Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 02:47 PM

Default Bow river float times

Lookin to go from either 22x or policeman’s to McKinnon once it drops and clears up. Never done it before so wondering how long it takes. Not including stop time what would just the straight float take? Also what is traffic like in June? I will be in an 8’ zodiac if that makes any difference. Also just a little survey. What do you prefer side channels or main river? Thanks all
Old 05-25-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Lookin to go from either 22x or policeman’s to McKinnon once it drops and clears up. Never done it before so wondering how long it takes. Not including stop time what would just the straight float take? Also what is traffic like in June? I will be in an 8’ zodiac if that makes any difference. Also just a little survey. What do you prefer side channels or main river? Thanks all
It will all depend on the flow rate, run-off etc. June can be high and dirty. I truly don't know what it will be like come June this year.

Police to Mac usually is about 7-9 hours straight float time. 22x would add a couple hours to that.

You can make Police to Mac as long as you want, so I would probably recommend that trip.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:29 PM

Ok thanks. Will just have to see when it clears up and I get a chance to go but will plan do a full day
Old 05-31-2018, 08:09 AM

22 to mack is about 7 hours straight float time. No stops for fishing or lunch.
Police to mack is closer to 5-5 1/2.
Glenmore to 22 is about 2 1/2.
Side channels can be good but unless you know the river and the time of year they can look decent at the top and get very skinny in the actual channel. One good one to check out until about late July depending on flows would be on river right after the merry go round and just before the highwood. There is a buffalo run there and you can see bones lining the bank. It can be skinny and tight at the bottom but neat to see.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:19 AM

Default my results

When my brother and I drifted it one Aug, I took my gps with me. We drifted from Policemen's to McKinnon flats and according to my gps, it was 24 km and took us 7 hrs, We stopped for lunch and stopped to land fish/change flies.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
When my brother and I drifted it one Aug, I took my gps with me. We drifted from Policemen's to McKinnon flats and according to my gps, it was 24 km and took us 7 hrs, We stopped for lunch and stopped to land fish/change flies.
Lots of great runs in this stretch, my favorite for sure.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Lots of great runs in this stretch, my favorite for sure.
X2,my fave as well.
There's also a map/distance/float time chart posted at the 22x launch parking lot for reference if you are nearby there,but 7-8 hrs Police-MacKinnon sounds about right....I actually take longer,can easily turn Police-Mac into a 12-14hr day if you take your time/make a few stops/get out to walk n wade a few areas etc.

Last edited by West O'5; 06-02-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:15 PM

Awesome thanks guys