Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2018, 01:32 PM

Default Winter sleeping bag.

I am looking for a winter sleeping bag and am wondering what you guys are using. Something in the -18c or colder zone is what I will be needing.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:48 PM

I’m not sure if there is anything better than the Alaskan 9.5. Heavy, huge but very warm.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:54 PM

Woods #5
Old 12-30-2018, 02:09 PM

Woods 5 star bag is not exaggerating when they claim to keep you warm down to -40. It is a rectangular bag without a hood so you need to cover your head and neck. An old army surplus sleeping bag hood is perfect for this.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:12 PM

What do you need it to do. For backpacking or ?
Old 12-30-2018, 02:16 PM

Need to say what you will be using it for. Big difference in cost and functionality between a winter bag meant for backpacking/ski touring ect. And one meant to stay in a hunt camp or similar.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:39 PM

I am going to join a buddy on his trap line in the Yukon. We will mostly be in cabins but will travel with the sleeping bag incase something goes wrong during the day. I realized after getting the first couple responses that I should have been more specific. Those look like really good sleeping bags but something a bit lighter for ski touring and the such is probably more appropriate for my current and future activities.

I had no idea sleeping bags could be $1500. I do like the Kuiu Super Down, but that is super pricey and maybe the cost is inflated a bit because of the name?

I currently use a Marmot Sawtooth -9C, it won't be enough.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:42 PM

Canadian army surplus, it is by far the warmest sleeping bag I ever tried. It’s a good kit, there is a removable washable liner, a goose down filled iner bag then another goose down outer bag and if you really want a gortex outer shell. You can probably roll up into all of that and go to sleep off a side of a ditch in -40C. Got mine at Milarm, Sebarms might have some for not bad price.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:11 PM

Default Bag

I picked up a mountain hardware and they have some pretty nice stuff. I went with the synthetic fill as if down gets damp or wet it no longer insulates. A sleeping pad is a must or yoh will be soaked by morning. I would think if out on the line a nice bed of spruce or pine would be a sufficient mat if it came to it.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:22 PM

Look up Western Mountaineering. Some of the best in the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2018, 04:24 PM

Im a Yukon trapper so I have a bit of experience in this area. Good idea to carry a good sleeping bag with you always. I started using a Wiggy's bag about 8 years ago. Nothing compares in my opinion. I use the -60 bag. Its a lot lighter and more compact than the excellent Woods 5 star bags, but it is a warmer bag. I got into some -40 stuff last year bison hunting without a tent and was warm as toast. Stay away from down period. Some guys swear by it, but when condensation works its magic down becomes useless. I found that out when I was racing long distance sled dog races. On a 1200 mile race like the Yukon Quest it can kill you.

What part of the Territory will you be in ?
Old 12-30-2018, 05:05 PM

+1 for Western Mountaineering!

Worth the money and will do the job.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:59 PM

there's some pretty good military surplus stuff priced right at
frontierfirearms.ca
Old 12-30-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
Im a Yukon trapper so I have a bit of experience in this area. Good idea to carry a good sleeping bag with you always. I started using a Wiggy's bag about 8 years ago. Nothing compares in my opinion. I use the -60 bag. Its a lot lighter and more compact than the excellent Woods 5 star bags, but it is a warmer bag. I got into some -40 stuff last year bison hunting without a tent and was warm as toast. Stay away from down period. Some guys swear by it, but when condensation works its magic down becomes useless. I found that out when I was racing long distance sled dog races. On a 1200 mile race like the Yukon Quest it can kill you.

What part of the Territory will you be in ?
x2 on the wiggy's,my friend has one and swears by it so I think that will be in order in the new year.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 PM

Also a huge fan of Wiggy's. I own the Ultima Thule (-29C) and it's fantastic. You can't beat it for the price, and if you get a little cold/wet you'll still stay toasty warm.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:23 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. There are a lot of options. I will call Wiggy's tomorrow and see if they can get one to me in time. 8lbs is an acceptable weight for what I'll be doing and the cost seems reasonable.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I am going to join a buddy on his trap line in the Yukon. We will mostly be in cabins but will travel with the sleeping bag incase something goes wrong during the day. I realized after getting the first couple responses that I should have been more specific. Those look like really good sleeping bags but something a bit lighter for ski touring and the such is probably more appropriate for my current and future activities.

I had no idea sleeping bags could be $1500. I do like the Kuiu Super Down, but that is super pricey and maybe the cost is inflated a bit because of the name?

I currently use a Marmot Sawtooth -9C, it won't be enough.
Get any cheap cold weather bag, but also get a plastic tarp.

Make a taco with your sleeping bag inside the tarp. Fold the tarp over you and your bag.

Make sure tap is big enough in all directions.

This set up is cheaper and will keep you warmer than your expensive bags.

Here's a good cheap winter bag

https://www.amazon.ca/Sports-Sleepin...g+bag+xl&psc=1

Edit: Adding a sleeping bag liner supposedely adds another 5 degrees of warmth to your sleeping bag rating.

https://www.amazon.ca/TETON-Sports-S...ping+bag+liner
Old 12-30-2018, 08:25 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Wiggy's is sized a tad on the small size.

I would go with the Canadian Army sleeping system. It works rather well, just dont get it wet. You will save yourself alot of money going with this winning option.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
Get any cheap cold weather bag, but also get a plastic tarp.

Make a taco with your sleeping bag inside the tarp. Fold the tarp over you and your bag.

Make sure tap is big enough in all directions.

This set up is cheaper and will keep you warmer than your expensive bags.

Here's a good cheap winter bag

https://www.amazon.ca/Sports-Sleepin...g+bag+xl&psc=1

Edit: Adding a sleeping bag liner supposedely adds another 5 degrees of warmth to your sleeping bag rating.

https://www.amazon.ca/TETON-Sports-S...ping+bag+liner
It’s a really really good idea to let the moisture escape from your bag so the taco idea is a no no for me. A vapour barrier liner adds a lot of warmth but you’ll be sleeping in a pool of your own sweat. I can’t stand sleeping damp but I know it works and the serious mountaineers do that.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:05 PM

Default Arctic 5 star

I own a few artic 5 star sleeping bags and they are warm,used them in minus 35 plus wind chill on a bare metal horse trailer floor,toasty warm all night,trust my kids in them in the coldest temps,good luck on your choice stay warm.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:20 AM

If u are going to be there for quite a while I would suggest 2 bags. An arctic 5 star for cabin use. They are roomy and you can hang it to dry every day. A smaller synthetic like Wiggys for a travel bag. A canvas overshell for the travel bag helps a lot. The synthetic should be dried as often as possible too.

There is a near new 5 star for sale on cgn for $500, including an insulated hood, which is a very good price.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:58 AM

I am looking for something like this as well and have been looking at the Kifaru bags. Anyone have opinions on these?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2018, 07:28 AM

29 years ago I bought a Yukon 600 bag from Campers Village. Still keeps me as warm as the day I bought it. Best investment I ever made.

Craig
Old 12-31-2018, 09:03 AM

Default sleeping bag

Tree root is probably right, if you buy good liner your existing bag will suffice. If on trail the tarp trick will work for the one night. In cabin your existing bag will work without liner. We have med grade bags on trapline and need to leave window open at night in cabins so we do not cook.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:24 PM

I have this one and love it. It is bulky though. I've slept in a leanto shelter at -25c and was toasty warm. Has an inner fleece liner as well. I never wear socks and just underwear with a t-shirt. You can zip it up with a pillow inside so you don't have to wear a toque or anything.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/87126...c-sleeping-bag

Best sleeping bag I've ever owned and very comfy. I'm a big guy 250lbs+ and 6' and I can roll around inside the bag to get comfortable no problem.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:30 PM

Default Army Surplus

Try here;

http://frontierfirearms.ca/search.ph...pi+bag&Search=
Old 04-17-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I am looking for a winter sleeping bag and am wondering what you guys are using. Something in the -18c or colder zone is what I will be needing.
I would get a bag from Kluane

http://kluane.ca/sleeping-bags/

If you are worried about condensation get the vapor barrier as well.

Great stuff and made right here in alberta.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Default Sleeping bag

I have a few ARTIC 5 star bags and they are the best I've seen,or used,expensive but you stay warm even when temps drop to -35 EVEN COLDER WITH WIND CHILL good luck stay warm
Old 04-17-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Woods #5
x2

I still use my Dad's bag I took over when I was younger like 30+ years ago. Still use this bag at moose camp and used when I had a walltent camp setup in Kakwa for mountain snowmobiling. My cot was furthest from the stove and never slept with it zippered up....needed to have feet hang out to say cool
Old 04-17-2019, 01:54 PM

I need to find a 5 star bag for Whitetail hunting, sleeping in a wall tent, one thing I did was made a bigger stove, it was -30 3 years ago in November, still had coals in the morning from full at night