Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2016, 10:44 AM

Default RIP - Donald Ross Getty

I find it very sad that the so called "true Albertan's" on this forum have never acknowledged the contribution made by Don Getty to the province of Alberta, nor have there been any condolences on his passing.

People here either forget, or they don't know, that he was one of Peter Lougheed's "Original Six" Progressive Conservatives elected to the legislature that brought Alberta out of the dark ages of the old Social Credit regime.

He was a quiet mild mannered politician, a good businessman and a good athlete.

His obituary sums up his accomplishments very well.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cal...487&fhid=14815

RIP Don Getty and deepest condolences to your family.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:48 AM

Absolutely! Hellva Albertan! RIP
Old 03-02-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
I find it very sad that the so called "true Albertan's" on this forum have never acknowledged the contribution made by Don Getty to the province of Alberta, nor have there been any condolences on his passing.

People here either forget, or they don't know, that he was one of Peter Lougheed's "Original Six" Progressive Conservatives elected to the legislature that brought Alberta out of the dark ages of the old Social Credit regime.

Thank you for starting this thread. I absolutely agree with your statement and sentiments.

RIP Mr. Getty, Thank you for your services to our Province and our Country.

BW
Old 03-02-2016, 11:18 AM

He should be remembered as a great Albertan. Got some Grey Cup rings, was part of a fledgling political party that ruled the roost for years and served the people for a long time. RIP Mr Premier.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:43 PM

I remember his entitled kid got a slap on the wrist for 3/4 pound of cocaine whereas at the time anybody else would have got serious jail time and a criminal record for trafficking, and we got a day off in Feb called Family day that the government put it's spin on.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I remember his entitled kid got a slap on the wrist for 3/4 pound of cocaine whereas at the time anybody else would have got serious jail time and a criminal record for trafficking, and we got a day off in Feb called Family day that the government put it's spin on.
His son had some problems with domestic abuse.

You're getting that confused with the Oiler's coke scandals of the day - and there were no "slaps on the wrist" handed out over that.

Enjoy your Family Day next year.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:12 PM

Default Don Getty

deserves great respect and condolences at his passing for his public service and his accomplishments outside of politics.
He may not be getting the accolades one might expect because, while he was a very well-meaning and honorable gentleman and politician, he was, just to be bluntly honest, a very weak and incompetent Premier. I well remember the embarassment that many of us sufferred of being associated with the PC party during his tenure.
At least there is the comfort that before he departed a couple of even worse occupants of the office came along to move him down the "fail" list (Redfraud, Notley).
Old 03-02-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
deserves great respect and condolences at his passing for his public service and his accomplishments outside of politics.
He may not be getting the accolades one might expect because, while he was a very well-meaning and honorable gentleman and politician, he was, just to be bluntly honest, a very weak and incompetent Premier. I well remember the embarassment that many of us sufferred of being associated with the PC party during his tenure.
At least there is the comfort that before he departed a couple of even worse occupants of the office came along to move him down the "fail" list (Redfraud, Notley).
You forgot to add Klein and Stelmac to the list of PC leaders that also failed the competency test and got eaten up and destroyed by their own greedy colleagues.

It a pity more men and women of Lougheed's caliber didn't steep up to the plate. Mr. Getty was a part of the era. The subsequent leads were just con fraudsters.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:43 PM

I rather liked the memorial cartoon run in the Edmonton Journal:

Old 03-02-2016, 03:24 PM

edited.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
His son had some problems with domestic abuse.

You're getting that confused with the Oiler's coke scandals of the day - and there were no "slaps on the wrist" handed out over that.

Enjoy your Family Day next year.
Then the ctv calgary news must have got it wrong. It was his son who got busted.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Banned

There was a thread on him, not many fans
Old 03-02-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Then the ctv calgary news must have got it wrong. It was his son who got busted.
This thread isn't about his son. His sons addictions or other personal problems akin to his son or son's.

If you can't or don't want to show respect to Don Getty then keep quiet and show your respect that way.

I was taught to show respect to the deceased or keep quiet.

BW
Old 03-02-2016, 08:55 PM

Default Klein

Quote:
You forgot to add Klein and Stelmac to the list of PC leaders that also failed the competency test and got eaten up and destroyed by their own greedy colleagues.

It a pity more men and women of Lougheed's caliber didn't steep up to the plate. Mr. Getty was a part of the era. The subsequent leads were just con fraudsters.
was a GREAT premier, of or better than the calibre of Loughheed. Maybe our best ever. How did he fail the competency test? By having a great common touch that inspired Albertans to elect him with huge majorities over and over. By being honest enough to face reality, reduce government, and pay off the huge Getty debt plague. By boldly admitting when he was wrong and fixing the mistakes. By actually listening to "Martha and Henry" and doing their bidding. By just not being an average BS politician. Which of these huge "failures" is your main problem ?

I was an "insider" at the time and, to my discredit, I did not support Ralph for the leadership at the time, because I had the impression that he was too beholden to the Getty crowd of old political functionaries that were the problem. I was completely wrong in my assessment - he tossed those idiots right away, without any remorse, and set out to do the right things - damn the torpedos. If only we had any politicians with his political guts and honesty today. Someone you could respect, even if you did not agree. Unlike anyone we have now (?).
Old 03-02-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
was a GREAT premier, of or better than the calibre of Loughheed. Maybe our best ever. How did he fail the competency test? By having a great common touch that inspired Albertans to elect him with huge majorities over and over. By being honest enough to face reality, reduce government, and pay off the huge Getty debt plague. By boldly admitting when he was wrong and fixing the mistakes. By actually listening to "Martha and Henry" and doing their bidding. By just not being an average BS politician. Which of these huge "failures" is your main problem ?

I was an "insider" at the time and, to my discredit, I did not support Ralph for the leadership at the time, because I had the impression that he was too beholden to the Getty crowd of old political functionaries that were the problem. I was completely wrong in my assessment - he tossed those idiots right away, without any remorse, and set out to do the right things - damn the torpedos. If only we had any politicians with his political guts and honesty today. Someone you could respect, even if you did not agree. Unlike anyone we have now (?).
Those were the easy money glory days when people used to joke that you could elect a goat or a donkey to run the PC party and the province and things would still work out OK.

The richest and most powerful provincial political party in Canada sure did a hell of a job screwing up. The people of Alberta were so disgusted that they finally turfed the scoundrels out and elected an NDP majority.

The old functionaries were the problem alright.

They inbreed and reproduced a generation or two of incompetent, entitled political insiders that took us royally to the cleaners.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:53 AM

RIP Premier Getty

Go away JimBS
Old 03-03-2016, 02:42 PM

Default Mr. Getty

Quote:

We bit closer than most;

Great family man, honest, talented and most of all sincere.

We'll be missed.

RIP

Mr. Getty
Old 03-04-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
This thread isn't about his son. His sons addictions or other personal problems akin to his son or son's.

If you can't or don't want to show respect to Don Getty then keep quiet and show your respect that way.

I was taught to show respect to the deceased or keep quiet.

BW
Yes sir sorry sir won't happen again sir. Thank you for telling me how to think sir by the way king ralph was a D-BAG also. Have a nice day sir.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Yes sir sorry sir won't happen again sir. Thank you for telling me how to think sir by the way king ralph was a D-BAG also. Have a nice day sir.
It's quite obvious that you don't get the point of this thread.

I was also told never to argue with an idiot as he will beat you with experience and bring you down to the level of an idiot.

Whatever you believe Mr. Getty is or was, or his kids are or were then start a new thread and go with it.

BW
Old 03-04-2016, 09:50 AM

Hey guys don't forget: Opinions are like A-holes every body has one and slagging politicians alive or dead is and always will be an accepted practice in a free world. If you are so torn up send a card.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Banned

His son is also an avid hunter and a member here by the way