Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2011, 06:12 PM

My guess is 47 for the beauty

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 07-06-2011, 06:28 PM

Once again way to go David...I will say 42 I don't think its as big as the 46 you got earlier and if thats the case you still hold the lead on your old man, correct ??
Old 07-07-2011, 12:49 AM
AO Sponsor

neither one...but I'll say you're low Larry
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 AM

50...either way it's one hell of a fish!!!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 PM

My Guess is 48. It is long enough and deep enough. If its wide enough, it could hit 48, and that's the unknown.

Drewski
Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 PM
AO Sponsor

Well, today was unreal...we went to a spot only 3 boats know about, my dad and I are two of those three. Totally worth it, tons of fish, and BIG fish to boot! These fish fight pound for pound better than any fish I've seen too! What a blast! They hit harder then any fish as well, popping it off the downrigger and peeling line right away, lost 5 just because they swallowed it so deep and hard that they cut the leader with their teeth. Great day, limits of Chinook, some nice smaller Lings as by catch which are perfect eating. Man, fishing is great up here Love it!

Landed two Tyees today, and lost some monsters, one that almost spooled us...monster that got away, darn it!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:15 PM
AO Sponsor

Well, another day is in the books and fishing was once again fantastic. Our secret hot spot was cool this morning (got unreal in afternoon my buddy [only other one who knows about it] told me, so I decided to anchor up for some hali and that paid off quickly. Within 20min a 90lb hali in the boat, then limited with a 30 and 35 shortly there after, plus some yelloweye bycatch. Found new bottomfish hole where my bud caught over 25 bottomfish in only an hour...yelloweye (red snapper) up the yang as well as lingcod.

So after getting our hali my guests said they just wanted their remaining salmon, so I ran to another spot I know produces well, and what do you know, 7 Chinook between 24lbs and 34lbs in only an hour and a half, lost 3 and missed 4 more as well. Great fishing. Thats whats so good about fishing with us in Port Hardy, there will always be one of our spots that are on fire, because we have several, and most have salmon from different runs than the others (WCVI & Wash Oregon, Mainland Inlet runs, Rivers Inlet/Smith Inlet runs etc). Here are some pictures,

There could of easily been another 24 (12 Ling, 12 snapper) bottomfish caught as well, wouldn't of taken long, but these guys said they didn't need any more white meat.

Double Header to end day, 26lbs and 28lbs

Box full of fish, halibut underneath

Last edited by Serengeti Charters; 07-09-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:28 PM

Good job David, Brian looks very happy!!!...
Old 07-11-2011, 04:48 AM
AO Sponsor

Another stellar day with ANOTHER HUGE CHINOOK!!!!!!! Oh boy, this season is shaping up to be a beauty, just had cancellation of aug 19-21 as well if anyone is interested!!! Look at these beautiful salmon

Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 PM
AO Sponsor

Day off yesterday, out today with clients from Sooke who come up every year to load up and fish, and boy did they do that, in morning limited out on real nice Lingcod, avg size about 15lbs, then we went out and limited on halibut, no monsters but the real good eaters 25-35lbs, then we ran to the salmon spot, knew a real good bite was coming around 4pm, we were only ones out there, all other guides go in at 1pm, so then it began around 3pm, bam, bam, bam, double header, double header, non stop action, literally no rod in water for longer than 1min, limited out with 8 CHinook between 18 and 28lbs in only an hour, plus lost a few! Not a bad day, here are the pictures.

Tub Full!!!!

All the fish laid out

Old 07-14-2011, 10:06 PM
AO Sponsor

Another few days in books, 2 groups going, only able to get pics of groups I took out, other groups also limited out on all their salmon both days, same with mine, here are the pics, today limit of Chinook for guests (only allowed 4 more) including a real big one too, then went hali fishing and got 66, 60, 50, and 30lb halibut.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 AM

David I hate you!!!

Seriously just when I guy thinks he can control his excitement and wait patiently for my Trip (August 3rd) to Port Hardy you continue to post bogus obviously photoshopped pictures .......and make the wait seem that much longer!!

Just Kiddin Bud, Great stuff always like seeing you guys have success!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:06 PM
AO Sponsor

Thanks Mike,

Another amazing day on the water, went to spot only me, my dad, and another buddy know about and smoked them....limited out on Lingcod Red Snapper, and Salmon, and also got a big halibut, didn't target them today though as the guy's arms were "wore out" Chinook limits were all between 19 and 33lbs, with 5 over 30lbs.

Here are the pictures, lets hear some guesses as to total weight of all the fish!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 09:11 PM
AO Sponsor

It's 25 Ling, 24 Snapper, and 16 Chinook. Forgot to tell story of getting fish back from sea lion, the sea lion was coming straight at boat and i knew we had to horse fish in, so i told the guy to go for it, he did, then zzzzzzzzzzzzz, clearly the bugger grabbed the fish, so I ran to the helm and floored the boat right towards the line to get over top of the sea lion and scare the **** out of him, it worked, he let go, i grabbed the rod and reeled like hell, next thing I know I see a salmon body with no head (4th back on right), then the sea lion coming up from deep only 3ft down, my guest netted the fish and hit the sea lion on head with net as he did it, and i yelledat it, it swam about 4 ft behind boat and just stared at us snorting, clearly mad. He was HUGE!!!! Sea lions are big, but this was a BIG bull...it was crazy to see him like that, then when we were bottomfishing another sea lion grabbed a red snapper from my dad peeled off 15 yards of line then let go!!! haha What a day!

Old 07-16-2011, 09:37 PM

Sounds like another great day man!!!! Congrats.....I will say 1050 lbs o fish there...
Old 07-16-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
It's 25 Ling, 24 Snapper, and 16 Chinook. Forgot to tell story of getting fish back from sea lion, the sea lion was coming straight at boat and i knew we had to horse fish in, so i told the guy to go for it, he did, then zzzzzzzzzzzzz, clearly the bugger grabbed the fish, so I ran to the helm and floored the boat right towards the line to get over top of the sea lion and scare the **** out of him, it worked, he let go, i grabbed the rod and reeled like hell, next thing I know I see a salmon body with no head (4th back on right), then the sea lion coming up from deep only 3ft down, my guest netted the fish and hit the sea lion on head with net as he did it, and i yelledat it, it swam about 4 ft behind boat and just stared at us snorting, clearly mad. He was HUGE!!!! Sea lions are big, but this was a BIG bull...it was crazy to see him like that, then when we were bottomfishing another sea lion grabbed a red snapper from my dad peeled off 15 yards of line then let go!!! haha What a day!
Nice that you won!!! Suprised you didn't loose a net!!
Last year dad had a big spring on and a bull grabbed it ..... That' SOB was thrashing on the top of the water took the flasher and the whole nuts next time I'm spinning the boat and going after it

Did you have to move or did he **** off?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:43 PM

I'd say including the Hali 1123lbs
Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 PM
AO Sponsor

Limits last couple days once agian on Chinook and halibut, plus so many lingcod its ridiculous...must of released 40 per boat yesterday, all perfect eating size (10-15lbs). Fishing is hot, aug 19-21 still available.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:16 PM
AO Sponsor

Sorry for not posting last couple days, 19th was my birthday and day off, yesterday I was out, dad had a day off, and today both boats were out...we've been absolutely slaughtering the salmon, last couple days weather came up pretty hard but still destroyed them...nice thing about our boats and spots is there is always one that is protected that is holding fish...today got into about 40 salmon, just my boat alone, between the two more like 90, and my dads boat was releasing 25+lb Chinook after they had already limited out...between the two boats we caught 20 Chinook, and 16 Coho, plus a couple pink, not to mention the 5-7 my dad released while trying to get his last coho.

Here are pictures, this is why guys come up to Port Hardy with us, we know where the fish are and how to get them...bottomfish day tomorrow, will let you know how we did!!!!

Yesterday for my boat only (limited out on Chinook)

Today both boats

Old 07-22-2011, 07:30 PM
AO Sponsor

Limit of Red Snapper today, couple Lingcod, couple hali, lost a HUGE halibut today...darnit....oh well, it's still out there and waiting for one of you guys Probably one of my worst days bottomfishing due to unbelievable bad luck, yet still had just over 160lbs of fish

Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 AM

47lbs wow those are huge fish
Old 07-23-2011, 04:32 PM

Dave,

What's the fishing like the week of Aug-14-20th ? I'm thinking about possibly heading up that way then. Thx.

Craig
Old 07-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Thumbs up

Wow I wish I could afford to come for a trip with you. I've never even caught a fish over 11lbs. Your story of the seamount and fishing is exciting just reading your posts. Maybe one day. Awesome job and thanks for the amazing pics
Old 07-23-2011, 10:07 PM

Default My Port Renfrew Cohow

I caught this Coho a few years back In Port Renfrew. It was good fishing. The guide told me the chances of catching a fish like that is 1 in 70 million. 29 3/4 lbs. 28 1/2 inches long. 56 minute fight and my arms were dead after that.
Hoping to possibly go next year. Will definately look you up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Coho.jpg (20.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
I caught this Coho a few years back In Port Renfrew. It was good fishing. The guide told me the chances of catching a fish like that is 1 in 70 million. 29 3/4 lbs. 28 1/2 inches long. 56 minute fight and my arms were dead after that.
Hoping to possibly go next year. Will definately look you up.
Hugeee coho...world record is 32lbs

Old 07-24-2011, 12:29 AM
AO Sponsor

Nailed em today, both boats limited out with 8 Chinook plus quite a few coho...my boat also limited out on halibut, 25, 28, 40, 70lbs. All caught on salmon gear as well, so no bringing em up from deep!

Group we have now has been alllll over the coast fishing and says this is by far the best fishing they've had as well as one of the most enjoyable experiences, it was literally non stop laughs on the boat todaay with everyone chirping one another...great rivalry between two boats as well...so much fun!

Old 07-24-2011, 03:36 AM

Just wondering if you do any charity work like hosting a free trip for a day or 2 for some poor kids who enjoy fishing?

I'm a 40 year old kid and I'm poor!!! LOL!

NICE PICS!!!! Thanks Very Much for posting. I look forward to seeing the new pics as you post them. I would bet that a lot of your clients have already laid down deposits for next year.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 AM
AO Sponsor

New Hunter, thanks for the kind words, we are booking up very fast for 2012 already.

Yesterday absolutely slayed them, limited out on EVERYTHING, Lingcod, Snapper, Halibut, Chinook! Chinook caught in an hour and 15minutes. 3 largest Chinook were 38, 33, 32; 3 largest hali were 64, 54, 50; 3 largest Lings were 37, 33, 30lbs. Pretty amazing day, had an absolute blast with these guys, many in the group were first time to salmon and halibut fishing (same group as yesterdays pictures), and they had a blast!!! They seem like they are on a high that no one can take them off, and that what this is all about. We realize that 1/2 of the trip is catching fish, the other half is the experience, the scenery, the conversation, just having fun! And man did we do a lot of that the past couple days!

Here are pictures from yesterday!!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:21 PM

Thats sick man!!! Nice Catch!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:49 PM

That is unreal alright!

I'm heading to Sooke next week. Send me a wish of that kind of Port H. stuff!

Thanks for the spectacular eye candy.