Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Banned

Default Big Stone/Blood Indian Creek reservoir

Thursday from 1100am to 300pm in 8' of water under 15" of ice caught and released 12 trout under 14" and one over. I was using dew worms cut in half and red hand-snelled octopus hooks 4"-12" of the bottom. Guys nearby were using corn and doing okay. One guy drove on late in the day to install his shanty in the village that sets up every year in the east cove. Hope this helps.
Carolside ( Berry Creek reservoir) has been seriously depleted of water and is in danger of drying up completely.Local guy told me to target perch at the rocky points at the bays but it looks like a sand bottom to me. Did not try.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 PM

BCR, have yet to find a perch or a walleye there...maybe my camera is faulty

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 12-19-2009, 10:15 AM

Seen a walleye pulled out of Carolside with my own eyes, good sized. I've yet to catch one or see one on the camera as well. Used to be perch in good numbers, but haven't seen or heard of one in years. From what I understand, they are gonna redo the dam, thus the water levels down. Apparently there's gonna be a much better boat launch and campground as well. You can see the piles of rocks they're gonna use in the SE corner. Haven't seen it with the levels down, but I'll be out there next week. Let ya know how we do.

On Blood Indian, nothing works better than a marabou feathered jig. Caught many a whopper on it. Brown is the most consistant color, but pink and olive are also good bets. Fished that area since the mid 80's. The fisheries guy for that area is pushing to have brookies put into Blood, would be interesting to see. I know they tried this at Nicholas Sheridan (sp?) but not sure what the outcome was. No Brooks in Blood yet...
Old 12-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Brookies would be great......a little variety
So he wants to put in a mix of bows n brookies or just brookies?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Both as far as I understood him. Can't see them not stocking bows, like ya say... brookies for some variety.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

Returned to the same hole on Tuesday and landed the biggest rainbows ever out of this pond. Fished for two hours in the NE wind and caught 7, the first of which was 18" and the next three over 14" and the last three under 12.
The shanty village is filling up fast. The ice has settled down and was a lot less noisy. For you Med.Hat guys this pond is only 1.25 hrs north of Ralston and has always been a good spot for trout. Run a line of holes east from the point on the peninsula to include all depths. The store is closed for the season.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 AM

Fished Blood in the SE corner (couple of permanents there). Caught a few smaller bows, all went back, and almost caught the muskrat that pops his head up the hole every now and then. Also fished Carolside a couple times over the last few days. Water levels seem normal, maybe down a bit. Still lots of 30 -35ft holes. Definately not as steady of action as usual. Had 10 or so flags, and only ended up with 5. All pike - a couple over legal but all went back.