Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 06:57 PM

Default Next new rifle

I recently have a 30-06 hand me down rifle that shoots great however I can’t resist the urge to buy my own first new rifle. Budget an issue but looked at t/c venture, moa guarantee so will shoot better than I can. Anyone shoot tc? Also what’s a fun ‘hunting’ caliber to play and learn with? For now I won’t shoot at any animal outside outside of 150 as its hopin not hunting for my ability but eventually would love to make the longer shots. Thanks
Old 07-06-2018, 07:11 PM

I have a TC Venture in 3006 and it will shoot. Well made and accurate for the money.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Banned

243 would be my pic for a second gun.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:07 PM

What is your budget? What is the rifle you have now?

Caliber choice , hard to beat 308. Biggest reason is surplus ammo is available. Cheaper practice ammo means more trigger time. I have some Federal XM80 that is around 1.5 moa out of my rifle. Fair amount of surplus available now at decent prices.

Another option is buy a decent 22. Use rest of budget for ammo and glass for both rifles and get trigger time.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:13 PM

My first (of two) white tails were with a BLR 243. I’m having a hard time with deciding 243,25-06, or 270. Main target will be paper but deer likely as well. I do have the 30-06 and will practise with as well. I’ve read as a guest for a long time and new to post. Have taken read advice and started shooting my marlin 22 a lot more. Gone from happy to hit a gopher to try and cut a hole in paper target. Lots of fun and want more!

Last edited by Madmyron; 07-06-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
243 would be my pic for a second gun.
Not a Creedmoor?
Old 07-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmyron View Post
My first (of two) white tails were with a BLR 243. I’m having a hard time with deciding 243,25-06, or 270. Main target will be paper but deer likely as well. I do have the 30-06 and will practise with as well. I’ve read as a guest for a long time and new to post. Have taken read advice and started shooting my marlin 22 a lot more. Gone from happy to hit a gopher to try and cut a hole in paper target. Lots of fun and want more!
I've got 243 and 25-06. Either one would be a good choice to compliment your 30-06.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Not a Creedmoor?
No not a chance. I asked my son once if he was interested in a pipefitting apprenticeship. He said I'd rather a mother that's a hooker then a brother that's a pipefitter. Lol. I feel much the same way about a cm and a 270 for that matter.

Not meant to be derogatory to pipefitter lol.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Banned

I'd get a Creedmoor for sure.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I'd get a Creedmoor for sure.
Nope not gonna bite this time. Lol
Old 07-06-2018, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nope not gonna bite this time. Lol
Hahaha!

Of course I couldn't resist.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Hahaha!

Of course I couldn't resist.
Me to
Old 07-06-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Also what’s a fun ‘hunting’ caliber to play and learn with?
22LR without a doubt. It's fun to go 'hunting' gophers.

And if you practise shooting from field positions at 100yds, you'll quickly develop the skills to shoot your big game rifle with confidence.

CZ455 in 22lr. 2-7x Leupold rimfire scope.

Thank me later.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:36 PM

My rifle now is a 30-06 JC Higgins model 50. Sears gun. I have only shot a handful of rounds with it. Going tomorow to get a range pass, use up the old ammo I have and get some time in shooting. Likely never need another rifle but why not? Want something easy and cheap to shoot but also use for deer
Old 07-06-2018, 11:08 PM

243 win, 270 win, 308 win, or 30/06. Those are the cheap and available everywhere cartidges. 7.62 Nato surplus is garbage bimetal ammo and i dont let it touch my quality 308's. So dont let the cheap surplus military ammo argument sway you much.

Id try out a few different styles of rifles to see what suits you. Are you a detachable mag guy or hinged floorplate. 60* bolt lift or 90*. Controlled round feed or push feed. Do you intend on hiking with your gun, ground blinds, road hunting, range plinking? Are you likely going to be pushing bush or long shots on open fields? Open sights, traditional scope, tactical scope, scout scope, red dot? All these different personal preferences will sway which model rifle may suit you best.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
243 win, 270 win, 308 win, or 30/06. Those are the cheap and available everywhere cartidges. 7.62 Nato surplus is garbage bimetal ammo and i dont let it touch my quality 308's. So dont let the cheap surplus military ammo argument sway you much.

Id try out a few different styles of rifles to see what suits you. Are you a detachable mag guy or hinged floorplate. 60* bolt lift or 90*. Controlled round feed or push feed. Do you intend on hiking with your gun, ground blinds, road hunting, range plinking? Are you likely going to be pushing bush or long shots on open fields? Open sights, traditional scope, tactical scope, scout scope, red dot? All these different personal preferences will sway which model rifle may suit you best.
The bimetal jackets have been used for decades. It's a matter of opinion as to how much if any the could wear a barrel. Lots of guys run the Hirtenburger in some high end rifles for plinking ammo. I have no issues with XM80 which is a bimetal as well. The Nork stuff I don't like as much. Its mild steel , still softer than the barrel.

Not replacing handloading but I always have some ammo to shoot if i don't have time to reload.

I agree with you on the rest of it.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
The bimetal jackets have been used for decades. It's a matter of opinion as to how much if any the could wear a barrel. Lots of guys run the Hirtenburger in some high end rifles for plinking ammo. I have no issues with XM80 which is a bimetal as well. The Nork stuff I don't like as much. Its mild steel , still softer than the barrel.

Not replacing handloading but I always have some ammo to shoot if i don't have time to reload.

I agree with you on the rest of it.
I know its been used for decades and I know throat erosion is caused by the heat from burning powder as well, but bimetal has been shown to be 3 to 4 times harder than copper jacket. So the portion of erosion caused to the rifling by the bullet would be increased 3 to 4 times. Steel cased Norinco bimetal fmj is $0.60 a round, brass cased Hirtenberger bimetal is $0.80 per round. Cheap factory brass cased copper jacket ammo is $1.10 per round. Self loaded plinking copper fmj can be made for about $0.55.

So there is the question. Is the 25% cheaper hirtenberger ammo worth the extra wear and tear of the bimetal bullet to buy it. Id rather reload cheap plinking ammo with non bimetal fmj.

If you're reloading cheap ammo, the cartridge doesnt matter as much. 308 Win is a good cartridge. I just cant stand that crappy surplus ammo. Maybe im too picky, to each their own i guess.

Last edited by Nyksta; 07-07-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
My rifle now is a 30-06 JC Higgins model 50. Sears gun. I have only shot a handful of rounds with it. Going tomorow to get a range pass, use up the old ammo I have and get some time in shooting. Likely never need another rifle but why not? Want something easy and cheap to shoot but also use for deer
I would be keeping that Higgins Mod 50. It should sport a Mauser FN 98 action and will have a chrome-lined barrel made by Hi Standard in the US. Made for, and imported by Sears in the 50's. An oldie, but a true goldie.
However,if you ever want to sell it, plse contact me. Welcome aboard !
Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I would be keeping that Higgins Mod 50. It should sport a Mauser FN 98 action and will have a chrome-lined barrel made by Hi Standard in the US. Made for, and imported by Sears in the 50's. An oldie, but a true goldie.
However,if you ever want to sell it, plse contact me. Welcome aboard !
I'm also a huge fan of the JC Higgins rifles for the same reasons .
Cat
Old 07-07-2018, 11:05 AM

Being as you already have the .30-06 to adequately cover all of your big game hunting from antelope to moose and anything in between,if it were me,and/or if you enjoy hunting coyotes/varmints,I'd be looking to compliment the arsenal with a nice varmint rifle.....a centerfire in the .20-.23 caliber class?
Orrrrr.......if you want a rifle that can pull double duty on both yoties and bigger game,perhaps something in a .243 or other 6mm chambering?
Again though.....you already have the '06,so why buy a compromise/one gun for all (.243/6mm)....might as well just go ahead and get yerself a dedicated smallbore varmint rig imho.

Last edited by West O'5; 07-07-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:14 AM

Default Varmint Gun?

You have your hunting rifle, how bout a varmint rifle? There are lots of fun choices in this segment. If you want a back up deer gun and varmint gun you cant go wrong with a 243, if you want fast flat next to no recoil then a 204 is your choice. You can also consider a 223 if you want fast flat and cheap ammo.

Others have suggested sharing how you intend to use your next purchase and that is wise. It will help others on the forum give informed advice.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:24 AM

I have so much love for the .270win, I cant not recommend it. But my next one myself I think I might delve into the weatherby calibers, particularly the 257. Ive shot a 300wby, its a ray oh death,
Old 07-07-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
I know its been used for decades and I know throat erosion is caused by the heat from burning powder as well, but bimetal has been shown to be 3 to 4 times harder than copper jacket. So the portion of erosion caused to the rifling by the bullet would be increased 3 to 4 times. Steel cased Norinco bimetal fmj is $0.60 a round, brass cased Hirtenberger bimetal is $0.80 per round. Cheap factory brass cased copper jacket ammo is $1.10 per round. Self loaded plinking copper fmj can be made for about $0.55.

So there is the question. Is the 25% cheaper hirtenberger ammo worth the extra wear and tear of the bimetal bullet to buy it. Id rather reload cheap plinking ammo with non bimetal fmj.

If you're reloading cheap ammo, the cartridge doesnt matter as much. 308 Win is a good cartridge. I just cant stand that crappy surplus ammo. Maybe im too picky, to each their own i guess.
Fair points.

From my understanding throat erosion is the main cause of wearing out a barrel. It is caused mostly from the hot gasses of the powder burning. Some by the bullet and abrasives in the barrel. From any information that I have found the use of a bimetal bullet was minimal in the increased wear. Most , not all a clad in copper. XM80 is built this way. Gilding metal clad I think is what they call it. Wear was more affected by different powders . Hotter ones creating faster wear.

Hot gasses can do a lot of damage to metal. I had unfortunately purchased bad Winchester primers. The primer allowed gas to escape at its edge cutting a noticeable mark into the bolt face of my very collectible Ross rifle.

The mild steel may be harder but if it increased wear by 4 times the amount why would the military still use them? I would think that they have conducted far more testing than anyone else out there with regards to what would give them best results. If they could get 4 times the wear from switching jacket design they would have done it .
Old 07-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
No not a chance. I asked my son once if he was interested in a pipefitting apprenticeship. He said I'd rather a mother that's a hooker then a brother that's a pipefitter. Lol. I feel much the same way about a cm and a 270 for that matter.

Lol
Old 07-07-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I recently have a 30-06 hand me down rifle that shoots great however I can’t resist the urge to buy my own first new rifle. Budget an issue but looked at t/c venture, moa guarantee so will shoot better than I can. Anyone shoot tc? Also what’s a fun ‘hunting’ caliber to play and learn with? For now I won’t shoot at any animal outside outside of 150 as its hopin not hunting for my ability but eventually would love to make the longer shots. Thanks
If you are going to get another rifle , I would get something that you can shoot at the range lots without discomfort after multiple rounds like a .243 ( which I personally do not like) or a smaller cased 6.5 like a 6.5MS, 260 Rem, Swede, Creedmore or Lapua,something you might want to shoot deer with as well as shoot st thevrange
If you want Sonething to shoot varmints , a .233, 204, .222 etc.

However I would also learn how to hand load if you do not already do so.
Cat
Old 07-07-2018, 05:53 PM

Yes, a option to reload the rifle you have would save you some funds, and you can make plinking or hunting loads.

A option of coures
Old 07-08-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If you are going to get another rifle , I would get something that you can shoot at the range lots without discomfort after multiple rounds like a .243 ( which I personally do not like) or a smaller cased 6.5 like a 6.5MS, 260 Rem, Swede, Creedmore or Lapua,something you might want to shoot deer with as well as shoot st thevrange
If you want Sonething to shoot varmints , a .233, 204, .222 etc.

However I would also learn how to hand load if you do not already do so.
Cat
you forgot to add 6.5 grendel in a howa mini action is a good short to medium range deer/antelope/coyote rifle with very moderate recoil in an easy handling, light package. only issue is ammo availability. otherwise your choices are spot on.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
you forgot to add 6.5 grendel in a howa mini action is a good short to medium range deer/antelope/coyote rifle with very moderate recoil in an easy handling, light package. only issue is ammo availability. otherwise your choices are spot on.
I didn't forge it , I simply did not list it!
There are a plethora of 6mm's out there as well that would do as well as did smaller cased .25's and even some .30's
The case size is the important thing , moreso than the bullet diameter IMO
Cat
Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 AM

It sounds like your having fun with the 30/06 MM, that's awesome.

Yes, it's not easy being in the firearms sport since the options are endless.

All of us could do this or that when it comes to finding that little nitch that sparks the inner flame.

Hunting, plinking, and everything that is attached to the "whole picture." Ha.

If I would of known this 30 + years ago, I'd have alot more money saved up so I could enjoy what I had in the begining,,, don't get me wrong MM,,, the firearms path I've been on along with many others on this forum truely enjoyed the path we've choosen.

I'm on the last leg of good times with 1 main shooter, the other is for plinking.

We have that option to stay self contained or expand at our choosing.

I wish I asked my self back then, where do I want to be in 20 or 30 years from now.

The camp fire and lawn chair gives us lots of time to plan ideas,,, I'm off to the long range today to burn some powder.

Nothing like tacking the 5" clay pigeons at 800 meters. Hopefully lots of misses. LOL.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:

And per another posting you don't like the 7mag's either.

But you shoot a .243...

Your saving grace was that you're ok with 25-06.