Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Write a note stating you stumbled across the stand and site and leave the date, your name and number asking them to contact you... Use a zip lock and affix to the stand... If you don't hear anything back from the other party after a couple weeks, rock on and kill a bush pig in that area...

It's all about respect, both ways really...
The best reply of the thread. I would wait till end of season though and employ this tactic so you can hunt there next year.
Nobody owns crown, but at least respect each other.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Lots of entitlement on this thread....ie;Build a permanent stand/claim an area for life??
If I didn’t know better I’d swear y’all were a bunch of NB moose hunters lol...nail a couple 2x4s and a plywood deck up in a spruce tree and think that gives you claim to the moose bog for all eternity.😂
That said,its a tough call really?
On the one hand,the OP picked out a location,lugged his barrels in,got set up,and only discovered an ILLEGAL PERMANENT STAND after the fact.Its Crown Land,first come/first serve....he has every right to stay if he wishes imho.
On the other hand....there’s sign that the stand was hunted last year,and perhaps several years prior(just guessing?)....and IT IS quite early in the bear baiting season,many personal hunters and Outfitters alike won’t even begin baiting for another few weeks,so there’s a high likelihood that the stand builder plans to use it again this spring,which could lead to conflict.
Again though...technically it’s an illegal permanent stand sooooo...too bad so sad?
Personally,I’d struggle with the idea of removing my gear having found the other ILLEGAL site after the fact,however if I had found it prior to setting up myself I wouldn’t have set up in the first place.
For all the OP knows,it was a site built by a one off bear hunter that will never be back?Y’all seem to expect the OP to “take the high road” and pull out,when in fact if the ILLEGAL PERMANENT STAND builder is any kind of ethical sportsman and woodsman then 1)he’ll notice the activity in the area and find the OP’s site and 2)concede that he was beaten to the punch on CROWN land and hunt elsewhere himself.
At the end of the day,it’s not only illegal,but unreasonable to expect that you can spend a couple hours nailing 2x4s to a tree and lay permanent claim to a 2 mile radius of Crown land forever more.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Lots of entitlement on this thread....ie;Build a permanent stand/claim an area for life??
If I didn’t know better I’d swear y’all were a bunch of NB moose hunters lol...nail a couple 2x4s and a plywood deck up in a spruce tree and think that gives you claim to the moose bog for all eternity.😂
That said,its a tough call really?
On the one hand,the OP picked out a location,lugged his barrels in,got set up,and only discovered an ILLEGAL PERMANENT STAND after the fact.Its Crown Land,first come/first serve....he has every right to stay if he wishes imho.
On the other hand....there’s sign that the stand was hunted last year,and perhaps several years prior(just guessing?)....and IT IS quite early in the bear baiting season,many personal hunters and Outfitters alike won’t even begin baiting for another few weeks,so there’s a high likelihood that the stand builder plans to use it again this spring,which could lead to conflict.
Again though...technically it’s an illegal permanent stand sooooo...too bad so sad?
Personally,I’d struggle with the idea of removing my gear having found the other ILLEGAL site after the fact,however if I had found it prior to setting up myself I wouldn’t have set up in the first place.
For all the OP knows,it was a site built by a one off bear hunter that will never be back?Y’all seem to expect the OP to “take the high road” and pull out,when in fact if the ILLEGAL PERMANENT STAND builder is any kind of ethical sportsman and woodsman then 1)he’ll notice the activity in the area and find the OP’s site and 2)concede that he was beaten to the punch on CROWN land and hunt elsewhere himself.
At the end of the day,it’s not only illegal,but unreasonable to expect that you can spend a couple hours nailing 2x4s to a tree and lay permanent claim to a 2 mile radius of Crown land forever more.
We aren’t talking Whitetail hunting here man. I think there’s a pretty good understanding among bear baiters that you leave an established site alone. To me it has nothing to do whether there’s a tree stand built or not. If it is somebody’s active site that they have nurtured for years why the heck would you bother it? It shows a complete disregard to the work somebody put it. I stay away from other peoples bait. I expect them to do the same for me. Pretty simple

If it’s not used this year than fair game for next year
Old 04-10-2019, 10:28 AM

If you were to set up there, would you be upset if someone else shot a bear over your bait? If the answer is yes, I'd likely move along.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YegFishing View Post
So went to set out my bait barrels yesterday and found a tree stand built somewhat near my bait site. Now I always thought that permanent tree stands were not allowed? Also, it looks a few years old, the sign is faded, hard to read and crooked, but seems to be used about last year other than that. Now I do not want to be the person to steal someone's site, but it seems crown land is fair game. I mean would it be rude of me to put a bait barrel out there and "squat" on this tree stand? It is a really nice area and someone really put a lot of thought into it and has made a nice clearing, but I just happened to wander around and found it.

What would you guys do?
from what you're saying I would put a barrel out there maybe see if the treestand was worthy enough to stand in doesn't sound like whoever did it it's going to be back anytime soon now that's just me thinking out loud
Old 04-10-2019, 12:19 PM

Could always leave a note on the stand with your contact information and see if you get a response
Old 04-10-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
We aren’t talking Whitetail hunting here man. I think there’s a pretty good understanding among bear baiters that you leave an established site alone. To me it has nothing to do whether there’s a tree stand built or not. If it is somebody’s active site that they have nurtured for years why the heck would you bother it? It shows a complete disregard to the work somebody put it. I stay away from other peoples bait. I expect them to do the same for me. Pretty simple

If it’s not used this year than fair game for next year
FWIW,I’m well aware of “the code” as a former bear Outfitter/guide myself,and I’ve been on both sides of this scenario on several occasions.Personally speaking,I would(and have) leave a note on the old site and hopefully work out a compromise or even help each other out,there’s no point in fighting over bears between sites a few hundred meters apart.
I’ve seen this situation work out well for both parties and made new friends,and I’ve seen it turn into all out bait wars with javex and chainsaws coming into play,which doesn’t end well for anybody.
Bottom line it’s Crown land and you can’t claim perpetual hunting rights to a location by nailing a few 2x4s up in a tree.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
FWIW,I’m well aware of “the code” as a former bear Outfitter/guide myself,and I’ve been on both sides of this scenario on several occasions.Personally speaking,I would(and have) leave a note on the old site and hopefully work out a compromise or even help each other out,there’s no point in fighting over bears between sites a few hundred meters apart.
I’ve seen this situation work out well for both parties and made new friends,and I’ve seen it turn into all out bait wars with javex and chainsaws coming into play,which doesn’t end well for anybody.
Bottom line it’s Crown land and you can’t claim perpetual hunting rights to a location by nailing a few 2x4s up in a tree.
I think believe the same thing essentially. I would go further though and say if you see an established, active bait site- leaving it alone perpetually is "house rules" when it comes to baiting. Especially when there is so much land to hunt I never understood why guys feel the need to encroach on each other. It's kinda mind blowing actually.

If I were the OP I wouldn't waste my time. Get on Google earth and find a new location
Old 04-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Banned

I mean I did put two barrels in different areas. One was put first and then I was driving along and saw some nice areas and then noticed it had signage and looked to have a tree stand. As soon as I saw that I just left the area and drove 20km in a different direction and set up two barrels there. It was just frustrating thinking I found a nice spot to find a tree stand about a km away from where I set up.

All good, I plan to bait in a completely different wmu and see if we have hits or not as well. It is early, I agree but it is also nice to see if even this early something is coming in.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 PM

I find it hard to believe people would endorse giving a setup on public land a wide berth. Perhaps the word Public is confusing? First come first served.

Can I leave a note in a public parking space stating its reserved for me? Take a book out of the public library and never return it?

I'm actually po'd someone would build and leave a structure of any kind on public land. Should be a fineable offence. Can I build myself a cabin on public land?

We all share public land. Leave it how you found it or find yourself pvt land to hunt jackhandle.

OP....I'd not only set up near it if so inclined, I'd sit in it. Whoever built it doesn't own it. We all do and you have my permission.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:05 PM

It’s called being ethical. Something that obviously a lot of guys on here don’t know anything about.
The stand has nothing to do with it. It’s courtesy of a guy has an established bait site you move on.
If it’s not being used then by all means have at it.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
It’s called being ethical. Something that obviously a lot of guys on here don’t know anything about.
The stand has nothing to do with it. It’s courtesy of a guy has an established bait site you move on.

Not a darn thing unethical about it. Google "public". And tear whatever you built down and restore the area to the way it was. Why should the PUBLIC have to look at your woodworking skills.?

OR

Get off arse - make calls and knock on doors- hunt private land
Old 04-10-2019, 09:25 PM

Found a 2 man metal tree stand last year, tree had overgrown where it was secured, so would of had to been there 15 years for that much growth.

I would hunt it, doesnt look like it has been hunted in many years. Its way back in the bush too, couple km quad ride on not well used trails.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
It’s called leaving trash on crown land...littering. It’s garbage and belongs to no one.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Not a darn thing unethical about it. Google "public". And tear whatever you built down and restore the area to the way it was. Why should the PUBLIC have to look at your woodworking skills.?

OR

Get off arse - make calls and knock on doors- hunt private land
Find an experienced outdoorsman to teach you how to act in the bush. With your attitude I think that it would be a very good idea. Until then I’d suggest that YOU hunt private land so you don’t get yourself in trouble.

You too Calgarychef.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
See ya....lots of land to hunt on....don't be that guy!
X2,Very simple to show respect and just move on,if you find out who's it is in the future you may just make a good friend that will pay off in future hunts.

Treat others like you want to be treated and life is good.It shows good character and integrity which some lack who call themselves fellow hunters.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdave View Post
find an experienced outdoorsman to teach you how to act in the bush. With your attitude i think that it would be a very good idea. Until then i’d suggest that you hunt private land so you don’t get yourself in trouble.

You too calgarychef.
x10 .
Old 04-10-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Find an experienced outdoorsman to teach you how to act in the bush. With your attitude I think that it would be a very good idea. Until then I’d suggest that YOU hunt private land so you don’t get yourself in trouble.

You too Calgarychef.
Could not agree more...
Old 04-10-2019, 10:21 PM

It goes both ways -
Whoever left the stand and set up the bait site wants everyone else to respect the work he’s put into the site, and go find “their own place”
BUT
It’s public land. Everyone has a right to it. Nobody has the right to hang permanent stands, and kick anyone else out of there. So whoever left the stand there should be ACTIVELY hunting it if they want it to be “their hunting spot”

I don’t hunt public land, specifically to avoid other people and these kinds of situations. All i can really say is that if it isn’t being ACTIVELY hunted, and there’s NO contact info left behind; then i would say go for it, he might have been there last year or the year before - but you got there first this year. If we all avoided areas other guys MIGHT hunt later in the season, we’d all run out of hunting areas pretty darn fast.

So it goes both ways. Maybe the best thing to do is leave YOUR contact info. If They call you, maybe you can work out a compromise, or share the location, take turns hunting it, AND take turns refilling bait and doing all the work associated. Might be a time to make a new hunting friend, instead of confrontation... but that’s just me.
I’m lazy and live 5 hours from my bait locations - I’d love to spread the work around!!

Last edited by SageValleyOutdoors; 04-10-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:30 PM

An active bait site leave it alone that’s fair... inactive from last year.. ?
That’s trash .....know your laws
Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 PM
Banned

It’s early April and because the fella hasn’t been out there yet people are calling it abandoned? Yeah, he abandoned it all winter.

All those hectares of land to make a bait site but noooooo, let’s take one that’s already made for us because it’s public land and the tree stand is illegal. First come first served right? Anyone that thinks that way deserves whatever happens to them and I won’t have an ounce of sympathy for them. Smarten up!
Old 04-11-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
It’s early April and because the fella hasn’t been out there yet people are calling it abandoned? Yeah, he abandoned it all winter.

All those hectares of land to make a bait site but noooooo, let’s take one that’s already made for us because it’s public land and the tree stand is illegal. First come first served right? Anyone that thinks that way deserves whatever happens to them and I won’t have an ounce of sympathy for them. Smarten up!
You can’t make these types change Dave, so why waste your time trying to explain civil behaviour to them.

So I dunno why I’m saying this other than I fear silence isn’t the right thing to be in this case. So here’s my $1.52 after taxes.......

To. 270 and the others like him.
Ethics be damned, what do you think is gonna happen to your truck, quad or trail cameras when you bully your way onto somebodies bait site that they’ve maybe spent 10 years to develop and prove out?

Remember karma is a hash mistress gang.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 04-11-2019 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:03 AM

Old 04-11-2019, 06:18 AM

Old 04-11-2019, 07:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You can’t make these types change Dave, so why waste your time trying to explain civil behaviour to them.

So I dunno why I’m saying this other than I fear silence isn’t the right thing to be in this case. So here’s my $1.52 after taxes.......

Ethics be damned, what do you think is gonna happen to your truck, quad or trail cameras when you bully your way onto somebodies bait site that they’ve maybe spent 10 years to develop and prove out?

Same goes for crown land hunters that border my 3 sections of private land, should I set up on every game trail coming onto my land or should I slash tires because they be set up on my fence lines? ( definitely tell who has a hard time getting permission on private property )
Old 04-11-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:

You too Calgarychef.

Too funny. Anytime you'd like to get together and compare resumes just let me know Davey boy.

I do hunt pvt land fyi....mostly. It takes away a lot of the idiot factor and risks. As I said, I got off my arse, knocked on doors, and made calls. It's really not that hard you know. Especially for bears. Id get a few calls every year from landowners in the GP area when I was up there, asking if we were interested in helping with some problems they were having.

If you don't like my stance on public land use then you'll probably really dislike this position.

I don't think baiting bears should be allowed on public land at all. The Public should trust that all the guys doing it are doing it properly? So there are no risks to others accessing PUBLIC land for any number of purposes? Yeah right. Lots of evidence right in this thread regarding Public Land pigs leaving their mess behind in the form of tree stands.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Is that what you do when you feel your rights on PUBLIC land have been infringed upon Dick?

I guess anyone behaving in the manner you've described would have to be confident I'm not within sightlines right?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:

It's illegal, end of discussion.

Grizz
Old 04-11-2019, 09:42 AM

To me there has to be a deadline on "I was there first mentality"! Just like you can't call shotgun until you see the car. If this was an active bait site then absolutely move on. But its not.

Let's take a different example. Say I have hunting geese on a plot of land every Tuesday since the beginning of the season. I get there at 4am every morning to set up. One Tuesday I get there at 4am but someone else got there at 3am to set up. He also has permission, and just so happened to get there an hour before me. Does he have to fo find a new field because I was there the week before? If not, what is the difference? I know where I sit, he got there first. He put the time in. Good for him.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
To me there has to be a deadline on "I was there first mentality"! Just like you can't call shotgun until you see the car. If this was an active bait site then absolutely move on. But its not.

Let's take a different example. Say I have hunting geese on a plot of land every Tuesday since the beginning of the season. I get there at 4am every morning to set up. One Tuesday I get there at 4am but someone else got there at 3am to set up. He also has permission, and just so happened to get there an hour before me. Does he have to fo find a new field because I was there the week before? If not, what is the difference? I know where I sit, he got there first. He put the time in. Good for him.
You can't compare the 2. It's bear baiting not goose hunting. Bear bait sites take time to develop and nurture. A goose patch doesn't.

Why is it so incredibly hard to understand this concept around here? There are millions of acres of crown to hunt bears. This isn't whitetail or elk hunting where you aren't squatting on a piece. Bear baiting isn't a 1 day affair. It's completely legal and to not understand some basic unwritten rules of respecting another mans efforts is totally offside.

Furthermore, it isn't an ACTIVE bear site at the moment because most savvy baiters start right about now and don't waste their time in early April. (no offense to those who break their "cabin fever" and get started early- that's totally cool too.)