Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-17-2011, 04:24 PM

Default Coyotes and fleas!!!!

I got out this morning and did some coyote hunting and shot a nice female about 15 min into the first set.....finaly shot something with my new 22-250
So then I take the coyote home to skin it myself as I dont know anyone who buys the fur in the stettler area yet....As I started skinning I noticed it had some movement in the fur...FLEAS!!!!

So this realy turns me off from skinning it...I own a dog and I didnt want to pass along any critters to her so I placed the varmit into3 layers of garbage bages and back out to the truck!!!

So my question is what do most people do.......I know some people leve them in the feild.....but I would at least like to pay for my fuel by selling these critters!!

scooter
Old 12-17-2011, 04:25 PM

Gotta hang the dog, wrap a garbage bag around it, spray a bunch of raid in there. Let it sit for awhile. The whole bottom corner of your G bag will be filled with dead fleas.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:36 PM

You dont even have to spray it....the fleas need body warmth...so if you leave it outside in the cold overnight that will do them in as well.

As for people in Stettler area that might buy coyotes would be Don Czar down at Big Valley is the only one I know of. No idea on prices for whole ones yet but if I find out I will post.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:38 PM

Default Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch10 View Post
You dont even have to spray it....the fleas need body warmth...so if you leave it outside in the cold overnight that will do them in as well.

As for people in Stettler area that might buy coyotes would be Don Czar down at Big Valley is the only one I know of. No idea on prices for whole ones yet but if I find out I will post.
Tried the freezing thing, didn't work for me....

Nikon
Old 12-17-2011, 04:41 PM

Out today, only seen 2, and 1 was on the hwy! The other was running at 500yrds! Heard the raid and g bag works great
Old 12-17-2011, 04:43 PM

Raid in a garbage bag works wonders on the little buggers....and then make sure you have a good shower afterwards!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:44 PM

Thanks Fletch.....I tried finding a contact number for him but no luck!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Raid in a garbage bag works wonders on the little buggers....and then make sure you have a good shower afterwards!
Standard equipment in my truck during yote season, huge garbage bags, a can of raid, and latex gloves. My hunting wagon is a FJ Cruiser, so I can't afford to have those critters crawling around. And I don't skin, I bring it to my Hutterite bud and he sure appreciates it. I don't even check for fleas and what nots, they all get sprayed.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Thing is the coyotes are easier to skin before while they are still warm. I like the big plastic totes. Throw the coyote in and give a spray of raid. By the time I get to next spot the fleas are dead and coyote is still 'fresh'.

I had a buddy up from Montana for a week of coyote calling. We came back in and after skinning the days catch, he was crawling with fleas. "Yes Dear " had him strip to his gaunch and give up his clothes before she would let him in to shower. His clothes went right into the wash.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-17-2011, 05:32 PM

A cap full of lacquer thinner in a garbage can for a 1/2 hour works good.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
Donny will take your yoties skinned or not. Price varies on size, quality of the fur, how bad it is blown apart and weather or not it is skinned. P.m. me if you want his number.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:39 PM

I have never encountered fleas on coyotes but red foxes are usually infested with fleas. We skinned a lot of them but not before getting rid of the fleas. We would spray a Kleenex down with raid drop it in the bottom of a big garbage bag then put the fox (or coyote) in the bag, seal it up overnight and they are gone.
Freezing them off has never worked for me. Shot a fox at - 35 C and left it hang at those temps for 3 days. Frozen solid. Checked the fur and found a flea stuck to a hair that I assumed was dead but as I held it in my hand, and it started to warm up, it started moving . Not dead. Into the bag with the raid Kleenex it went.
Good luck Skinning
Old 12-17-2011, 06:01 PM

hey from south sask here,, coyotes are looking real good this year,, got one big male that weighs in at sixty pounds!!
intersted in unskinned coyote prices
Old 12-17-2011, 06:56 PM

If you think that coyotes are bad, try skinning a fox. The raid/bag trick works wonders, just don't be cheap on the raid.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Haha, this thread is hilarious! Before I was smart enough to know about raid and garbage bags, my buddy and I skinned every coyote and fox we could get our hands on. I remember sitting in class one day writing an exam and having a flea jump out of my hair and on to the paper!

Bottom line is unless you have dogs they feel a little creepy but otherwise are harmless. Just stock up on raid and bags and you will be fine.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:15 PM

Default Ether

I hate the smell of raid which does a great job of killing the fleas. I will skin warm so fleas stay put or will spray with starting fluid(ether)that tends to temporarily put them to sleep and not leave that raid stink. No amount of feezing will kill them from my experience.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Thing is the coyotes are easier to skin before while they are still warm. I like the big plastic totes. Throw the coyote in and give a spray of raid. By the time I get to next spot the fleas are dead and coyote is still 'fresh'.

I had a buddy up from Montana for a week of coyote calling. We came back in and after skinning the days catch, he was crawling with fleas. "Yes Dear " had him strip to his gaunch and give up his clothes before she would let him in to shower. His clothes went right into the wash.
Hunter hosted or guided ?Just curious cause I want to do the same .
Old 12-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Hunter hosted or guided ?Just curious cause I want to do the same .
I've done both.

Some years I get my outfitters license and some I don't. If I have the license it's easy enough to get the wolf/coyote license.

If I don't have my Outfitters, I apply for a hunter host. It's not really convenient because regs say one NR Alien every 3 years. NR Canadian can come hunt with a HH every year.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-18-2011, 11:40 AM

Default 2 cans of raid

Box of those construction grade green garbage bags in truck at all times!
Spray one side of yote on ground and as much under belly ears and under tail as you can. Flip that side down inside garbage bag and spray exposed side. Tie off with twist ties or twine. by the time I get home fleas are dead.. Like Redfrog I like to skin when still fresh and if I am using the compressor an old frozen coyote wont work. BTW I have tried the frozen coyote and it seems the fleas are perfectly capable of hibernating until they get warmed up.
No chances now everything gets sprayed. Foxes twice!!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
Last name is spelled Saar. It's in the phone book under Big Valley. Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:14 PM

Does anybody know anybody who'd buy them that lives close to Calgary or Drumheller? Haven't done any 'yote hunting since I wouldn't know what do with them after. Plus, I really don't want to skin them!