Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2017, 03:50 PM

Default Canadian tire seems to have changed their tune a bit

Recent info from the ATA newsletter

2. Canadian Tire Removal of Fur Products:
The following update has been provided by Ian Stuart from Alberta Fish and Game Association…. A letter of
objection to the subject and multiple follow up phone calls later, I eventually got a cautiously worded response
back from Canadian Tire Corporation.
Canadian Tire’s response states that the claim by PETA on the “Victories” tab of their web site under the
banner “Huge Canadian Retailer drops fur!” was incorrect, that CT would continue to support hunting, fishing
ATA MEMBERS HIGHLIGHTS TO
APRIL 30, 2017
and trapping, and that the discontinuation of fur trimmed products in subsidiaries such as Sport check is due
to “customer feedback” (? ). It went on to state that Canadian Tire would ask PETA to remove the “Victory
claim” from their website.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the latter action seems to have been done, as I could no longer find any
current reference to Canadian Tire on PETA’s web site while preparing for another follow up call. (Which I went
ahead with, thanking them for taking action).
AFGA certainly can’t take all the credit, as I know other organizations and individuals responded to Canadian
Tire, but collectively we seem to have made a difference. And it feels good to have been part of one small
victory for the consumptive conservation side!
Ian Stuart – Alberta Gish and Game Association