Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 PM

Default Muir lake-fly fishing take 2

Was out at Muir lake today to try fly fishing. I had a few good casts but alot lot of time it would end up in a clump in front of me. What am I doing wrong. Does anyone know any really good videos to learn from?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 PM

Sounds like to me when you back cast you are not allowing the line to straighten out before your forecast......so your line is bunching and slowing down and not carrying out and away....

LC
Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 PM

Thunder,

There are some great videos/ DVD's on casting and fly fishing tips at the Edmonton Public Library. I might even have an old dvd laying around that I'd give you that has some casting instruction on it. I think it came with a package of Cortland fly line I purchased. PM me if interested.

If you are interested Mike "Doc" Montieth also offers fly fishing clinics. I've met Mike and chatted with him a couple of times and he seems like a very nice guy with lots of knowledge to share.

Here's a link to one of his websites.
http://docshouseofblog.blogspot.com/

Keep trying, it does get easier.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 PM

Like Lefty said, just let the line straighten out behind you on your backcast. You have to stop your arm/rod just past vertical on the backcast. Don't bend your wrist...so the rod stays near vertical. Then watch the line roll out straight behind you. The weight of the line can then load the rod and you can begin to start moving the rod forward. Let the rod do the work. It is really all about timing rather than power (except when casting your whole fly line or into the wind). Your rod should be well out in front of you before you let go of the line with your left hand and let the line shoot out to the target.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
Was out at Muir lake today to try fly fishing. I had a few good casts but alot lot of time it would end up in a clump in front of me. What am I doing wrong. Does anyone know any really good videos to learn from?
Nice to meet you out there by the way, did you learn a thing or two by watching me fly fish? you will get the hang of it, takes practice
Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 PM

yeah, I just have to work on my timeing
Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
yeah, I just have to work on my timeing
Yea dont snapp the fly, it might snapp off, just take your time, dont whipe it, its not a race, just take your time, relaxe smoke a nice cigar, then let the line work for you, dont work for your line, you probably allready had a long day at work right???

next time i see you out there i will show you some tricks
Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 AM

Yeah, I snapped a few flys off,and no I had today odd, lol