Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2020, 07:20 PM

Both brown trout were amazing the duck mountains is especially close to home.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2020, 07:50 PM

That brown is just shocking! It was giving me the chills.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-05-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
1” short of the live release WORLD record.
By Eric Haatja none the less
Old 02-06-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
That brown is just shocking! It was giving me the chills.

Behemoth Brown!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2020, 02:32 PM

I've lost track of how many aerial-fish shots we've had in this season of 39H. Incredible, all the flying fish. I was begging for MB to steal the pike point on a random stocked-trout lake...would have been HILARIOUS, with the Konrads going way the heck up north on a "gimme" trophy lake.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I've lost track of how many aerial-fish shots we've had in this season of 39H. Incredible, all the flying fish. I was begging for MB to steal the pike point on a random stocked-trout lake...would have been HILARIOUS, with the Konrads going way the heck up north on a "gimme" trophy lake.
Pretty much gotta do that being the farthest west team. Many more species call Ontario home compared to sask.
Konrad boys start the tournament with a handicapp.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Pretty much gotta do that being the farthest west team. Many more species call Ontario home compared to sask.
Konrad boys start the tournament with a handicapp.
I disagree....Diefenbaker, and the South Sask River (Petrofka), keep them on an even playing field....
Old 02-06-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I disagree....Diefenbaker, and the South Sask River (Petrofka), keep them on an even playing field....
Only in terms of quality of fish, not quantity of species. Hell, there are almost as many species of bass and panfish in Ontario as there is species in the SSR.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Not even close.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:05 AM

Most boring episode so far.
Hoping the finale is a doozy finish!
Old 02-13-2020, 07:19 AM

Manitoba sure made a move, I had a feeling someone was going to beat that pike of the Konrads and it didn't take Manitoba long once they were at the right lake.

You could see the grind starting to get to people, especially Taro. I wonder how much sleep these guys are actually getting during this competition. Doesn't sound like much.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Most boring episode so far.
Hoping the finale is a doozy finish!
I agree. Pretty slow episode!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Manitoba sure made a move, I had a feeling someone was going to beat that pike of the Konrads and it didn't take Manitoba long once they were at the right lake.

You could see the grind starting to get to people, especially Taro. I wonder how much sleep these guys are actually getting during this competition. Doesn't sound like much.
A lot of Manitoba's fish are small, but with such little time remaining, they'll be tough to beat.

Not sure if it's just me, but Aaron often seems impatient with Jay. Comes off as a little rude.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I agree. Pretty slow episode!

A lot of Manitoba's fish are small, but with such little time remaining, they'll be tough to beat.

Not sure if it's just me, but Aaron often seems impatient with Jay. Comes off as a little rude.
Not just you, I agree. If I was fishing with Jay and he pushed me out of the way more than once, he would be swimming! lol
Old 02-13-2020, 12:16 PM

hahahaha the fight for the front of the boat LMAO

Respect wildlife
Old 02-13-2020, 01:26 PM

I was quite bored with all the 6-inch panfish.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I was quite bored with all the 6-inch panfish.

haha i wish we had bluegills and crappie here at some lakes. they would make good eaters. I would never starve lol

Respect wildlife
Old 02-13-2020, 02:15 PM

I was glad for so much footage of Manitoba, as that's all I really care about. That goldeye was an absolute tanker...I don't think I've ever seen one that big. At this point, I almost feel bad for Team USA....they're totally f***ed. Team Ontario got hurt by the bad weather day...it really put them behind. Team Sask vs Team MB is going to be a scrap right down to the wire. Absolutely LOVED that Nik/Aaron/Jay put the hillbilly banjo music behind the Sask fish caught...so great.

Btw, also awesome was Jay's post-show live-chat on YouTube...really enjoyed that. Had never heard the story about the origins of Uncut Angling, and it was really cool to hear that story.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I was glad for so much footage of Manitoba, as that's all I really care about. That goldeye was an absolute tanker...I don't think I've ever seen one that big. At this point, I almost feel bad for Team USA....they're totally f***ed. Team Ontario got hurt by the bad weather day...it really put them behind. Team Sask vs Team MB is going to be a scrap right down to the wire. Absolutely LOVED that Nik/Aaron/Jay put the hillbilly banjo music behind the Sask fish caught...so great.

Btw, also awesome was Jay's post-show live-chat on YouTube...really enjoyed that. Had never heard the story about the origins of Uncut Angling, and it was really cool to hear that story.
I was honestly a little surprised with how excited they were about a 17.5in goldeye. I've caught numerous goldeye that size and bigger. I didn't think a fish like that was rare, perhaps it is in Manitoba and not on the Bow and SSR?
Old 02-13-2020, 02:26 PM

Great show, really enjoying watching the episodes every Wednesday.

Other than the fun competition, it is interesting and informative on the types of fish, and techniques out there. For a prairie raised pike fisherman like me, there is a lot to be learned.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I was honestly a little surprised with how excited they were about a 17.5in goldeye. I've caught numerous goldeye that size and bigger. I didn't think a fish like that was rare, perhaps it is in Manitoba and not on the Bow and SSR?
Yup. Caught lots of goldeye way bigger in the nsr and peace river.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:46 PM

Old 02-13-2020, 02:54 PM

that's an insane goldeye...I've never seen anything over 15" and that's rare. I honestly might have been more impressed by the 17"+ Goldeye than I was by the 37" Brown. I don't know a lot about trout, so I don't really know what is or isn't big. Spent a lot of time targeting Goldeye on the Winnipeg River, tho...never seen one close to 17. Insane.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
that's an insane goldeye...I've never seen anything over 15" and that's rare. I honestly might have been more impressed by the 17"+ Goldeye than I was by the 37" Brown. I don't know a lot about trout, so I don't really know what is or isn't big. Spent a lot of time targeting Goldeye on the Winnipeg River, tho...never seen one close to 17. Insane.
Ive caught mooneye bigger than that. goldeye get pretty big here I even caught them on crayfish when I had a research license and was allowed to use them for bait

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-13-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Really?! How much are you willing to pay to get guided for a 17in goldeye

Keep in mind the 37in brown was only an inch away from the world record. There's also just a little more catchet in brown trout than goldeye.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
Not just you, I agree. If I was fishing with Jay and he pushed me out of the way more than once, he would be swimming! lol
It was Aaron doing the pushing but I was thinking the same thing lol. 0.0% chance of that lasting very long with me but props to Jay for keeping his head about him. I've watched all of Uncut's videos and he usually seems pretty good natured but pretty competitive. There is a video of him and Jon B. from down south having a Fly vs. Spin smallmouth bass competition and his nature in those situations kind of shines through a bit.

As others have stated I was a little surprised such a big deal was made on the goldeye as just looking at it the size didn't seem out of the ordinary from my catches on the Red Deer or Peace but with that said I've never measured a Goldeye before.

In the end I can't wait to see the final episode and really appreciate the videos Uncut put's out as well as the other guys who have benefited and put out their own content. I know for me personally it's brought on a whole new awareness of what is available for fishing out east. This summer it's a real possibility that the family and I will be doing our big summer fishing trip in Manitoba and I can't say that would have even been on the radar before I started watching videos from Uncut, Jay Siemens, Clayton Schick etc.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
It was Aaron doing the pushing but I was thinking the same thing lol. 0.0% chance of that lasting very long with me but props to Jay for keeping his head about him. I've watched all of Uncut's videos and he usually seems pretty good natured but pretty competitive. There is a video of him and Jon B. from down south having a Fly vs. Spin smallmouth bass competition and his nature in those situations kind of shines through a bit.

As others have stated I was a little surprised such a big deal was made on the goldeye as just looking at it the size didn't seem out of the ordinary from my catches on the Red Deer or Peace but with that said I've never measured a Goldeye before.

In the end I can't wait to see the final episode and really appreciate the videos Uncut put's out as well as the other guys who have benefited and put out their own content. I know for me personally it's brought on a whole new awareness of what is available for fishing out east. This summer it's a real possibility that the family and I will be doing our big summer fishing trip in Manitoba and I can't say that would have even been on the radar before I started watching videos from Uncut, Jay Siemens, Clayton Schick etc.
Really? Manitoba has a hundred thousand lakes.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Where are you headed there? I grew up fishing Manitoba still go back 2 weeks every year.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:01 PM

My own personal take is that there is nowhere better to fish, for both the actual fishing AND the scenery, than the Canadian Shield. Whether that's Eastern Manitoba or NW Ontario (Sunset Country)....
Old 02-13-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Really? Manitoba has a hundred thousand lakes.

Quote:
Where are you headed there? I grew up fishing Manitoba still go back 2 weeks every year.

For sure there is a lot of lakes out there but for whatever reason it's always been a land to far and hadn't put anytime actually looking into it. When I actually started to look into some of the travel times out east it's not so bad. I can spend 10-12 hours travelling east and be into some great fishing. I'll travel that north just to visit family for a day or two where I grew up.

Not set for sure where we are headed but it's between the Snow lake area that has Wekusko and Tramping or to Clearwater lake. I should have two weeks off in mid July if my schedule doesn't change so maybe do both areas.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
For sure there is a lot of lakes out there but for whatever reason it's always been a land to far and hadn't put anytime actually looking into it. When I actually started to look into some of the travel times out east it's not so bad. I can spend 10-12 hours travelling east and be into some great fishing. I'll travel that north just to visit family for a day or two where I grew up.

Not set for sure where we are headed but it's between the Snow lake area that has Wekusko and Tramping or to Clearwater lake. I should have two weeks off in mid July if my schedule doesn't change so maybe do both areas.
Nice. I'm headed to Clearwater in March for a week.