Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 04:55 PM

Default Best iron sight rifle?

Just curious what the rest of you fellows feel that the best rifle models are for iron sight use, current or past, maybe both? Criteria would be using either the factory sights, or easily interchangeable aftermarket sights.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:56 PM

Open sights of peep sights?
Cat
Old 07-17-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Open sights of peep sights?
Cat
Whatever you prefer, or both, I dont care.

I've owned a fair amount of them, peeps and irons, and all things considered I keep going back to my SMLE. They arent perfect, but neither was anything else I tried. Given the low price, sturdyness of the sights, and my own range limitations with irons... they seem to make about as much sense as anything else.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Whatever you prefer, or both, I dont care.

I've owned a fair amount of them, peeps and irons, and all things considered I keep going back to my SMLE. They arent perfect, but neither was anything else I tried. Given the low price, sturdyness of the sights, and my own range limitations with irons... they seem to make about as much sense as anything else.
For long range target with single shot rifles at Shiloh sharps in Big Timber MT they used to sell vernier tang sights and iron front sights with levels and different apertures. With young eyes you didn't need a scope.
The best iron sights depends heavily on the type of gun and what your using it for.There are different aperture sights for different guns and different uses.
Even for close up work on something dangerous I still like a ghost ring although I'm betting someone else will say they like open sights.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:16 PM

I prefer peeps. All my Marlins have peeps and high vis front sights. Most of my big game hunting hunting rifles wear irons but only for back up if a scope fails. I do like my mk4 no 1 peep set up as well. For me action mounted or tang mounted peep is what I like best. Barrel mounted semi buck or std barrel mounted v notch sight are only just ok and would work in a pinch but definitely not my first choice.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I prefer peeps. All my Marlins have peeps and high vis front sights. Most of my big game hunting hunting rifles wear irons but only for back up if a scope fails. I do like my mk4 no 1 peep set up as well. For me action mounted or tang mounted peep is what I like best. Barrel mounted semi buck or std barrel mounted v notch sight are only just ok and would work in a pinch but definitely not my first choice.
I've always liked the Mk4 peep sights, but to me the no1 carys and handles nicer, so I've learned to put up with the open sights.

Personally, so long as the rear sight is flat on top... no semi buckhorns for me, I can make them work as well as needed for the type of hunting I do.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
For long range target with single shot rifles at Shiloh sharps in Big Timber MT they used to sell vernier tang sights and iron front sights with levels and different apertures. With young eyes you didn't need a scope.
The best iron sights depends heavily on the type of gun and what your using it for.There are different aperture sights for different guns and different uses.
Even for close up work on something dangerous I still like a ghost ring although I'm betting someone else will say they like open sights.
I prefer a peep as well, but for close to medium range hunting situations I've never actually noticed any real difference in effectiveness. Open sights do tend to be a tad tougher in general, and to me they seem a bit easyer to see in low light situations.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:06 PM

For me it would be a marlin and it would be wearing a skinner peep.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:15 PM

Remington 760/7600.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:33 PM

Any rifle of European heritage...they know how to build stocks which complement iron sights.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:43 PM

Best iron sights rifle I have is my Palma rifle which is a Winchester built M-1917 with a Shultz and Larson 1 in 14 twist .308 barrel. Outfitted with a Parker Hale #5 rear sight and a Tiger eye front sight, throw a Gheman focusable diopter on the rear sight and take that bad Sally long.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-03-2020, 09:09 PM

Swedish m38 with dojo? Sights. 2 peeps in 1.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 PM

I run a Williams peep on my 45/70 H&R Handi, as well as my Win 94. Works for me .