Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Default West coast fishing at the end of May

Thinking about heading out at the end of may for some ocean fishing, Ive never fished that time of year before for salmon and bottom fish, how is the fishing and would anyone recommend a charter or general area (van island or main land) that time of year. Im not very well educated on ocean fishing, Ive only been twice in late august

Thanks
Old 04-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Default Comox/campbell river

The comox, Campbell river area sees Columbia river fish come through at that time. There are a couple of charter companies in that area.
cheers
Ken
Old 04-09-2019, 08:08 PM

I have never fished that far south, but in Rupert the biggest springs I have ever caught have been in May. Very first ever was 43 lbs. I am going a week earlier this year, hoping to get there before the rain and wind that has caught me the last 3 straight.
May can be real good fishing.

If you want to fish Rupert Trav from this forum guides there, and is a top notch guide, 2nd to none.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-10-2019, 09:46 AM

I've fished that time of year on the Ucluelet side of Vancouver Island. The water at that time of year is very rough so if you are prone to sea sickness then its going to be a rough ride.

The rough seas also makes it very hard to get your lures to bottom. I was using heavy mudraker jigs and they would only stay near bottom for a minute before starting to get carried sideways. Bottom fishing in deep water is going to be really hard.

If I were you I'd wait a bit and go in late June or July instead of May if you're going to target that side of the island.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedmon View Post
I've fished that time of year on the Ucluelet side of Vancouver Island. The water at that time of year is very rough so if you are prone to sea sickness then its going to be a rough ride.

The rough seas also makes it very hard to get your lures to bottom. I was using heavy mudraker jigs and they would only stay near bottom for a minute before starting to get carried sideways. Bottom fishing in deep water is going to be really hard.

If I were you I'd wait a bit and go in late June or July instead of May if you're going to target that side of the island.
2x
Old 04-13-2019, 07:29 AM

Default May fishing...

May can be fantastic Salmon and Halibut fishing. The weather cans sometimes be a little cooler/wet, but there are beautiful days as well. A couple things to consider are that migratory runs of Salmon usually show up on the North Coast first, then work their way south (all areas have their resident feeder springs throughout the year). In May you will be limited to Spring Salmon and bottomfish as runs of Coho, and other salmon usually don’t begin to show until late June/early July.... Try to find a location where if the weather is not so favourable that allows you to find somewhat sheltered areas to fish. Should it be windy, it may be a bit of a rough ride across the sound, but then be in an area where you are sheltered allowing for more enjoyable fishing... Last of all, watch the regulations as there is some question as to seasons/limits for the south coast of BC, as well as Vancouver Island...

Best Of Luck
Old 04-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Campbell River can have great fishing for feeder Springs in the 8-20lb range from mid-May onwards. You won’t see many good ones over 30lbs until mid-July but there is always a chance. Guided fishing can be pretty inexpensive too if going with Painters Lodge. Or at least as inexpensive as guided fishing gets...it will still cost a bit of money.

If you’re driving great, if not rent a vehicle. Lots of places to stay depending on budget. Tons of Golfing on some pretty nice courses if that’s your thing. Drive up Mount Washington and ride the chair lift up and hike down. Walk the Canyon view trail right in Campbell River. Hike Ripple Rock trail for some spectacular views of the Seymour Narrows just 20 minutes North of CR. There would be tons to do beyond just going out fishing...

If you want to combine some pretty good salmon fishing (with bigger Springs) with some awesome bottom fishing I’d head up to Port Hardy for a few days. Lots of different guided options and Duval Point Lodge has some great deals on accommodations with self-guided fishing out of their boats. Just bring some food and you’re set. A Friday-Monday self-guided trip in their boats with all their gear and as many hours on the water as you could handle is like $1,200 per person.

Lots of options on the Island although like mentioned your options would be better in mid July to September if looking for big Springs and some great Coho fishing. I grew up in Campbell River and while we’ve lived in Fort McMurray for over 6 years both my parents and in-laws still live in CR so we get back there quite a bit. My dad still has his 17’ Whaler and I kept all my gear when we left, so I still get out on the water whenever I feel a fix is needed.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 AM

They are probably booked up, but I have been on several charters and the best one I've ever been with, by a large margin, is Serengeti Charters out of Port Hardy.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:09 AM

I’d second Serengeti charters. Great group in one of the best spots on the coast.

I don’t know how Serengeti is making out this year but I do know the owners of several other outfits and bookings are way down this year, so there is a better chance this year than most that you could find a last minute deal.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:11 PM

Default Closures

Here’s a notice just posted by DFO today... It will affect area around Vancouver Island, and BC lower Mainland. There are going to be periods of closure where you can’t keep Chinook... Give it a read, and see if those dates and ares May affect you...

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-o...k-decline.html