Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Default Boar

I have been told that there are wild boar around Caroline, is this true and is there a season on them.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:43 PM

There is not a season for them ! They can behunted all year long on any property that you can /have permission on !!!

Now finding any info beyond that may be tough , most folks are pretty tight lipped about them . Do a search , there is about a dozen or more threads already on the subject and see what you can find ! Best advice is to go out and spend some time scouting and see what you can find ! Good luck
Old 12-16-2014, 06:46 PM

I don't know anything about that area but from my understanding boar are an invasive species in Alberta and there for they are open game anytime you want and as often as you want. I believe there are counties that still have bounties even.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Banned

Go to Poland and hunt them lol
Old 12-16-2014, 10:52 PM

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch...ml?id=10251783
50$ for a pair of ears isn't worth the trouble imo.
Good luck finding them!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:10 AM

More about the challenge of hunting. Think the ones around Caroline, actually James River area, like the ones around Bergen have all met their fate. County of Red Deer claims they haven't paid out a bounty since 2008.

Grizz
Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Default Few and Far Between...

I have been lucky enought to anchor a few...its almost always an opportunity rather than a hunt specifically for boars.

They are for the most part nocturnal and move to feed or water late, last 30 minutes of daylight, unless its extremely hot and they will go to water, or extremely cold and they need to feed.

here are a few pictures of some of the ones I've harvested over the past several years. Including my biggest last spring while bear hunting.

Last edited by Stumpslayer; 03-05-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Jeepers, that's a pretty nice boar, that first one!
Cat
Old 12-17-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
jeepers, that's a pretty nice boar, that first one!
cat
x2 what a beast
Old 12-17-2014, 09:12 AM

Default Hunting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
I have been lucky enought to anchor a few...its almost always an opportunity rather than a hunt specifically for boars.

They are for the most part nocturnal and move to feed or water late, last 30 minutes of daylight, unless its extremely hot and they will go to water, or extremely cold and they need to feed.

here are a few pictures of some of the ones I've harvested over the past several years. Including my biggest last spring while bear hunting.
If you are going to try and locate them muskeg seems to be a key winter habitat, watch for their trails to feed in deep snow will make them use the same trail as they are low to the ground, also they will walk around obstacles rather than hop over as a deer would. look for ground that is torn up, they will turn over cereal crops and eat the roots after harvest, bale stacks and siliage piles are also favorites in winter. once you find them, set up down wind of a trail, and sit til dark. Once you shoot at them with a rifle...they will disappear for a few days from the report of the gun, very smart. Bow or crossbow might allow for multiple opportunities.

Last edited by Stumpslayer; 12-17-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: addition point
Old 12-17-2014, 09:20 AM

If you seriously want to hunt a lot of Boar, round trip air to Texas is $520, boar hunting $150 a day, most places you can shoot all you want per day. Can hunt night or day, over feed, spot and stalk or behind dogs. Don't even need to take your own gun, most places are happy to lend you rifle, pistol, spear or whatever you want.

You will likely spend more on gas trying to locate huntable hogs, unless you live right in the area, if you are looking here in Alberta.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:07 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks guys I will check things out in the area. I just moved west of Botrel so not to far away. I need to scout out the area for sure.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Did you get those on a game farm while hunting something else ?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:33 PM

I thought I saw your picture on Savage Encounters photos ! If I'm wrong I apologize.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 PM

Default Free Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
I thought I saw your picture on Savage Encounters photos ! If I'm wrong I apologize.
No fences at all, these are totally 100% free range, I've never hunted anywhere other than Alberta. the hogs are on family land or neighbors adjacent to the property. I've seen many others on private land that I cannot hunt or have not asked permission.

Where exactly did you see the picture? I'm curious and I wonder if anyone has stolen it from my facebook page...I have some friends that had similar experiences on other game animals.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Jeepers, that's a pretty nice boar, that first one!
Cat
sure is-lot's of great winter eatin right there!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
Go to Poland and hunt them lol
I'm Polish and it is actually super hard to actually kill one due to the politics haha.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you seriously want to hunt a lot of Boar, round trip air to Texas is $520, boar hunting $150 a day, most places you can shoot all you want per day. Can hunt night or day, over feed, spot and stalk or behind dogs. Don't even need to take your own gun, most places are happy to lend you rifle, pistol, spear or whatever you want.

You will likely spend more on gas trying to locate huntable hogs, unless you live right in the area, if you are looking here in Alberta.
Also I have hunted in Texas but not with the guides. It is $150 for the first 100 pounds and then after that its $150 per pound. Also Texas has lots of private land now so people pay close to 450,000 a year for a plot of land to shoot deer.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Also I have hunted in Texas but not with the guides. It is $150 for the first 100 pounds and then after that its $150 per pound. Also Texas has lots of private land now so people pay close to 450,000 a year for a plot of land to shoot deer.
Really depends on where you book your hunts. Some are one boar per day for the daily fee then a per pound (Usually $1.50 a pound, not $150 per pound) or per animal charge over that. Others are a higher daily fee, unlimited hogs. Some are high fence, most are free range, fair chase. You really do need to shop around.

I have never hunted with guides unless using dogs. North and South Carolina are also good choices for Hog hunting that is done completely different than they do it in Texas.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:54 PM

Default Boar

Pretty sure Mayerthrope area offers a bounty on them. Edmonton journal back in I think it was Sept or Oct? This past late summer early fall for sure had a front page article about Alberta's wild boar and some counties that where offering bounties for the ears. Deal is kill em. No season, no limit, no regs, bait em, track with dogs what ever. Just don't interfere with other wildlife while using dogs.

They're good eating I've had some of it. If you have luck let us know.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
Pretty sure Mayerthrope area offers a bounty on them. Edmonton journal back in I think it was Sept or Oct? This past late summer early fall for sure had a front page article about Alberta's wild boar and some counties that where offering bounties for the ears. Deal is kill em. No season, no limit, no regs, bait em, track with dogs what ever. Just don't interfere with other wildlife while using dogs.

They're good eating I've had some of it. If you have luck let us know.
Bounty is province wide.

Grizz
Old 12-19-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigpiggler View Post
I have been told that there are wild boar around Caroline, is this true and is there a season on them.
Just head down to the local watering hole and ask the bar keep where you could find a couple pigs, I am sure he will point you in the right direction!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I'm Polish and it is actually super hard to actually kill one due to the politics haha.

Yeah me too part Polish got invited as I have a cousin that is part of a hunting club out there hopefully will go in the next couple years
Old 12-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Good Hunting Stumpslayer!
Do they taste like normal pork?
Old 12-19-2014, 06:51 PM

Default Pork chops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Good Hunting Stumpslayer!
Do they taste like normal pork?
The meat is more like deer or beef, its a lot leaner than regular pork, I have smoked the hams as well, they were excellent. I did shoot one sow that was not at all palletable, it was far from lean, the smaller ones are better eating in my experience, however the big boar was actually good eating, it was right after winter and it was alone in the area so no sows to get him rutted up or boars to fight, these are things that can affect the meat in my experience.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:19 PM

The boar I shot was a free range as well....around 300+ pounds but it had a musky smell when cooked....edible but musky odor.

Stumpslayer is the man when it comes to piggy slaying!

LC
Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM

Just curious when hunting in the U.S.A., can you bring back the meat?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
The meat is more like deer or beef, its a lot leaner than regular pork, I have smoked the hams as well, they were excellent. I did shoot one sow that was not at all palletable, it was far from lean, the smaller ones are better eating in my experience, however the big boar was actually good eating, it was right after winter and it was alone in the area so no sows to get him rutted up or boars to fight, these are things that can affect the meat in my experience.
Thank You.