Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Default Big Allocation Changes Coming in BC

BCWF recently issued an important news release concerning sweeping changes to B.C.'s wildlife allocation policy put in place by the Government of B.C. that will have significant negative impacts on resident hunters in our province:

"Sweeping changes to B.C.’s Wildlife Allocation Policy proposed by the Guide-Outfitters Association of B.C. would dramatically reduce residents’ access to wild game and increase the number of permits sold to foreign big game trophy hunters, according to the B.C. Wildlife Federation (BCWF). This proposed change will result in fewer hunting permits going to B.C. residents.

Most jurisdictions across North America give foreign hunters 5-10 percent of the harvestable surplus of wildlife. The changes proposed by the Guide-Outfitters Association of B.C., which represents 210 outfitters who have exclusive rights to guide trophy hunters, would give foreign hunters up to 40 percent of specific game species such as mountain sheep, goat and bear, and up to 25 percent of moose and elk.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:15 PM

Welcome to the new age of hunting.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Scary stuff. Very unfortunate.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:05 PM

Default Hopefully it doesn't happen

http://energeticcity.ca/article/news...sident-hunters
Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 PM

Before anyone jumps out a window, make sure you know the facts. In reality very little has actually changed, and residents will feel little to no impact.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 PM

Default Resident Hunting

I'm an Alberta resident hunter and in favor the resident all the way. But my question is with the %of potential tags allocated for resident hunting how much success in harvesting animals have the residents contributed traditionally? I suspect that resident hunters in B.C. as here in Alberta are a very small percentage of the over all population. This combined with the fact that an over whelming amount of our two provinces are just about impossible to access by any normal means I would guess and say that more then likely the residents are no where near able to meet the allocated harvest expectation of the province and so Outfitters who are better equipped to access the back country can have a little more and still leave plenty for the resident. I would guess that come next draw season you'll find that the availability to tags hasn't changed much from that of past years. Like anywhere if your willing to do the work to access the tough areas you'll not only get tags but more then likely better harvest rates or at less encounters with your quarry. But most of us unless paid to do so just aren't that motivated to do that much work. Of course you need the right equipment too.

Anyway probably more to the story I'm sure.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Before anyone jumps out a window, make sure you know the facts. In reality very little has actually changed, and residents will feel little to no impact.
The BCWF and every BC hunters association would disagree with you.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:29 AM

they are going to create a hole bunch of poachers with this bs, residents should always get priority
Old 12-18-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
You must work fir a bc outfitter
Old 12-18-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
BCWF recently issued an important news release concerning sweeping changes to B.C.'s wildlife allocation policy put in place by the Government of B.C. that will have significant negative impacts on resident hunters in our province:

"Sweeping changes to B.C.’s Wildlife Allocation Policy proposed by the Guide-Outfitters Association of B.C. would dramatically reduce residents’ access to wild game and increase the number of permits sold to foreign big game trophy hunters, according to the B.C. Wildlife Federation (BCWF). This proposed change will result in fewer hunting permits going to B.C. residents.

Most jurisdictions across North America give foreign hunters 5-10 percent of the harvestable surplus of wildlife. The changes proposed by the Guide-Outfitters Association of B.C., which represents 210 outfitters who have exclusive rights to guide trophy hunters, would give foreign hunters up to 40 percent of specific game species such as mountain sheep, goat and bear, and up to 25 percent of moose and elk.
They tried this in the past. If I recall correctly at that time, part of their goal was to get stone sheep on LEH for residents while maintaining their quotas. At up to 30-40000$ for a stone hunt they would like to see the most of the residents out of the mountains instead of competing for those sheep. Hope the residents hunters of BC are able to defeat the GOABC on this.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
In a way your correct, it took me 12 years to 'win' my last bull moose LEH...ive never been drawn for cow elk, Rosie elk, grizz, bison....and only once for goat. So your kind of right it will not make much of a difference.....they already give the guides too many tags and I cannot get them. So how will giving them 5000 more tags make it much worse???

IMHO if residents are under LEH for a species....there should be zero allocation to non resident aliens.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:04 AM

If the region 4 bighorn change of the outfitters no longer being on a quota is true it could affect Albertans as well a few more of those rams that hang along the alberta/ B.C. border may no longer be making it. Well at least the full curl ones.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post

IMHO if residents are under LEH for a species....there should be zero allocation to non resident aliens.

x2
Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 AM

No one seems to complain when the outfitters fight for the BC grizzly bear hunt...for residents and outfitters
Old 12-18-2014, 09:36 AM

Outdoor fanatic:
I doubt you are the fanatic your name suggest. There are likely no areas left in Alberta where residents cannot take the available quotas of animals. Certainly none in the mountains and it is only going to get more that way, as long as houses have bedrooms!Not many draw hunts need zero priority!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckHunterBowen View Post
No one seems to complain when the outfitters fight for the BC grizzly bear hunt...for residents and outfitters
Might want to change 'were' to 'We're' in your sigline.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
In a way your correct, it took me 12 years to 'win' my last bull moose LEH...ive never been drawn for cow elk, Rosie elk, grizz, bison....and only once for goat. So your kind of right it will not make much of a difference.....they already give the guides too many tags and I cannot get them. So how will giving them 5000 more tags make it much worse???

Since moose went on a draw in the Kootenays (25 yrs?), I have never missed applying and have never gotten drawn. For the 25 or so years that elk were on draw in W Koots, I never got drawn. What we need is sound management, not exclusion.
We are sounding like Daffy Duck - "Mine, mine, mine,...all mine!"
There is room for everyone, given time and good management.
We view and post on other provinces' forums. Why can we not also share the resources? I, personally would support a controlled sharing of all game, with the residents getting the lion's share.
Wyoming has a system of priority points and the availability of unused tags after the initial draw.
This maintains control of the kills and maximizes hunter opportunity.
I like it.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 AM

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...n-2014-FAQ.pdf

Be careful reading this. There may be correct information included and It might even make sense.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:12 AM

Poaching... the new general tag.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:24 AM

Motions like this worry me b/c of the whole "give an inch/take a mile" thing. If GO's get this one wrapped up, they won't stop there. As Bdub suggests they'll work on whittling away resident hunters in "their" stone sheep areas...so on and so forth.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Motions like this worry me b/c of the whole "give an inch/take a mile" thing. If GO's get this one wrapped up, they won't stop there. As Bdub suggests they'll work on whittling away resident hunters in "their" stone sheep areas...so on and so forth.
Your right they are already lobbying to have ALL hunt able species put on LEH.....no kidding.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...n-2014-FAQ.pdf

Be careful reading this. There may be correct information included and It might even make sense.
Yes, we've read it and what gets me is the R4 guides now have a GOS on Bighorn.. The biologists are shaking their heads as we speak. They will shoot most of, if not all the legal rams. Conservation doesn't equate in the minds of Politicians or Outfitters.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Outfitters for years have tried to have "resident hunters" on LEH. And they would love nothing more than having a 1 in 3yr sheep harvest for Residents, especially in the Peace region.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:

X3. Especially Roosevelt elk.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckHunterBowen View Post
Believe me, the Resident hunter fought very hard and continues to fight to keep this open for LEH. Some of the Outfitters gave up and sold out to the likes of Rainforest groups. I put in for a draw every year, maybe one day I'll get lucky.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:54 PM

BC Wildlife Allocation Briefing Points

Kelowna Presentation

The following are main briefing points of the proposed changes to the BC Wildlife Allocation that were explained during the presentation by Jesse Zeman in Kelowna on December 16th, 2014. (Download Document Here: KDFGC meeting )

Wildlife is a public resource
It should be managed to maximize the benefit of British Columbians
It should not be privatized

BC residents, who rely on hunting to fill their freezers and sustain their family, should be given priority when it comes to issuing wildlife allocations
British Columbian resident hunters spend $230 million per year on hunting related expenditures
British Columbian resident hunters spend over $9 million on hunting license fees and surcharges
BCWF members donate over 300,000 hours annually to fish and wildlife conservation

The number of resident hunters has increased by 20% over the last 10 years from 85,000 to 102,000
As hunters increase, wildlife populations decrease and resident hunter allocations go down your chances of getting a draw goes down
That means fewer hunting opportunities

The number of non-resident hunters has decreased by 30% over the last 10 years from 6,500 to 4,500

Most jurisdictions in North America allocate 5-10% of wildlife allocations to non-residents

The BCWF believes foreign hunters should be limited to a maximum of 10% for moose and elk, and 25% for sheep, grizzly bears and goats and these allocations should be legislated!!
Given the number of resident hunters in BC this would give Guide-outfitters the best deal in North America

Government has given foreign hunters 40% of grizzlies, 35% of goats, unlimited sheep in Region 4, and 20-25% of moose, 20% of elk
Guide Outfitters get the best deal in North America
For more information check out:

BCWF.bc.ca

OCEOLA.ca & Oceola Fish and Game Club’s Facebook page

Huntingbc.ca
Old 12-21-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:

x4

It makes my blood boil that 40% of LEH tags are sold to foreign trophy hunters. I just don't get it. Millions of dollars is invested directly and indirectly through resident hunter support of wildlife conservation projects so the government can just pass 40% of the harvest to foreigners? Shame on the Gov of BC.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Do you have the facts to back up your statement?
Please share ....
Old 01-05-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
I'm an Alberta resident hunter and in favor the resident all the way. But my question is with the %of potential tags allocated for resident hunting how much success in harvesting animals have the residents contributed traditionally? I suspect that resident hunters in B.C. as here in Alberta are a very small percentage of the over all population. This combined with the fact that an over whelming amount of our two provinces are just about impossible to access by any normal means I would guess and say that more then likely the residents are no where near able to meet the allocated harvest expectation of the province and so Outfitters who are better equipped to access the back country can have a little more and still leave plenty for the resident. I would guess that come next draw season you'll find that the availability to tags hasn't changed much from that of past years. Like anywhere if your willing to do the work to access the tough areas you'll not only get tags but more then likely better harvest rates or at less encounters with your quarry. But most of us unless paid to do so just aren't that motivated to do that much work. Of course you need the right equipment too.

Anyway probably more to the story I'm sure.

Alberta outfitters are making it harder for resident hunters. The prairie WMUs are getting harder to get tags for mule deer & antelope. Outfitters are taking all their tags a putting them into 1 or 2 zones making it harder to get drawn. Harsh winters have had an impact on draws also but outfitters don't get reduced tags residents do. Also when the outfitters get together with APOS & SRD why aren't the resident hunters invited. Resident hunters get no say.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:13 AM

bc does stand for Bring Cash
horrible mistake voting the ^(&()^%()///)(* liberals in