Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2010, 12:01 AM

Default !! Emergency Read for any Alberta Outdoors People

This was sent to me today and you need to read it. We are on the verge of losing over 100 quarters of Crown Grazing lease that is home to native grass and all the species that rely on it. I have hunted pronghorn, mule deer and sharp tailed grouse on these lands and the loss of this area will be staggering. Once you plow up this grass there is no going back. Potato farms provide no habitat for wildlife and thus no hunting. This is a bone head decision seeing that we cannot export potatoes out of the province due to the nematode problem. Please don't let them sell this land off people. It will only make it easier for the government to do it somewhere else in the future and take away more land that you and I to enjoy.

http://albertawilderness.ca/news/201...s2019-position

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:16 PM

Wow! Bumped to page 2 without a peep from any of you. Is this not an important issue to the outdoors people??

Old 10-17-2010, 08:25 PM

While I am not a resident of Ab and what you say is true about the land being plowed under for spud crop then I would agree with you on there is something that needs to be done ASAP.
I have yet to read the article and confirm your points, but it sounds like someone is getting a golden hand shake of sorts.
I'll go and read the article and the lest that comes of this from me is a bump to the top for those that reside in the area , so they maybe informed of pland in their backyard,
Rob
Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

The thread has been read quite number of times, wasn't there a thread on this a little while ago as well?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Just got back from Brooks / Vauxhall area looking for the last Pheasant in the Province, I was just going to take it's picture, honest. Immediately East and South of the Oasis Service station about 12 section along the easy side of the 36 are up for auction. Memories are tricky but the I think the Min. price was $600 K / section. It is all now Prarie / Grazing Lease / Habitat / abet grazed down Habitat and will soon be sold and something else.

EID is the owner and seller.
So what will EID do with the $MM??? you can be they won't buy offset private acerage and put into wildlife Habitat.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 PM

That would be quite the loss, if the deal goes through. What I get from the article is that this deal is before council and that the government knows the people's position on the sale. Please do keep us updated as you get more information.

Niksa
Old 10-17-2010, 08:36 PM

Default Back-room deal

This sounds suspicious, some sort of back room Alberta kinda deal. Do you call your MP or who about this?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:49 PM

This has been talked about in another thread about a month ago.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=prov+convert
Old 10-17-2010, 09:10 PM

Default wild rose

I think the fastest growing crop right now should be the wild rose (party)and not potatoes. These A-holes are really pushing the line. We dont seem to hear a peep out of "steady Eddy" except through media releases of screw-ups like this.
I honestly feel that good-ol' Mel Knight is out to do with wildlife and habitat, what he did with the oilpatch.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 PM

My apologies as I did not see that thread before.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:34 PM

I sent a letter to my mla. it was forwarded to Minister Knight, The answer I got was that the sale was not approved yet and habitat and wildlife would be considered against job creation. The answer AFGA got should be on their website soon. thanks to the guys who brouth this out in to the open. Gord