Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2024, 07:45 AM

Default Quikrete Recap Concrete Resurfacer

Any reviews on this product? And I don't mean I know some shmoe put it on his driveway and it was crap, I am looking for someone or knows someone that that followed the instillation instructions to a T. I know it will crack again where there are existing cracks. My driveway is pretty pitted and am looking to resurface if I can. I guess the question is does it stick and not delaminate.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-08-2024, 07:51 AM

If you want something that will last ,why not try that rubber /tar capping they do . I believe they have different colours now besides black .
Old 05-08-2024, 11:29 AM

I just bought a couple pales of quickcrete. I’m going to do along the bottom of the garage door where the salt has deteriorated the cement. My bil used it on a large crack in a sidewalk and it worked well.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:17 PM

https://terrafuse.com/

This is the product I found the most promising when researching resurfacing products. I don’t have any affiliation either.

Rubber topping, 😂 they are charging more than a complete rip and replace of concrete when I contacted companies.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:50 PM

Thanks brendon444, this looks very promising.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:45 PM

We used it on a step that had some deep pitting and a corner broke off and yes we followed to a t but... we did the concrete bonder before and it turned hellish hot the day we did it but its still fine 3 years later the corner is the only place it looks like its going to be a problem and it was really a crap shoot on that because it was a large chunk broke off
Old 05-08-2024, 08:22 PM

one of my neighbors resurfaced his driveway at least 5 times, twice by a contractor who promised it would last at least 20 years. it started de-laminating with in a couple years. The neighbor was trying to correct his mistake of melting his snow and ice with salt. They tried lots of stuff to clean out the salt problems, but nothing worked. Salt is the problem, period. Even the salt from the roads dripping on the driveway and garage are potential problems. If there isn't any good slope or drainage, and the water pools in low areas, salt will eventually break down the concrete.
The best fix before you spend dollars on the resurface, is to cut out the concrete with a concrete saw in a nice sized area, or two or three places depending on the areas of damage. And pour in new concrete. If you can cut out your driveway damage in symmetrical layout, use SR concrete. It's a little darker then normal, but looks way better then crumbled sand and concrete.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:52 PM

Expansion and contraction between the layers means it’s going to fail pretty much no matter what.

If thickness is not problem, you could use a layer of sand then pour a new lift on top. The sand allows the two different layers to contract and expand on their own.

The Roman’s knew about this and their buildings are still standing.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:28 AM

I would think the best thing for concrete would be the coatings that are not porous. One of the concrete contractors in my area stated that salt itself does not eat or hurt concrete. The majority of the damage is done to the concrete when the salt turns the ice/snow to water then it enters the pores of the concrete and re freezes and expands as the mix is diluted by more ice and snow. This is the reason why there is no ice melt that is actually concrete friendly.
If the quickcrete is porous I would think as soon as you resumed salt usage it would flake and lift again.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I would think the best thing for concrete would be the coatings that are not porous. One of the concrete contractors in my area stated that salt itself does not eat or hurt concrete. The majority of the damage is done to the concrete when the salt turns the ice/snow to water then it enters the pores of the concrete and re freezes and expands as the mix is diluted by more ice and snow. This is the reason why there is no ice melt that is actually concrete friendly.
If the quickcrete is porous I would think as soon as you resumed salt usage it would flake and lift again.
If that were the case then there would not be pitting on the floor in my heated garage.