?).....no matter)watched a guy flatten a 200"+ Muley at 1080 yards with......wait for it..........

.......a .243!!
And I mean flattened/DRT in his tracks!

Also,for fellow fans of Teborasaurus Rex of YouTube fame,in his Sniper 101 YT series in the opening credits/intro in the earlier episodes,he makes a first round hit on a Coors Light can at 1100(?) yards with his .243
(Possibly ONLY 900 yards(?)I forget exactly,been awhile since I've binge watched the entire series and many episodes 2-3-4x plus)

Not trying to be a Richard with the bla bla bla,jest sayn......you can crunch all the numbers you want and talk about poor BCs,and calculate minimum velocities and retained energy "required" to kill deer from behind a computer screen.....but in the REAL world where we play and hunt,deer don't read ballistic programs and the .243 can get'er done at amazing distances in the right hands.

Now obviously,the vast vast vast majority of hunters have nowhere near the skills required to pull off shots like that with ANY rifle,earsplitten loudenboomer magnumitus Hammer of Thor included,let alone a .243,jest sayn.....don't underestimate the .243

Last edited by West O'5; 05-08-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:04 AM
Banned

I never said the .243 was a bad choice lol, i do think it's a great cartridge, but in today's choices and general understanding of ballistics there are some fantastic other choices too.

To make a .243 sing like you're describing then you have to rebarrel to a 7 or 8 twist, you have to reload 105-115 gr, maybe have magazine length work done on the rifle to handle the out of spec oal of the new round etc. etc. etc. bla bla bla Love to see a factory .243 shooting factory ammo even get to 1100 yards supersonic.

6 creedmoor or 6.5 creedmoor will do that, factory rifles/ammo

the OP didn't specify his level of tech around the .243 question, assumption is he was inquiring about saami spec off the shelf .243...peace bro
Old 05-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I never said the .243 was a bad choice lol, i do think it's a great cartridge, but in today's choices and general understanding of ballistics there are some fantastic other choices too.

To make a .243 sing like you're describing then you have to rebarrel to a 7 or 8 twist, you have to reload 105-115 gr, maybe have magazine length work done on the rifle to handle the out of spec oal of the new round etc. etc. etc. bla bla bla Love to see a factory .243 shooting factory ammo even get to 1100 yards supersonic.

6 creedmoor or 6.5 creedmoor will do that, factory rifles/ammo

the OP didn't specify his level of tech around the .243 question, assumption is he was inquiring about saami spec off the shelf .243...peace bro
Haha,no offence intended bro,like I said,wasn't trying to be a Rick. ✌️
....jest sayn....people often get too hung up on recommended minimum retained energy etc when as I'm sure you're aware,it's all about bullet placement.
If kinetic energy was the carved in stone/end all to be all determining factor in killing effectively,then none of us would be bowhunting. 😜
Old 05-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Haha,no offence intended bro,like I said,wasn't trying to be a Rick. ✌️
....jest sayn....people often get too hung up on recommended minimum retained energy etc when as I'm sure you're aware,it's all about bullet placement.
If kinetic energy was the carved in stone/end all to be all determining factor in killing effectively,then none of us would be bowhunting. 😜
we agree on all that too, i don't like the ke rule of thumb but a lot do so i include it in comparisons...that's the only reason i included it

i personally like the minimum impact velocity rules of thumb for types of bullets and being a guy who prefers the more frangible camp vs the tough delayed expansion camp then i tend to run around 1600 fps as a general safe rule for most of the amax like bullets, otherwise the little grendel punches way above its weight for powder burned as it compares very close to the old .243 and what we generally ask of it

when it comes to placement factory ammo to factory ammo 6.5 G vs .243...the grendel has higher s.d. and in fact gets above the often recommended minimum .250 for 3rd class game (elk etc.) and none of the .243 factory options do, so depending how you look at things, bullet first, impact velocity 2nd etc. the 6.5 Grendel is more appealing than the .243 in all except the pbrz (0-300 the .243 is pretty much hold dead on, the 6.5 Grendel will be more like 0-250)...that is the only advantage i see in the .243 and you burn another 20 gr of powder to do it, and for now and a while yet easier to find factory ammo and rifles
Old 06-27-2018, 07:46 PM

243 is awesome for deer sized game, a lot of recoil sensitive ppl use it for LRP as well.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherbyFan65 View Post
Wont be that way for long 6.5 Creedmoor is the most popular cartridge in the world right now, every ammo manufacturer is loading for it now and most rifle companies if not all.
Its not the most popular in the world. But I'm glad you like it
Old 06-27-2018, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider View Post
Is a under appreciated round for big game.
Good for yotes, deer, even larger animals elk,
moose and black bear with the right bullet and shot placement.
And shot placement is easier because if it’s soft recoil.
100gr Nosler partition works excellent on all game.
Just my two cents.
I agree, partially,,it is under appreciated for coyotes and deer,,,and very over appreciated for elk and moose,,,,,,ok I set the bait,,,,who’s gunna take it!!!!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post

Blah blah bla bla.......just last week watching Best of the West on WTV (or maybe it was Long Range Pursuit or one of them other LR Hunting shows(?).....no matter)watched a guy flatten a 200"+ Muley at 1080 yards with......wait for it..........

.......a .243!!
And I mean flattened/DRT in his tracks!

Also,for fellow fans of Teborasaurus Rex of YouTube fame,in his Sniper 101 YT series in the opening credits/intro in the earlier episodes,he makes a first round hit on a Coors Light can at 1100(?) yards with his .243
(Possibly ONLY 900 yards(?)I forget exactly,been awhile since I've binge watched the entire series and many episodes 2-3-4x plus)

Not trying to be a Richard with the bla bla bla,jest sayn......you can crunch all the numbers you want and talk about poor BCs,and calculate minimum velocities and retained energy "required" to kill deer from behind a computer screen.....but in the REAL world where we play and hunt,deer don't read ballistic programs and the .243 can get'er done at amazing distances in the right hands.

Now obviously,the vast vast vast majority of hunters have nowhere near the skills required to pull off shots like that with ANY rifle,earsplitten loudenboomer magnumitus Hammer of Thor included,let alone a .243,jest sayn.....don't underestimate the .243
1383 fps, 425 energy and 307 inchs of drop ish at 1000 yards with 100 grain, yup television is my first go to for reality hunting, a partition or an accubond wont even mushroom at that speed, maybe a ballistic might mushroom instead of explode like the normally do, if it can be hit.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:55 PM

Various calibers have come and gone in my collection, but there has always been a .243
Old 06-28-2018, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
1383 fps, 425 energy and 307 inchs of drop ish at 1000 yards with 100 grain, yup television is my first go to for reality hunting, a partition or an accubond wont even mushroom at that speed, maybe a ballistic might mushroom instead of explode like the normally do, if it can be hit.
That sure sounds like math on a factory load.

No way a factory .243 option will do what was described there. But rebarrelled fast twist running 105's to 115 gr...would look a lot different in those numbers and then yes, as long as the nut behind the wheel can place it...no problem.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:14 AM

Sounds like too many people on here are obsessed with proving their calculator math skills and are forgetting that hunting is not about playing god over other living things to fulfill the shooters moving target ego-satisfaction.

243 is a great round, but as with all cartridges, the shooter needs to learn the limitations and not try to get famous pulling stupid stunts. Respect the animal with your hunting.

Last edited by Nyksta; 06-28-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
That sure sounds like math on a factory load.

No way a factory .243 option will do what was described there. But rebarrelled fast twist running 105's to 115 gr...would look a lot different in those numbers and then yes, as long as the nut behind the wheel can place it...no problem.
Whole lota what ifs in there. I used data from nosler and put that into a ballistics calculator how close to max was I don’t remember but anyway you look at it, the bullet at 1000 yards is going as fast as a .22 rim fire at 50
Old 06-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Sounds like too many people on here are obsessed with proving their calculator math skills and are forgetting that hunting is not about playing god over other living things to fulfill the shooters moving target ego-satisfaction.

243 is a great round, but as with all cartridges, the shooter needs to learn the limitations and not try to get famous pulling stupid stunts. Respect the animal with your hunting.
of course, but this thread is in the guns and ammo section not the hunting section and it is asking about a cartridge
Old 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Whole lota what ifs in there. I used data from nosler and put that into a ballistics calculator how close to max was I don’t remember but anyway you look at it, the bullet at 1000 yards is going as fast as a .22 rim fire at 50
I hear ya. Quick searches as i hadn't run numbers on .243 that far in a long time but they are getting 6 dashers in the 3000 fps range and 6-47's in the 3100-3200 range and .243's over 3200 fps with 105's so....pretty sure that's the type of load that will flatten a deer at 1100 as per the other guys post. Completely agree how few could actually do that at that distance with any cartridge period but this is talking about 'can it do it'....yes it can, it's not asking whether or not the shooter can do it

i ran bone stock 6mm creedmoor 108 gr number at 2960 fps launch and was just under 1500 fps at 1000 yards at zero feet elevation. So add a couple hundred fps for a modern .243 set up with a guy that know's his poop and i have no doubt he could hit a deer at 1100 with 1600 fps and a 105 gr.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:55 PM

Default Good combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
My current go to hunting rifle is the 243 and the 80 gr ttsx. Very effective combo and minimal meat loss when you clip a shoulder. Made the switch a few years ago and couldn’t be happier.

Highly recommend mono metal bullets and keeping shots on game to 300 yards or less.
We took one Antelope and three deer last year with my sons cheap $350 savage 243 with 80 grain Barnes ttsx bullets running about 3120 FPS average all one shot no issues. As I worked out the math to retain expansion you defiantly don’t want to go over 400 yards, under 300 even better.
I was testing the load so we shot all our critters with it last season and it worked well.
Antelope dropped instantly.
One WT and one MD lung shots went under 50 yards.
One WT heart shot runner made it about 80 yards with an eight foot wide blood trail.
243’s have killed a lot of deer over the years.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post

Pretty much.

My 6BR is my most precise rifle, but dammed if I'd take it out for moose hunting. Coyotes maybe. As the OP had mentioned deer, judging a .243 in a hunting context is totally relevant.

I take it that anyone slinging 105gn bullets a couple hundred yards out at deer hasn't been charged yet by a deer at 40 yards even with half its ribcage blown off.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:20 PM

Agree with post26, nice to pick up shell anywhere. Also you can buy a used 243 dirt cheap compared to the other calibers being bandied about especially if it's for a new hunter or kid. Most guys will give them a break on a 243 but not a 6.5, give em more $ to buy shells and practice
Old 06-29-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I hear ya. Quick searches as i hadn't run numbers on .243 that far in a long time but they are getting 6 dashers in the 3000 fps range and 6-47's in the 3100-3200 range and .243's over 3200 fps with 105's so....pretty sure that's the type of load that will flatten a deer at 1100 as per the other guys post. Completely agree how few could actually do that at that distance with any cartridge period but this is talking about 'can it do it'....yes it can, it's not asking whether or not the shooter can do it

i ran bone stock 6mm creedmoor 108 gr number at 2960 fps launch and was just under 1500 fps at 1000 yards at zero feet elevation. So add a couple hundred fps for a modern .243 set up with a guy that know's his poop and i have no doubt he could hit a deer at 1100 with 1600 fps and a 105 gr.

https://youtu.be/N1Sw8fe9hJI

Good lord Stinky,
You must be the second guy from the video.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-29-2018, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Good lord Stinky,
LOL! Bang on.

Windbag with a ballistics program.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:28 PM

Default I love Paul Harrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Good lord Stinky,
That guy doesn’t pull any punches. Ha Ha.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
LOL! Bang on.

Windbag with a ballistics program.
Yessir
Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Banned

Funny, sorry no references provided, but no issue believing the 1100 yrd drt deer with a .243 set up to do so. According to 6mmbr.com they get 3150+ with 115’s out of them, b.c. .585. Tell me where that hits 1500 FPS in your calculator please? I’m on my phone so can’t run it right now but I already know. Because the .243 set up modern was one I considered a long time. No surprise people have taken them to their limits and proven the math, just like most cartridges. Amazing to me people still want to question the math. http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html
Old 07-02-2018, 08:51 AM
Banned

Back to the thread now? I think we can see I’m a cartridge fan. .243 is a good one. But certainly want the op to look at others if just getting into this. Typically considered a decent 300 yrd deer cartridge. But as you can see with lastest in set up ability you can take them to 1k if you like. Still would recommend a creedmoor as a do all one gun that doesn’t beat you over a factory .243. I’d even suggest the Grendel in the same breath if the .243 was asked about.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Banned

ok, ran the numbers I already knew, if said 1080 yrd muley buck was shot with a 115gr at 3150 fps mv, even at sea level it would still have about 1650 fps at impact, ooh and that s.d. though, .278, little needle will have no problem with deer size game penetration at minimum impact velocity

a .243 set up modern for this sort of work using 105's and up...1100 yrd deer are not an issue for the 'cartridge' itself, it's all up to the shooter, here I am defending the .243 on a .243 thread

while also pointing out other choices the op may consider, as he may not be interested in building a .243 that can shoot 115's and all that goes with it...would it fit in a standard magazine even?

you can take a standard cartridge case and make it do a lot more than the original spec if you take things far enough from the gun itself, to reloading etc.

factory to factory though...there are some good choices to also consider when looking at a .243
Old 07-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
ok, ran the numbers I already knew, if said 1080 yrd muley buck was shot with a 115gr at 3150 fps mv, even at sea level it would still have about 1650 fps at impact, ooh and that s.d. though, .278, little needle will have no problem with deer size game penetration at minimum impact velocity

a .243 set up modern for this sort of work using 105's and up...1100 yrd deer are not an issue for the 'cartridge' itself, it's all up to the shooter, here I am defending the .243 on a .243 thread

while also pointing out other choices the op may consider, as he may not be interested in building a .243 that can shoot 115's and all that goes with it...would it fit in a standard magazine even?

you can take a standard cartridge case and make it do a lot more than the original spec if you take things far enough from the gun itself, to reloading etc.

factory to factory though...there are some good choices to also consider when looking at a .243
I m guessing by your continual references to this cartridge being able to shoot a mule deer at 1080 yards that you may actually believe the garbage your spewing. You actually seem to be promoting this. Since this is a hunting forum, a reputable hunting forum. the name being Alberta outdoorsman, not alberta range shooters or dream shooters .com, one could make the assumption that the gun section could also be related to the outdoorsman thus hunting. This all being said and implied, you should be banned from the site for even writing that this is something that can be done, have an inkling of respect for your sport and the animals
Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Banned

Someone else pointed out the show where a guy flattened a big muley buck at 1080 yards with a .243.

I just showed the math behind why that's possible.

Seems people struggle with the concept of proper bullet performance within it's recommended impact velocity ranges.

Just in case you missed it, modern bullet construction and even specs show min/max recommended impact velocity ranges for given bullets. Factor in appropriate weight/s.d. for given said game size and who care's how much powder you have behind it...all that does is tell you how far you can shoot that bullet before it falls out of the recommended min impact velocity where the bullet won't perform as it was designed.

The performance is expected and it is proven afield as you can see by the examples given from 1080 yrd deer and 752 yrd antelope from a Grendel in another thread. Some people can push a cartridge to it's limits. And it's their choice and their right to do so.

I have stated over and over that when it comes down to the shooter themselves likely less than 1% of us could take a cartridge to it's edge of limits in the field on game on a regular basis.

I didn't make that shot, nor could i, i'm definitely not prepared. But i believe there are some people who can and are. And so when fronted with that sort of information and then running the math on it....there's no surprise from me.

Do you see me here recommending that people go out and shoot cartridges to their absolute limit on game? Wtf man

You should have maybe had your coffee first mr.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 07-03-2018 at 08:43 AM.