Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:05 PM

Default Obligations for selling a gun?

Hey I'm looking to sell a gun of mine. What are my legal obligations when and if I sell it? Do I need to record a PAL number? Report it sold to anyone? Since the registry is dead my understanding is that I really have no obligations but it feels weird not to have to record a PAL number as anyone could say they do and purchase a gun this way! Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:09 PM

Make sure PAL is valid, collect cash.....done. For non restricted that is.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:11 PM

Assuming non restricted, you must Have no reason to believe the purchaser is prohibited from owning the firearm. Arguably the best way is to simply see there PAL and verify it is not expired. No recording and no reporting.

Edit, I typed slow. See above.

Last edited by coreya3212; 05-04-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:57 PM

I like to draw up a bill of sale with the serial number on it with each party's signature. Feels more official.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
I like to draw up a bill of sale with the serial number on it with each party's signature. Feels more official.
not with me you won't
Old 05-04-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
not with me you won't
Me neither. Would never want a rifle that bad.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
x3
Old 05-04-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:

+1
Old 05-04-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
not with me you won't
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
x3
Why?
Old 05-04-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
+1
Elk Hunter you are innumerate, that would be x4 or +1

Edit: OK I am an idiot who is illiterate.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:18 PM

X4
Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Why?
Because its like putting an elevator in an outhouse. Completely unnecessary

Valid PAL + $ = sale

Liberals took the mentality of " there needs to be more" and that is how the LGR was formed.

There doesnt need to be anymore than what I posted above
Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 PM

Default firearm sale

When buying a used firearm from someone you don't know, we all want the transaction to go smoothly and all to be happy with the final sale.
We also all would like to believe the seller is a stand up person of their word but what's saying that the seller you do not know is not such a nice person and has ideas of his own.

So I show up at your home or a meeting spot in my vehicle, I purchase a firearm from you, paid cash as most of us do, no receipt or anything to prove I just purchased this from you, and drive away happy with my purchase.

The seller picks up the old cell ph 911, I just had a firearm stolen from me that I was showing someone his description is as follows... he drives such and such a vehicle lic#... ... last seen driving down such and such a road. I bet you may be stopped and a high risk take down to follow. OH I see you have a firearm, where did you get it? I just bought it. Ummm Hummm
Do you have any documentation to prove that? No. Oh I see, as we have a complainant that says you just stole said firearm from him and we are taking it back to him and you are coming with us...

Just saying fellow AO members, this is not a couch you are buying and the cops probably would not care so much but because it is a firearm you purchased it changes alot of things especially to law enforcement. You have no leg to stand on and you will be out the cash, have no firearm, and trouble with law enforcement that you will need to spend time and money no doubt to get your self out of hot water, all because you have no paper work.

I know you don't need it and we have all done it, But it's certainly something to keep in the back of your mind when you do purchase said firearm.
And that's all I have to say about that.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 PM

Paranoid much?
Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAD40 View Post
When buying a used firearm from someone you don't know, we all want the transaction to go smoothly and all to be happy with the final sale.
We also all would like to believe the seller is a stand up person of their word but what's saying that the seller you do not know is not such a nice person and has ideas of his own.

So I show up at your home or a meeting spot in my vehicle, I purchase a firearm from you, paid cash as most of us do, no receipt or anything to prove I just purchased this from you, and drive away happy with my purchase.

The seller picks up the old cell ph 911, I just had a firearm stolen from me that I was showing someone his description is as follows... he drives such and such a vehicle lic#... ... last seen driving down such and such a road. I bet you may be stopped and a high risk take down to follow. OH I see you have a firearm, where did you get it? I just bought it. Ummm Hummm
Do you have any documentation to prove that? No. Oh I see, as we have a complainant that says you just stole said firearm from him and we are taking it back to him and you are coming with us...

Just saying fellow AO members, this is not a couch you are buying and the cops probably would not care so much but because it is a firearm you purchased it changes alot of things especially to law enforcement. You have no leg to stand on and you will be out the cash, have no firearm, and trouble with law enforcement that you will need to spend time and money no doubt to get your self out of hot water, all because you have no paper work.

I know you don't need it and we have all done it, But it's certainly something to keep in the back of your mind when you do purchase said firearm.
FFS. Maybe stick with basket weaving, the same thing could happen when you buy one of them off a deceitful granny.

Even the government will admit that PAL holders are some of the most law abiding people in the country.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-18-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Paranoid much?
Yeah, if I didn't know a person I would have to have dome kind of contact like an Internet gun forum and there would be PM's back and forth, etc
Quite a load of BS for something that would not likely be worth more than 1,500 bucks!
Cat
Old 12-18-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Do you sleep with a night light on?
Seriously do you think a seller would risk getting charged with fraud over the price of a gun?
Any cop is going to see through a false 911 call and a BS story about a stolen gun and lay charges against the caller.
He would need more evidence than just his lame story.
An add of the gun for sale would sway the truth in the buyers favour.
If you are that paranoid, take someone with you as a witness.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:14 PM

Default gun purchase

I knew this was coming. I said we all have done it, as we all have INCLUDING MYSELF, but I am just saying the possibility is there for such nonsence to happen. Just trying to show the other side of the coin is all.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I knew this was coming. I said we all have done it, as we all have INCLUDING MYSELF, but I am just saying the possibility is there for such nonsence to happen. Just trying to show the other side of the coin is all.
You knew it was coming?
That's called trolling.

Possibility it could happen, sure and Danielle Smith could jump to the Republican party and become president.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:

I understand what you have presented.

Thank you.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:11 AM

Default Evidence Is Evidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
I understand what you have presented.

Thank you.
There is usually a paper trail, emails back and forth possibly phone records to prove that ruse as just that!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn_missed_again View Post
Hey I'm looking to sell a gun of mine. What are my legal obligations when and if I sell it? Do I need to record a PAL number? Report it sold to anyone? Since the registry is dead my understanding is that I really have no obligations but it feels weird not to have to record a PAL number as anyone could say they do and purchase a gun this way! Thanks for your advice.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...vendre-eng.htm
Old 12-19-2014, 07:30 AM

Would the seller need to be concerned of documenting the transaction if the gun was used in a crime after it was sold and the serial number brought the RCMP to the door. I'm also thinking of Hennessy and cheese man.

In a court situation , I would hope you would be cleared but who needs the huge hassle and costs.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Slayer View Post
Would the seller need to be concerned of documenting the transaction if the gun was used in a crime after it was sold and the serial number brought the RCMP to the door. I'm also thinking of Hennessy and cheese man.

In a court situation , I would hope you would be cleared but who needs the huge hassle and costs.
How would the serial number bring the cops to your door? Records were destroyed.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 AM
Banned

I sold a Pressure Cooker at a garage sale a few years ago,,,,

It still bothers me to this day,,,

The Babooshkha that bought it didn't have any Photo ID , and She only spoke Ukrainian,,,

She maybe turned it into a Weapon of Mass Destruction,,,

My Bad !

PS; Luckily I had Filed all the a SERIAL NUMBERS off of the Pressure Cooker !
Old 12-19-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:

And this is why I originally posted about liking a bill of sale. Its not to show support for the LGR, but rather to cover my own ass. You can say you have a paper trail on AO or emails or whatever, but a bill of sale takes no time and has both parties names on it. Done.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Without a registry how do they know it was once yours?
Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=127459

There are no absolutes
Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
How would the serial number bring the cops to your door? Records were destroyed.
You know when you buy a gun at a retail chain (WSS, Cabelas, BPS, etc)? They take all this info down. Including the purchaser's PAL. Yes, police will figure this out.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Without a registry how do they know it was once yours?
Maybe his DNA was on the gun, many people "Love their gun" , sticky subject !
Closed Thread