Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Default Difference in Powders

I recently bought some IMR 4227 for my 22 hornet pistol, It goes with some 45 grain "varmit" hornady bullets. This morning i bought some 35 grain hornady v-max lead because I thought I could use the IMR 4227 powder in it. Apparently I miss read the hornady book and I need H 4227 powder for the 35 grain bullets instead of IMR 4227. Can i use the IMR powder for the 35 grain V-MAX bullets or is this bad? Bare with me because I'm a newby to relaoding.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 PM

Default you answered your own question

if the book says H4227 for 45 grain bullets taht is what is required.
if the manual says 45 grain bulllets I don't know what you are going to do with the 35 grain bullets unless the manual has another load listed. No substitutes for proven recipes and start low and work up gradually.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:58 PM

I suggest you go to the IMR website and see if they have load data for the 35gr bullet. Reloading manuals only have so much room to publish loads. Go right to the horses mouth and see if they have a listing.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:02 PM

There is some debate on that subject, they were two different powders, or at least, lots of the same powder that had different burn rates. You can check with Hodgdon and give them the lot nbr to be sure as to what they are selling now. It seems they were going to sell only one version, and label it all under one designation. If or when that has been done yet, is a question only they can answer, as they now package and sell both brands. Whether they still do it as the two brands is the question, and when or if they made that change.
There are a few powders out from them now, that are exactly the same thing in both labels apparently.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:46 PM

Default assumptions

Quote:
There are a few powders out from them now, that are exactly the same thing in both labels apparently
I would expect that unfounded assumptions such as these probably could injure a new loader who doesn't know better than to trust advice on the internet.

The Powder burn rate by Hodgson does list both with separate but similar burn rates but to suggest them (or any other powder) to be interchangeable is negligent.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 PM

I'm pretty confused now because IMR's website doesn't have any IMR4227 listed for pisol loads but it has H4227 listed for every bullet weight and my Hornady book has IMR 4227 listed for 45 grain bullets. maybe I'll just go buy some Lil Gun powder and say to hell with the confusion!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:35 PM

I think you inadvertantly just bought the wrong powder.
I see only one load for a 30 grain bullet for a 22 hornet rifle.
Under pistol loads on the same site I see a load for almost every pistol bullet weight for the 22 hornet using H4227.
hodgdon owns IMR so they produce both powders and have loads for everything here.

http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html
Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 PM

OK, I deserved that one WW. Why I made that statement is only attributable to letting a bat escape the belfry. I know better, I made a BIG mistake in posting that one. I'll take my shots for that one , it is deserved.
The original intent when I started it, was to say the OP could call Hodgdon or Hornady and ask them for the data, if they had it yet.
Apologies to the OP for the confusion. It should never have happened.
My fault.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 PM

Load up 13 grains of 4227, a 35 grain vmax, and heres the hornet trick use small pistol primers, if you use small rifle primers you may run into pressure problems. This trick was given to me buy a long time hornet shooter. You could also try hogdon little gun powder seems to work well in my hornet.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Is that 13 grains of IMR or Hodgdon powder?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM

I prefer Lil Gun in my 22Hornet rifle, as it produces very good velocity at lower pressure levels. I use Remington 6-1/2 primers, as they are actually designed for cartridges of this capacity, and they produce very good accuracy, with no chance of pierced primers which can happen when using pistol primers.