Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2019, 04:25 PM

Default Anchors - Some Questions...

Looking at anchors, I have a 17' Legend aluminium hull boat. My fluke anchor doesn't hold that great. After a bit of research, I'm questioning if the real problem is the way I've tied the anchor. Quite a few, if not all of the websites I've visited, recommend adding a length of chain to the anchor. The theory is that it helps the anchor dig in. The question I have is, does anyone here actually use a chain between the anchor & rope? And if not, how heavy of an anchor do you use? I'm considering the 28# fluke that Canadian Tire shows on their website.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Banned

3-5' of heavy chain will keep the anchor from lifting off the bottom due to the up and down action on the line from waves. A 15-20# anchor should be fine.

Remember that you need 3' of line per foot of depth, cleat to chain.

Free
Old 04-11-2019, 04:37 PM

2:1 rope to depth and a 5 foot pc of chain between rope and anchor.

15lbs is plenty for that boat with this setup.

Make sure you are tying off as close to the center line of the boat as possible.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:59 PM

Get a modern anchor like a Rocna or Mantus.
You'll need half the weight and still have more holding power.

10 feet of quality 1/4" chain or 5/16" of cheap galvanized chain will do the trick. The most important quality of the chain is it acts like a snubber in waves helping your anchor stay put.

I use a 17# mantus with a 22' boat and it has never let me down even in a storm situation where I needed to wait out the weather.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:06 PM

Check out the sizing guide:

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-anchors/

For your boat I'd recommend a 13# Rocna or Mantus.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:49 PM

I extremely hate chain so I use rope all the way but I put a large down rigger ball about 8 feet from the anchor. This saves on having rusty chain stains in my boat as well as no chain rub marks on the side either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2019, 05:56 PM

What the guys are sayin about the depth is spot on, thr more the better really but i normally use 2:1. An anchor you can get that wouldnt make you go ovet that is a digger anchor. They are black and gold and get the 15 pound size. Also has an auto release, i have yet to have it ever slip. Bit pricey at around 150 bucks

https://youtu.be/oxgwJwwUCYw

You wont regret it though.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:11 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the quality answers. I have a few kettlebells laying around and I think that just might be the answer to my problem! TBH I am not too keen on laying 6 or 10' of a rusty proof coil on my boat deck. A 5kg coated kettlebell attached to my 'rode' would be easy to do. Thanks, I appreciate the new perspective!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:02 PM

Russ get galvanized chain. No rust. The anchor does not hold the boat, the chain does. I have 45' of chain with a 10,000+ lb boat and a 16' anchor, in the ocean with huge swells, wind and waves. I don't drift off the anchor.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 PM

I just use a ketchup can full of concrete like my daddy did, and his daddy before him.
But I guess it doesn't take much to hold down a 12' boat.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:02 AM

Christ, I remember our old 16' tinner back in the early 90s....we had a big ass rock with a rope tied around it. The most ghetto anchor ever. This is a really good thread with some good advice...didn't know about using a length of chain between the rope and anchor. Thanks for the info, gang!
Old 04-12-2019, 08:34 AM

Check out a richter anchor. They hold great without the chain too. I have tried several and a good friend put me into this one. I know bass pro carries them
Old 04-12-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Check out the sizing guide:

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-anchors/

For your boat I'd recommend a 13# Rocna or Mantus.
I have a Mantus and Love it. After speaking with the owner before I purchased he recommended that I use the 8 pounder without the roll bar, as I don't anchor over night in bad weather. I must say that the Mantus hooks up right away and never budges even in very bad weather. I have a Lund 18.5 Grand Tyee which would be larger than yours in case you were wondering.

I do use a few feet of Chain but the real function of the chain is abrasion resistance, which in our lakes we don't really need so you can do without it as long as you have a good quality rope that is long enough.

The best way to make sure an anchor holds is having enough scope out. In bad weather you need at least 5-1. So if you were in 10 ft of water you would need 50 ft of rope out. 7-1 is even better.

I used to use a 20 pound fluke but even with 7-1 scope out would not hold anywhere close to what the mantus holds and I get to save 13 pounds of weight
Old 04-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post

I do use a few feet of Chain but the real function of the chain is abrasion resistance, which in our lakes we don't really need so you can do without it as long as you have a good quality rope that is long enough.
Chain is used for Ballast to hold the anchor down while you set it.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
Chain is used for Ballast to hold the anchor down while you set it.
That was true for old fashioned anchors but is not necessary with modern anchors with appropriate scope.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 AM

buy an altera with anchor lock and no need for any of the above anchors pulling them up and down .,
Old 04-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
buy an altera with anchor lock and no need for any of the above anchors pulling them up and down .,
Once the batteries are dead, do I just tie a rope to one of them and throw that overboard for an anchor? Or maybe the trolling motor?
Old 04-12-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Once the batteries are dead, do I just tie a rope to one of them and throw that overboard for an anchor? Or maybe the trolling motor?
It does have some merit.

Since i discovered minn kota ipilot my lake boat anchor hasn't seen water in about 5 years. 19ft boat with a 24v ulterra I fish tournaments with and I have yet to kill 2 interstate 29's in a day.

on the river boat however the anchor is a key pc of gear for fishing and safety as well.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
That was true for old fashioned anchors but is not necessary with modern anchors with appropriate scope.
What modern anchors are you referring to? Honest question.

I've used Rocna, Mantus and Manson, and all benefit from a chain. The setting and holding angles are almost always improved with a chain.

I would sooner down size my anchor and use an appropriate length of quality chain, if weight or storage is a concern.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
What modern anchors are you referring to? Honest question.

I've used Rocna, Mantus and Manson, and all benefit from a chain. The setting and holding angles are almost always improved with a chain.

I would sooner down size my anchor and use an appropriate length of quality chain, if weight or storage is a concern.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
The Rocna, Mantus, Spade etc are considered modern anchors.

When Rocna was still owned by the NZ company it used to have a scientific article in the reference section that showed that the chain portion added no additional benefits under harsh conditions (as the rode would be straight out) and it is under these conditions when you need your anchor most. Hence, It concluded that one should always choose your anchor as if the chain was not there. It did mention that one should have chain on for abrasion purposes when the conditions are not harsh though. But given most of our lakes here are mud sand bottoms one could get away without it. Even in the Rocna manual of today mentions chain basically for abrasion purposes.

"What to use for rode
We strongly encourage the use of certified chain, either for all your rode
(preferable) or as a leader of a length at least equal to that of the boat.
Chain is not vulnerable to abrasion on rock or coral."

Last edited by cube; 04-12-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Russ get galvanized chain. No rust. The anchor does not hold the boat, the chain does. I have 45' of chain with a 10,000+ lb boat and a 16' anchor, in the ocean with huge swells, wind and waves. I don't drift off the anchor.
Thanks, Ken, Acklands has over 2000 ft of 1/4" galvanized in stock at the Edmonton warehouse. They've discontinued it though and are replacing it with the regular proof coil. Price isn't too bad, probably retails for about $2 / ft. The price for 3/8 was silly though, $6 or $7 a foot.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
i have never run out battery yet , and I fish full days.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:28 PM

I have to say I'm a bit sceptical, but I've not run the new motor yet and the old one was built in '95. I'm sure things have changed, I think I need to see it for myself first though. I will be using a pair of group 31's for the power though too.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I have to say I'm a bit sceptical, but I've not run the new motor yet and the old one was built in '95. I'm sure things have changed, I think I need to see it for myself first though. I will be using a pair of group 31's for the power though too.
you should be able to fish all day with though batteries , I have a 24 volt altera and 2 27group batteries on a 19 foot crestliner. once you try it , you will never go back . makes staying on the spot so easy , no need to reanchor if the wind changes direction.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:56 PM

I thought all boats required a anchor lawfully.. Might as well do it right.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Ken, Acklands has over 2000 ft of 1/4" galvanized in stock at the Edmonton warehouse. They've discontinued it though and are replacing it with the regular proof coil. Price isn't too bad, probably retails for about $2 / ft. The price for 3/8 was silly though, $6 or $7 a foot.
Check out Canadian Tire. They sell it for marine use, by the bucket

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 PM

You don't need to spend a crazy pile of money to hold your boat in the wind.

I just bolted together a few used cultivator shovels and attached 6 feet of galvanized chain. Lots of rope like the guys said. I have a rubbermaid tub in the front of my boat that the anchor and chain goes in - never been a problem and if I lose it, I'm only out 5 bucks. I've even given my anchor away at the boat launch to a guy who forgot his at home.

Tags
anchor, chain, rode