Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 04:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
I think there's blame on both sides. But for me, the part I can't get past is that you're making millions and millions every year. Bite your tongue and grow a thicker skin. Even be a dick and reply with no comment if you have to.
Yes it can be human nature to snap back with a smart mouth comment, but where did that get you? Now you're on sports casts everywhere. There's tougher things to do than play hockey for millions, not saying it's easy, but you've gotta put your situation in perspective.

Too bad he didn't come up with the GM in Cali comment. That would certainly heat up the trade Draisaitl debate.
Matheson doing what he does best...trying to stir up s*** to get readers of his posts....it worked.....
Old 01-18-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I think there's blame on both sides. But for me, the part I can't get past is that you're making millions and millions every year. Bite your tongue and grow a thicker skin. Even be a dick and reply with no comment if you have to.
Yes it can be human nature to snap back with a smart mouth comment, but where did that get you? Now you're on sports casts everywhere. There's tougher things to do than play hockey for millions, not saying it's easy, but you've gotta put your situation in perspective.

Too bad he didn't come up with the GM in Cali comment. That would certainly heat up the trade Draisaitl debate.
Meh. Second best player in the world. He can say what he wants. Triggering people is good entertainment
Old 01-18-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsterx View Post
I totally agree with what you are saying.Draisaitl is nothing but a whiner when it comes to the press. Here is a guy who only worries about himself and treats guy's like Matheson like **** who have been following Oilers since the '80s.McDavid and Draisaitl both need to learn if you are gonna be a leader show it. You can always take a pat on the back when things are going good but when things are going bad suck it up princess and put on your big boy panties. I am a season ticket holder since day one and have followed this team through the very good and the very bad. When I see this B.S on television and my son watch's it makes me sick. You are paid very well in Edmonton and part of your job and being a player who wears an "A" on this team is answering difficult questions, you need to act like a professional and not some spoiled rich brat. You may think it is funny and yes you are rich but this is exactly what is wrong with this team. Grow up Leon I spend a lot of money going to each and every home game and I have seriously come to the conclusion there is cancer in the room and Leon the way he acts off the ice I really think he acts the same way in the room. Cancer needs to be dealt with and I really do not care how many goals and points he gets it is time to ship him out of here. I know everyone will blame the reporter but before you go flying off the questions were not stupid and he had a chip on his shoulder before the interview even started. You represent the City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Oilers grow up and play hockey. If you gave the effort you do in crying at interviews on the ice this team would be better. It is time for the fans to start speaking up about how some of these players act. Maybe the Oilers should invest in some public relations trainers to teach these players how to treat others. There is the old saying Treat others how you want to be treated. Yes, I am frustrated but I am sick and tired of this!!!!! Mark Messier never whined to the reporters he did his actions on the ice time for Leon to show his.

Exhale sooner
Old 01-18-2022, 04:35 PM

Get your blinders off who really cares about the past Hart trophy etc?We live in the now and this team is horrible and attitudes in players like this is the problem. The past is the past the Flames won a cup does that make them good now?Team game wins and gets us 2 pts not individual stats look at where we are in standings and what are record is obviously can not win with top 2 scorers in league.As for your comment this is different why is that is it not hockey played on skates with players and a puck?I am done talking about Draisaitl we will not win with him it is proven .You have your opinion I have mine blame the coaches,blame the manager,blame the goalie,but never hold a player accountable only thing that matters is he gets points correct haha that is why this team is where it is.Enjoy rest of year cause now we blame reporters lol.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:38 PM

Flames fan here.

Dri was totally baited. The reporter was just being an arse. How much a player makes got nothing to do with it. What was he suppose to say? "The number 1 reason is our goalie sucked. Had we even had a 0.900 save percentage the past 15 games we would not be in this predicament." From our armchair everyone knows and see the problem and everyone have the solution. The problem is their are other teams involved and there's a salary cap.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:52 PM

There was another Oiler that was interviewed just caught the tail end, he was pretty good. Had good messaging and was even keel. Not sure who he was, not up on the Oilers.....
Old 01-18-2022, 05:12 PM

Ok I watched it…
“ you showed frustration on the ice. Is that good to do?”
What a stupid question.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:21 PM

That exchange between Matheson and Draisaitl was the most entertaining thing we've seen from the Oilers in a while. I would not want to be a media guy. Very hard to try and word the questions slightly differently. They've got a job to do. It's clear that Leon had a burr in his saddle (dry saddle, maybe? lol) just as the questions began. Who knows where that comes from. There was a Draisaitl and Tychowski exchange not that long ago that had some moments too, wasn't there? Having said all that, Matheson crossed the line with "why are you being so p*ssy). They probably both have a job to do and neither of them did it very well. It is what it is.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:09 PM

I think it would be a great opportunity for solidarity and team building if for the rest of the year every Oiler responded with "No Comment" to any question from Matheson.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I think it would be a great opportunity for solidarity and team building if for the rest of the year every Oiler responded with "No Comment" to any question from Matheson.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Matheson doing what he does best...trying to stir up s*** to get readers of his posts....it worked.....
Old 01-18-2022, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
I totally agree with what you are saying.Draisaitl is nothing but a whiner when it comes to the press. Here is a guy who only worries about himself and treats guy's like Matheson like **** who have been following Oilers since the '80s.McDavid and Draisaitl both need to learn if you are gonna be a leader show it. You can always take a pat on the back when things are going good but when things are going bad suck it up princess and put on your big boy panties. I am a season ticket holder since day one and have followed this team through the very good and the very bad. When I see this B.S on television and my son watch's it makes me sick. You are paid very well in Edmonton and part of your job and being a player who wears an "A" on this team is answering difficult questions, you need to act like a professional and not some spoiled rich brat. You may think it is funny and yes you are rich but this is exactly what is wrong with this team. Grow up Leon I spend a lot of money going to each and every home game and I have seriously come to the conclusion there is cancer in the room and Leon the way he acts off the ice I really think he acts the same way in the room. Cancer needs to be dealt with and I really do not care how many goals and points he gets it is time to ship him out of here. I know everyone will blame the reporter but before you go flying off the questions were not stupid and he had a chip on his shoulder before the interview even started. You represent the City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Oilers grow up and play hockey. If you gave the effort you do in crying at interviews on the ice this team would be better. It is time for the fans to start speaking up about how some of these players act. Maybe the Oilers should invest in some public relations trainers to teach these players how to treat others. There is the old saying Treat others how you want to be treated. Yes, I am frustrated but I am sick and tired of this!!!!! Mark Messier never whined to the reporters he did his actions on the ice time for Leon to show his.
Sir, I'd like to read your insights, however could you please use paragraphs, so I can read your posts to there entirety. Thank you for your participation
Old 01-18-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
There was another Oiler that was interviewed just caught the tail end, he was pretty good. Had good messaging and was even keel. Not sure who he was, not up on the Oilers.....
Rather have a great player like Dri than a great with the media guy who happens to play hockey. If I were an Oilers fan I would expect and be happy to see that a guy is ****ed and cranky when losing. Losing at this level should not be fun or acceptable. Having someone who's poking the bear for clicks while you are waiting a week between games during a miserable stretch of games should invoke a f u reaction. We get more cranky reactions from older, poorer, less competent people on the internet every second.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
WOW.

Matheson asked him a stupid, loaded question... "What is the NUMBER 1 reason" you guys are losing?

How in the hell could he answer that without throwing his teammates (goalies), coaches, and/or management under the bus publicly?

I'd love to hear how you and Matheson would have ripped him a new azz if he would have answered truthfully.

The guy is a Hart Trophy winner, Art Ross Trophy winner, and first ballot HOFer, so let's trade him. Ya right.

Get your head out of the 80s. Athletes are different than they were 35 years ago.

Talk like this makes no one want to play here.

I get your frustration, and you pay a lot of money, but it doesn't mean it is right, so we will disagree on this one.
Nailed it!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Agree!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:28 PM
Banned

This is not the first time that Matheson put an Oiler player on the spot with his ignorant, inappropriate comments. Back in September he told Koskinen that Oilers fans didn’t want him playing for the Oilers and asked him how he felt about it.

https://youtu.be/Z5O8FhOdyww

To me, Matheson comes across as arrogant and really thinks that he’s something because he made it too the HHOF. Obviously, Dri has no respect for the guy and I doubt that he’s the only one in the dressing room. Time to neuter that puppy.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
The past is the past the Flames won a cup does that make them good now?
Bruh, can't you just stick to crapping on your own team, why are the Flames even part of your tantrum?

Hell yeah they're good now. Right now, tonight, after a 5-1 win over Panthers. Don't live in the past.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-18-2022, 09:59 PM

Well. Gonna have some mad panthers in a couple of days up here.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:06 PM

I just watch Nurse's and Tippett's interviews that happened right before the Draisaitl interview. Matheson asked the same stupid questions to both Nurse and Tippett who both also responded that it is not "1 thing" but that everything needs to improve. He also asked Tippett about Draisaitl getting frustrated during the Ottawa, and Tippett said he never noticed. I wonder if Draisaitl was listening to the Nurse and Tippett interviews and had enough with the dumb questions being ask 3 times and were already dismissed by Nurse and Tippett.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
This is not the first time that Matheson put an Oiler player on the spot with his ignorant, inappropriate comments. Back in September he told Koskinen that Oilers fans didn’t want him playing for the Oilers and asked him how he felt about it.
Is there anything he said that wasn't true?

As far as Draisaitl goes, from the clips I've seen, Draisaitl was first asked a valid question about their two six game losing streaks. He replied with a dick answer and then got out dicked by a veteran reporter who has job to do and it can't be a lot of fun when you have to rely on a bunch of entitled millionaires who are in a pizzy mood to give you something to publish so you can earn a paycheck.

They're reporters not cheerleaders. Good ones don't lob softballs like Gene does all day long.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Is there anything he said that wasn't true?

As far as Draisaitl goes, from the clips I've seen, Draisaitl was first asked a valid question about their two six game losing streaks. He replied with a dick answer and then got out dicked by a veteran reporter who has job to do and it can't be a lot of fun when you have to rely on a bunch of entitled millionaires who are in a pizzy mood to give you something to publish so you can earn a paycheck.

They're reporters not cheerleaders. Good ones don't lob softballs like Gene does all day long.
Sounds like one of the top two players in the NHL (see world) triggered more than one.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:55 PM
Banned

I think that the geniuses that support Matheson ought to get on his twitter feed and show him some love. He’s lobbying the writing community looking for support and not finding it.

This one is good......

https://twitter.com/BlogManRy/status...934996997?s=20
Old 01-18-2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
WOW.

Matheson asked him a stupid, loaded question... "What is the NUMBER 1 reason" you guys are losing?

How in the hell could he answer that without throwing his teammates (goalies), coaches, and/or management under the bus publicly?

I'd love to hear how you and Matheson would have ripped him a new azz if he would have answered truthfully.

The guy is a Hart Trophy winner, Art Ross Trophy winner, and first ballot HOFer, so let's trade him. Ya right.

Get your head out of the 80s. Athletes are different than they were 35 years ago.

Talk like this makes no one want to play here.

I get your frustration, and you pay a lot of money, but it doesn't mean it is right, so we will disagree on this one.
There was a very simple answer to his question.

Our opponents are outscoring us.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:40 AM

Only saw the last 10 minutes of the 3rd but the flames must have played well or the panthers sucked or maybe a little of both. I had a much more important game to watch on hockey TV, the Nipawin Hawks and the Estevan Bruins, my grandson plays for the Hawks, unfortunately they lost 2 - 1 in a shoot out but a good game to watch.

There are no multi millionaire players or mealy mouthed reporters thinking that the sun shines out of their bums and they are entitled, Just 18 year old's working their butts of in the SJHL trying to make their mark, real hockey, real life and no social media crap or hype.

It's getting harder and harder to watch pro sports, by the time you wade through all the crap there is nothing left, all the 24 hr sports channels that have to have something to fill that time, the podcasts, the social media feeds, all the dogs are looking for a bone to chew on, and if they can't find one they have to create one or they drop out of the lime light.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
He was fishing like a reporter does to get the story etc....he was dealing with a higher class of person is all.

Now get the coach change done or let my Canucks keep climbing up in the win column

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-19-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I just watch Nurse's and Tippett's interviews that happened right before the Draisaitl interview. Matheson asked the same stupid questions to both Nurse and Tippett who both also responded that it is not "1 thing" but that everything needs to improve. He also asked Tippett about Draisaitl getting frustrated during the Ottawa, and Tippett said he never noticed. I wonder if Draisaitl was listening to the Nurse and Tippett interviews and had enough with the dumb questions being ask 3 times and were already dismissed by Nurse and Tippett.
Matheson was being an ass! It's his job to report, these guys should get an hour after a game and thats it. They can sit in the stands and report what they see at practice, but the players are off limits. This goes for every sports team.

BW
Old 01-19-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Bruh, can't you just stick to crapping on your own team, why are the Flames even part of your tantrum?

Hell yeah they're good now. Right now, tonight, after a 5-1 win over Panthers. Don't live in the past.
These things happen a lot with Oiler fans, when the Flames live inside their heads. I find it pretty funny actually, as they will deny it straight away.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
These things happen a lot with Oiler fans, when the Flames live inside their heads. I find it pretty funny actually, as they will deny it straight away.
I am calling it Draisaitl Syndrome. Lots of frustration and anger but no games to vent. So blame the Flames for everything, failing that start calling names after all it worked in elementary school.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Yea, they have only had what 8 coaches in the last 11 years WTF let's go for another one, eventually they will find a coach or ................ realize maybe it's not the coach and try to get a goalie and a couple D men which has been sore spots for how many years now ?????
Scotty Bowman on his best days couldn’t make this club a winner.
Must be frustrating for the Edmonton hockey minds who still can’t assemble a decent competitive roster. Oh well at least we have the best two players in the league if that even matters anymore. To me it doesn’t. It’s lame at this point…

Things are getting interesting…..
Old 01-19-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Matheson was being an ass! It's his job to report, these guys should get an hour after a game and thats it. They can sit in the stands and report what they see at practice, but the players are off limits. This goes for every sports team.

BW
Players are paid millions. Part of the job is interviews. If they can’t handle a probing reporter then they need to ask coach and management to pick someone else to take the heat.

I for one after seeing the video and thinking on it don’t see anything wrong by Draisaitl or Matheson. I do see lots of Oiler fans getting cranky. Not sure why. They will snap out of it. They had a glimmer of it against Ottawa.

Oilers have the same problem as at the beginning. They were not playing with heart or confidence. They weren’t the team that wanted the puck the most. Blame goal tending or McDavid or whom ever… however they win as a team or lose as a team.

Best way to shut Matheson up is to play better. McDavid has been invisible and not sure why. I’d do an experiment as coach and bench McDavid and Draisaitl for poor play. See how the team rallies without them.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Closed Thread