Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Default Best long term die set?

I know a two die set will do everything I need right now, but is there much benefit to getting a 3 or 4 Rifle die set? How much is the accuracy really improved?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Lot more than just the dies involved, depending on what you define as accuracy. You need FLS dies for hunting rounds, you can use it without the expander and use mandrels to expand the ID of the neck to your desired diameter for neck tension, or use a bushing/bump die or graduated shellholders to work from the outside of the case, or a collet or straight neck die, take your pick. If you want to use cast bullets, a 2 step expander is very worthwhile having. Depends on how many steps you are willing to take in case prep and what you want to achieve.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:26 PM

I always buy the three dies sets if I can find them. I like to neck size all of my ammo for all guns. I know this isn't the common version for hunting rounds but in 50+ years of doing this I have never had a feed problem. You do however need the FL die if you try to use once fired brass from another gun or if you are forming brass from something else. There is usually a small or in some cases almost no difference in price between the two and three die sets so it makes sense to me to get both the FL and Neck dies with the seater.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Banned

i invested in the Redding competition dies for the rifle I plan on keeping for a long time. I say invested because they are crazy pricey. I got the comp shell
Holders too. That aside I like them. They are very consistent ad very repeatable. I figure buy once cry once. I wanted to eliminate fliers as much as I could. Accuracy wise I think that is a different subject. I think you can find exceptional accuracy with any die set. I do think that a premium die set will help decrease your velocity variances better though. Which is where I think a lot of people have problems maintaining 100 yard groups at longer distances.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 PM

I use a Lee collet die and a body die (or FL bushing die without the bushing) for everything I can. This way I can bump the shoulders back 0.002" so there's no resistance on my bolt and get the benefits of the collet. I don't turn necks...maybe one day??? My seaters are all pretty much Forster or Redding micrometer seater dies. I am very content with the dies I use.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:15 AM

Long term die set?

I’ve got die sets that I’ve had from the late 1980’s that I bought used, and am still using...... whodathunkit

Too much emphasis these days is put towards the amount of money or types of devices used, while so little time is actually spent doing.

More trigger time, and less time spent reading blogs, and or watching shows and videos, is my recommendation.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-11-2019, 06:45 AM

$150 vs $65 amortized over 30 years brings things quickly into prospective.

I prefer bushing FL sizing dies and sleeved seating dies.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 04-11-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:35 AM

Truth there Chuck, couple of years and it is behind you and forgotten anyway.. And after using some of the other stuff you wonder why you waited so long to get the good stuff. Unfortunately, they don't make them for everything, and some custom bushing dies are a truly silly price, if they will even make them. That's where the expander mandrels are nice, although it makes it a two step process.