Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 03:50 PM

Default Canada Post and Shipping stuff Sold on AO

If you are selling stuff on AO and shipping it to Ont, B.C. or any place else with HST make sure you take that into account in your shipping costs. If you ship from Alberta to an HST Province they charge you the full 13% at the post office, if they ship here all they pay is GST. I know, I know, this is totally screwed up and wrong but it is the way it works and has for quite a while.

On larger shipping costs this can be a chunk of change. You also need to account for the cost of Signature Required delivery on ALL firearms (legal requirement to ship any firearm by Canada Post or other common carrier) and on anything insured for over $500 (this one is post office imposed). Insurance is 2.50/$100 and Expedited the first $100 of insurance is free. Also, get the exact delivery spec, they have set transit days for Expedited to all locations. If the delivery takes longer you are entitled to all of your money back that you paid for the parcel, not true on regular Parcel Post.

Hope this helps and if anyone else has some tidbits please add them.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:58 PM

You can go to the Canada Post website and get a shipping cost. It will show you the taxes and cost on any extras etc. Unless you have a decent scale it will only be an estimate.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/a...execution=e1s1
Old 04-18-2019, 12:35 AM

One correction, insurance is 2.25/$100.

As far as the website calculation, it sometimes only shows the GST, it does not always reflect the other 8% when sending to the HST provinces, even if you put in an Ontario postal code for example. It is one of the things that pees me off about Canada Post and also one of the reasons I posted this to warn people about the tax grab at the time you actually mail the item.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-18-2019 at 12:43 AM.