Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 05:11 PM

Default Keeping up perishable skills

After a year or 2 without touching a TIG I remembered very little today about welding aluminum. I bought a nice new Lincoln and spent all afternoon getting back into it. MIG is pull the trigger and go, but TIG wow. After I got a basic handle on settings for the new machine I got at it and quickly found out how much I have forgotten. Getting older and shaky does not work with TIG, I had to really concentrate on not splashing the puddle, which ends the process immediately. I did catch back on finally but there was way more grinding and filling than I want to admit.

Bloopbloop I sure wish I were closer to you.

I admit it was fun

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-16-2019, 06:52 PM

I am an amazing grinder.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
I am an amazing grinder.
😂😂😂atta boy!!!!
Old 04-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
I am an amazing grinder.
Anyone can turkey **** anything together but the skill is in the grinding. I've got 2 welders but 1/2 dozen or so grinders for different turkey **** applications. Lol
Old 04-16-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Anyone can turkey **** anything together but the skill is in the grinding. I've got 2 welders but 1/2 dozen or so grinders for different turkey **** applications. Lol
3/16" coat of paint works wonders too.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:36 AM

Been meaning to get a Tig.
Looked at prices & thought: I can buy a LOT of car parts for that much $ !
Old 04-17-2019, 06:08 AM

I picked up a cheaper eastwood tig and plasma cutter. I think I was all in for 1400. Havent touched the tig yet, but the plasma works like a hot damn.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:21 AM

I took two welding courses as part of my trades tickets and through my employment, but I wouldn't even attempt to weld anything today. Welding is an art, and it does need to be practiced.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
After a year or 2 without touching a TIG I remembered very little today about welding aluminum. I bought a nice new Lincoln and spent all afternoon getting back into it. MIG is pull the trigger and go, but TIG wow. After I got a basic handle on settings for the new machine I got at it and quickly found out how much I have forgotten. Getting older and shaky does not work with TIG, I had to really concentrate on not splashing the puddle, which ends the process immediately. I did catch back on finally but there was way more grinding and filling than I want to admit.

Bloopbloop I sure wish I were closer to you.

I admit it was fun
Hey Ken, sorry I missed your call, and I'm just reading this now. Sounds like you're already done, but if there is any more to do, and I can help, let me know.
Be it a reply here, a PM, or call. Aluminum is tough to work with! Glad you had fun!
Old 04-17-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Now correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that the splatter coating and over lapping uneven welds added strength. Ken I feel your pain on the older and shaking more, I time the downward shake with the arc. I might shake but I still got rhythm.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
Now correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that the splatter coating and over lapping uneven welds added strength. Ken I feel your pain on the older and shaking more, I time the downward shake with the arc. I might shake but I still got rhythm.
You got a big old LOL out of me with that one, thank you for that!!!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-17-2019, 04:34 PM

Haha!! I hear ya...i know what my hands are suposta do...but i cant get them to do it at the right time!! We mostly do stick and mig in our pipe shop...the struggle is real when we get a TIG job to do!!
Old 04-17-2019, 05:35 PM

Don't drink your coffee until after the welding project.

Print yourself a jig with a wheel that you can rest your working hand on or in. Might steady things up while creating a bead.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-17-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Don't drink your coffee until after the welding project.

Print yourself a jig with a wheel that you can rest your working hand on or in. Might steady things up while creating a bead.
Haha, the shake is actually kind of a good thing. Helps get rid of 'the Devils eye' in the puddle. Never got a chance to talk to you Ken. But one piece of advice is 'tailing out' with aluminum especially. Very prone to crater cracking. And once a crack starts, it propagates. As a welder, I really don't like aluminum. Stainless is second for thumbs down. Mild steel is easy peasy!

Last edited by bloopbloob; 04-17-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:22 PM

This is a 200 invertor, the Lincoln I had before was a 255 and I had it down pat. This one has a couple more settings that I have no idea where to set, frequency and balance. Also apparently you do not ball the tungsten with this one, you sharpen which is new to me. I have played with tightness of the point, and while I can definately weld small tight strings I am having trouble getting wider welds, like what I am going to need for the rod holders. The first little project is more or less practise, the holders are important. The puddle will need to be at least 3/8" to 1/2" wide.
That one scares me.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Yep practice is the key, as for setting a machine up, YouTube is your'e friend.
I got a spool gun for aluminium welding, but still requires practice.
check out this YouTube link. LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAX_ZhjJnwg
Old 04-17-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
This is a 200 invertor, the Lincoln I had before was a 255 and I had it down pat. This one has a couple more settings that I have no idea where to set, frequency and balance. Also apparently you do not ball the tungsten with this one, you sharpen which is new to me. I have played with tightness of the point, and while I can definately weld small tight strings I am having trouble getting wider welds, like what I am going to need for the rod holders. The first little project is more or less practise, the holders are important. The puddle will need to be at least 3/8" to 1/2" wide.
That one scares me.
I can call you tomorrow if that works, maybe PM me for a time that works for you, if you'd like. I am usually quite free but have a couple meetings tomorrow, so not the best timing being tomorrow. I will have some time though, just not sure when exactly. What tungsten are you using? I have used pure tungsten (green) but have found that I much prefer a (brown) zirconiated tungsten. A sharpened point will create a narrow arc, small bead, and high heat input, which can lead to a lot of problems and possible cracking. Lots more to it... but yeah, give me a call before 9 today or we can set up a time that works tomorrow if you want
Old 04-17-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randster View Post
Yep practice is the key, as for setting a machine up, YouTube is your'e friend.
I got a spool gun for aluminium welding, but still requires practice.
check out this YouTube link. LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAX_ZhjJnwg
Spool gun aluminium welding has to be the angriest I have ever been, as far as my welding career goes. Errrmergerd. Ice cold starts, 1-2" of weld, then blow a big fat hole. It's just on or off, no control! I got a $12,000 water cooled tig machine after day 2 of that crap
Old 04-17-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
Especially if there's flux layers in between. lmao
Old 04-17-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Especially if there's flux layers in between. lmao
Aluminum flux? Haha just curious if you're a welder, and have done aluminum stick. You just reminded me that aluminum spool gun is not the worst. Aluminum stick is the worst... Like welding with a cooked spaghetti noodle halfway through....
Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 PM

Thanks Bloop- I will give you a call tomorrow when I get a chance. I really appreciate it.

I loved welding aluminum with the mig, but did it mainly for tacking. My Miller 210 with the spool gun was perfect.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Spool gun aluminium welding has to be the angriest I have ever been, as far as my welding career goes. Errrmergerd. Ice cold starts, 1-2" of weld, then blow a big fat hole. It's just on or off, no control! I got a $12,000 water cooled tig machine after day 2 of that crap
Yes I agree with the cold start then holy s&%$ to hot, but there is ways to make it work. Not a welder, just a hobby for me.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randster View Post
Yes I agree with the cold start then holy s&%$ to hot, but there is ways to make it work. Not a welder, just a hobby for me.
I had to weld a couple 300lb aluminum ANSI flanges (1" thick) to Sch40 pipe, which is only about 1/8" thick. I needed a full time helper with a torch and a laser temp gun to get it done. Aluminum is so tricky to work with
Old 04-17-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Aluminum flux? Haha just curious if you're a welder, and have done aluminum stick. You just reminded me that aluminum spool gun is not the worst. Aluminum stick is the worst... Like welding with a cooked spaghetti noodle halfway through....
Not a welder, but I do know of the rods that you speak of. Still have a few packs of them kicking around.

Mostly do wire feed welding with self shield flux core. Do the odd bit of stick.

Actually had a question for you. Got a bit of a difficult pickle to weld in the next few days.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Not a welder, but I do know of the rods that you speak of. Still have a few packs of them kicking around.

Mostly do wire feed welding with self shield flux core. Do the odd bit of stick.

Actually had a question for you. Got a bit of a difficult pickle to weld in the next few days.
Pickle is? I'm usually done on here around 9pm. But I love welding, and if I can give advice, I'm more than willing.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 04-17-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I had to weld a couple 300lb aluminum ANSI flanges (1" thick) to Sch40 pipe, which is only about 1/8" thick. I needed a full time helper with a torch and a laser temp gun to get it done. Aluminum is so tricky to work with
That would be tricky. With the difference in material thickness. TIG is the best way to go with aluminium hands down.
And clean clean clean with aluminium welding
Old 04-17-2019, 08:30 PM

Default Aluminum welding

I remember my first attempt at aluminum TIG welding while apprenticing. I could not believe how well I did and was thinking “ one day I’m gonna build myself a boat”!!! Then,of course, I crapped the bed on test day. Haven’t tried again since. Lol