Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-12-2019, 03:43 PM

Default 22/250

I just picked up a mint 788 in 22/250 and now gathering stuff for reloading , I have lapua brass,primers and dies and powder. I have been reading about the Hornady V-Max 55gr i want to use this rifle for coyotes, wolves. I have not shot a coyote with a 22/250 but have shot many deer. Is there a better bullet that i should be using ?
Old 04-12-2019, 04:20 PM

55gr vmax is a good bullet for coyotes. Tons of guys use it. I use the 40gr vmax in .223 and have been happy. Occasional pelt damage from bullet "splashing" if it hits bone right away. Never lost a coyote that's been hit with it.

Wolves on the other hand are more like deer. I would go with a non-fragmenting bullet like a TTSX, otherwise you may get insufficient penetration on anything less than a broadside shot.

I sure hope those deer you get with the 22-250 weren't in alberta as i am fairly sure that is against the rules.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post

I sure hope those deer you get with the 22-250 weren't in alberta as i am fairly sure that is against the rules.
Oh, it is for sure.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:35 PM

Good choice of bullet for saving pelts. If you can find some Hornady 55 grain SPSX they are even better. Accurate and quite a bit cheaper.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Oh, it is for sure.
Eastern Prairies
used a stevens 200 in 22/250 using remington corloc 55gr
small hole going in bullet stays inside and acts like a blender
Old 04-13-2019, 11:33 AM

Your bullet choice for yotes is fine but if wolves are on the menu a "deer" bullet is what's needed. I would go with ttsx as heavy as the gun will stabilize

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 04-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Your bullet choice for yotes is fine but if wolves are on the menu a "deer" bullet is what's needed. I would go with ttsx as heavy as the gun will stabilize
This, I've shot most of my wolves with a .270win and pelt damage was minimal. On frontal shots I often don't get an exit wound, using the same loads I almost always get an exit on frontal shot with deer... Not saying the 22-250 wont work, just trying to give you an idea of how different wolves are from coyotes, they are not hard to kill but they have a fair bit of muscle in some areas.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Default Used the 55 gr SPSX for 20 years

slowed it down to about 3200 fps and the last 3 dogs I shot on baitbucket 200 exact yards from back deck did not take so much as a step. You will get the odd piece of shrapnel punch thro on exit side but usually not even big enough to sew. They are known as the Super Explosive so you cant run them faster than 3400 fps or they can vaporize from just air friction they are so fragile. Penetrate the heart and they take out all the heart and most of the lungs. Dead Right now if I do my part. When I was working at WSS we had not had them in a couple years so when I called Hornady they said they only did a run every couple years or so as demanded. Next shipment my friends and I bought 5000 of them. I also use the 50 grain in my .223 with similar results.