Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2015, 10:22 PM

Default Dogs in Stores

Hi all!
Besides pet stores and Bass Pro...are there any retailers that allow dogs in their stores?
I've heard Lowes and Home Depot are manager dependant, and rumour mill says Cabellas is a firm NO, including service dogs !!
Would love hard and firm facts, as we all have strong opinions about this.
Pet raising is as controversial as parenting!!
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:37 PM

Canmore's good at permitting dogs in banks, Canadian Tire, hardware stores. A lot of places have a box of dog biscuits at the teller/cashier, and many have doggy bowls of fresh water outside their door. Almost anywhere but restaurants and food stores permit well behaved, leashed dogs. At one time there were more dogs in Canmore than kids under 12, but I don't know if that's still true. Good off-leash parks, free doggy-doo bags along the walking trail, tons of rabbits to chase - life's good for a dog in Canmore! (just gotta mind the coyotes & cougars)

Until very recently, Nelson BC didn't allow dogs anywhere in it's down-town core. 'NO DOGS' painted right on their sidewalks. I don't know what they expected people to do on a hot day. Rather than leave our dog unattended in the car - we just stopped going there! They've recently rescinded the bylaw, but we still haven't been back
Old 11-25-2015, 10:44 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Cabelas can't refuse access to a service dog

The Service Dogs Act complements the Blind Persons’ Rights Act by providing Albertans with disabilities who use qualified service dogs the right of access to public places. Individuals with disabilities who are accompanied by qualified service dogs must be allowed access to any location where the general public is allowed.

I took this off the Alberta government site
Old 11-25-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooks 4 seven View Post
Hi all!
Besides pet stores and Bass Pro...are there any retailers that allow dogs in their stores?
I've heard Lowes and Home Depot are manager dependant, and rumour mill says Cabellas is a firm NO, including service dogs !!
Thanks in advance.
That's illegal in Alberta.
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/sta...-s-7.5/latest/
Old 11-25-2015, 10:46 PM

Default Cabelas in Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Cabelas can't refuse access to a service dog

The Service Dogs Act complements the Blind Persons’ Rights Act by providing Albertans with disabilities who use qualified service dogs the right of access to public places. Individuals with disabilities who are accompanied by qualified service dogs must be allowed access to any location where the general public is allowed.

I took this off the Alberta government site

I have seen dogs in the Cabelas in Calgary
Old 11-25-2015, 10:53 PM

Default Dogs in stores

As far as having PETS in Big Box stores, nada! Service dogs yes by all means like having your right hand and necessary but just because I want too have my PET with me I personally don't think it is right, we have enough issues with the human factor that have no ( for a better word) clue about the the rest of the patrons of the store and think that they are the only ones in the store at that time. I will not put all pet owners in the same category, but the ones that think they should bring theirs into the store are not thinking of the people shopping in that store.😡
Old 11-25-2015, 10:54 PM

Thumbs down Fail!

Quote:

. . . and rumour mill says Cabellas is a firm NO, including service dogs !! . . .

Another urban myth ^ ... BUSTED!

Mac
Old 11-26-2015, 12:13 AM

Thumbs down Another 'Fail'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

. . . Until very recently, Nelson BC didn't allow dogs anywhere in it's down-town core. 'NO DOGS' painted right on their sidewalks. I don't know what they expected people to do on a hot day. Rather than leave our dog unattended in the car - we just stopped going there! They've recently rescinded the bylaw, but we still haven't been back
And in speaking of 'urban myths' ... here we have, yet another ^

Nelson is a small city in the interior of BC, with 'several' streets and avenues in it's downtown core. Of all those streets and avenues, only one (1) had any dog restrictions, and they have since been rescinded.

Perhaps Mr. Thumper could provide us with a more accurate/current example.

We await his reply

Mac
Old 11-26-2015, 02:20 AM

I love my dog. I love both my dogs and I even used one of their names in my screen name. I'd love to take my dog into stores as she's very well behaved but I respect the wishes of the store and realize that not everyone feels the same way about dogs as I do. No Problem.

What grinds my gears is when I see a no dogs sign and there's always 2 or 3 people in the store with their little yappy designer mutts tucked in a purse or riding in the shopping cart. No dogs means NO DOGS, just because your "dog" is little doesn't mean it gets to come in the store.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-26-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
And in speaking of 'urban myths' ... here we have, yet another ^

Nelson is a small city in the interior of BC, with 'several' streets and avenues in it's downtown core. Of all those streets and avenues, only one (1) had any dog restrictions, and they have since been rescinded.

Perhaps Mr. Thumper could provide us with a more accurate/current example.

We await his reply

Mac
The last time I was visiting Nelson, on a hot summers day, There were 'NO DOGS' signs painted on the sidewalk on the side street we parked on, about 50m from where it intersected to the main shopping street, that has all of those trendy galleries, boutiques and coffee bars. When we took our dog out of the car, a passerby abruptly pointed out that "No dogs are allowed downtown - and watch it, they enforce the rule". Sorry, I don't have the inclination to look up the name of that street to prove anything to you, nor did I walk the entire downtown area to see exactly the extent of the 'dog exclusion zone'.

Since we couldn't leave our dog unattended in a vehicle on a hot day, our day-long excursion, specifically to visit Nelson, was for naught. So we left and haven't been back. Our day excursions from our cabin now include Kaslo, New Denver, Nakusp or Castlegar/Trail. All dog friendly towns.

In Canmore, I appreciate stores that permit dogs, and they get my business because I try to do all of my errands while walking the dog, and so can go days without using my vehicle. Good for the environment, good for my health, and good for the local economy. The dog appreciates it too!
Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 AM

Wholesale Sports allows dogs. I've had mine in there.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Wholesale Sports allows dogs. I've had mine in there.
I've had my dog in Saskatoon store a few times
Old 11-26-2015, 09:37 AM

I like seeing dogs in stores. Most peoples dogs are far better behaved than their children.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I like seeing dogs in stores. Most peoples dogs are far better behaved than their children.
Except for the time I turned around an my dog was just starting to lift his leg and pee. LOL
Old 11-26-2015, 09:55 AM

TCS-The Camera Store has always allowed dogs (20+yrs) and had treats and water for the canine VIPs.

Up until last year, Spy Hill landfill weigh scale cashiers would give your sidekick pooch a milk bone with the one hand whilst taking your haulage fees with the other.

Kinda makes your day a better one!

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-26-2015, 09:58 AM

Can't leave your dog in the car or you will get arrested and can't take a well behaved/trained dog into a store where there is no food product. Just too many rules !
But yet a person under 16 comitting a major crime would get a slap on the wrist. Even over 18 would get a minimal sentence, probably comunity service.

Most peoples dogs are better behaved than some peoples children.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:08 AM

Pets should be banned period from any retail outlet. Don't understand the need for anyone to bring their pet into a commercial establishment.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hi all!
Thanks in advance.
Service dogs cannot be refused anywhere. They are permitted by law to accompany their owners wherever they go.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:48 AM

If'n your dog comes over to sniff me, please don't mind if I fondle/something you.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Pets should be banned period from any retail outlet. Don't understand the need for anyone to bring their pet into a commercial establishment.
x2 There are people who have a fear of dogs (whether irrational or not doesn't matter). People have allergies. Children can get rambunctious and make the calmest dog nervous and at times lash out. People can trip over them.
The list goes on.
Unless the dog is actually buying something it doesn't need to be in a store.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
As far as having PETS in Big Box stores, nada! Service dogs yes by all means like having your right hand and necessary but just because I want too have my PET with me I personally don't think it is right, we have enough issues with the human factor that have no ( for a better word) clue about the the rest of the patrons of the store and think that they are the only ones in the store at that time. I will not put all pet owners in the same category, but the ones that think they should bring theirs into the store are not thinking of the people shopping in that store.😡
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
I love my dog. I love both my dogs and I even used one of their names in my screen name. I'd love to take my dog into stores as she's very well behaved but I respect the wishes of the store and realize that not everyone feels the same way about dogs as I do. No Problem.

What grinds my gears is when I see a no dogs sign and there's always 2 or 3 people in the store with their little yappy designer mutts tucked in a purse or riding in the shopping cart. No dogs means NO DOGS, just because your "dog" is little doesn't mean it gets to come in the store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
x2 There are people who have a fear of dogs (whether irrational or not doesn't matter). People have allergies. Children can get rambunctious and make the calmest dog nervous and at times lash out. People can trip over them.
The list goes on.
Unless the dog is actually buying something it doesn't need to be in a store.
Agree, with above. Good posts.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Children can get rambunctious and at times lash out. People can trip over them.
The list goes on.
Unless the child is actually buying something it doesn't need to be in a store.
I find this to be very true as well.

But, alas, many stores allow both. Guess your only choice is to not shop there.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
The last time I was visiting Nelson, on a hot summers day, There were 'NO DOGS' signs painted on the sidewalk on the side street we parked on, about 50m from where it intersected to the main shopping street, that has all of those trendy galleries, boutiques and coffee bars. When we took our dog out of the car, a passerby abruptly pointed out that "No dogs are allowed downtown - and watch it, they enforce the rule". Sorry, I don't have the inclination to look up the name of that street to prove anything to you, nor did I walk the entire downtown area to see exactly the extent of the 'dog exclusion zone'.

Since we couldn't leave our dog unattended in a vehicle on a hot day, our day-long excursion, specifically to visit Nelson, was for naught. So we left and haven't been back. Our day excursions from our cabin now include Kaslo, New Denver, Nakusp or Castlegar/Trail. All dog friendly towns.

In Canmore, I appreciate stores that permit dogs, and they get my business because I try to do all of my errands while walking the dog, and so can go days without using my vehicle. Good for the environment, good for my health, and good for the local economy. The dog appreciates it too!
It's called Baker Street and yes they did do a No Dogs policy for awhile. This was in an attempt to get rid of all the hippies and rifraf that were just hanging out on Baker panhandling all day with their dogs that were sometime aggressive and in the way of a fairly busy pedestrian area. It's a widely known concern around Nelson.
Stinkin Hippies!!
Old 11-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Banned

I cannot understand why people think it is necessary to take their dog shopping, maybe if they are traveling and it is hot outside yes but otherwise why do you think it is necessary to parade your animal around? The potential problems this can create are great and for the animal itself it really is not a good thing to put them in an unknown stressful situation.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:39 PM

If a private store owner has no problem allowing dogs in his establishment, that's his choice. You have the choice to shop there or not. Personally I would prefer dogs who have likely had some sort of discipline and training over kids who quite likely haven't had either.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:41 PM

Shoppers Drug Mart has a service animal policy.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:50 PM

dogs belong in dog kennels......i hate dogs.....except mine.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notpoliticallycorrect View Post
I cannot understand why people think it is necessary to take their dog shopping, maybe if they are traveling and it is hot outside yes but otherwise why do you think it is necessary to parade your animal around? The potential problems this can create are great and for the animal itself it really is not a good thing to put them in an unknown stressful situation.
I took my dog into WSS in Saskatoon only because we were passing through Toon town, it was hot outside. I wanted to do some shopping without stressing out about her in the truck. She had a great time everybody fussed over her.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
dogs belong in dog kennels......i hate dogs.....except mine.
I hate yours. So it's all even.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:40 PM
AO Sponsor

I allow dogs in my store and even bring my own to work sometimes. I happily announce that we are dog friendly! If someone doesn't like it, I understand totally and apologize but in the end, I built my business to be mine and to cultivate a customer base that appreciates our ways, so if my way doesn't work for them, no hard feelings! That is why more than one business can be successful. You can choose to deal where you feel comfortable. I in fact do have a very good customer who has a massive and very real dog phobia, and she will call when she is coming and ask if any dogs are present and if so, I meet her outside and take care of her stuff personally. She is scared to death of dogs and still she realizes it is her issue and she has no business telling others how they must conform to her issues and instead she works around them and appreciates us accomadating her...