Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 09:32 PM

Default Elk Antler Chandelier

I had a bunch of elk antlers and was wondering what to do with my pile that was building up, so I decided to build a chandelier. My wife was blown away that I actually pulled it off. I built it to go in my man cave I will build someday, but my wife wants it in the house. I'm pretty excited about it. If anyone has suggestions on how to hang a 56 pound chandelier, I'm all ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.1 KB, 904 views)
Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 PM

Looks great! Did you bolt the antlers together or attached them another way?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskwhitey View Post
I had a bunch of elk antlers and was wondering what to do with my pile that was building up, so I decided to build a chandelier. My wife was blown away that I actually pulled it off. I built it to go in my man cave I will build someday, but my wife wants it in the house. I'm pretty excited about it. If anyone has suggestions on how to hang a 56 pound chandelier, I'm all ears.
nice build do you have a box where you want to hang it?? might want to go to an electrical wholesaler and get a stronger box. will want to have some big screws into a stud. have fun! that looks like a real joy to get hung up!! I just hung a couple monster fixtures and that is what I did. the boxes had three big lag type bolts that went into the stud.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:08 AM

Nice job, cool project. There is a you tube video of a couple that built a Christmas tree out of antlers, pretty neat too.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:42 AM

Bad news is, if it's not CSA certified, you can't hang it in your house, I believe. If you did, Blocking in the ceiling and a hook, like a ceiling fan.

Grizz
Old 12-18-2014, 08:38 AM

Looks awesome!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 AM

I didn't think of that Grizz. So how would I go about getting it certified? Can an electrician inspect it and certify it? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:55 PM

Some one tell my other half I want one too!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:38 PM

That is nice creation! Should put that on Pinterest
Old 12-18-2014, 05:09 PM

Nice job Brad! It will look awesome in the man cave!
Old 12-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Banned

Looks great, nice work. Another thing to do with elk sheds is to use them as the legs to build a table.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Bad news is, if it's not CSA certified, you can't hang it in your house, I believe. If you did, Blocking in the ceiling and a hook, like a ceiling fan.

Grizz

Then what is up with all the lamp parts available for sale?

You just need to use CSA certtified components.... follow codes....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-20-2014, 12:27 PM

Very nice work! Thanks for posting
Old 12-20-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I didn't think of that Grizz. So how would I go about getting it certified? Can an electrician inspect it and certify it? Thanks.
What you've created might be nothing more than, (for example) a lamp-shade. The electrical components are what need to be approved. I just ran into this when building a fixture out of an old wine-barrel. So long as you're integrating the antler-art into already-approved (store-bought) components, you should be good to go! (Having said that, I'm not an electrician, so I stand to be corrected).

The light-store I was dealing with also said that there are electrical inspectors that will inspect and certify "home-made" fixtures. (for a fee of course!)

An eye-bolt through a truss onto which you can then hook a chain to hang the creation is a good sturdy install.

Beautiful work!
Old 12-20-2014, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the kind remarks guys. All of my compnents are CSA approved. I will have someone inspect it for peace of mind. It was a fun project.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:18 PM

Looks Great, I saw the one set of Antlers in a pic from where you found them ..Now let us know the secret how you hide the wires inside the antler..
Old 12-21-2014, 07:00 AM

The only place you see a wire is where it comes out the top. You take a 12 inch 1/4 inch drill bit and drill from one side oit the other, you then go back in the same hole you came out. Keep doing that until you got it all drilled out. You then run the wire theough and then cover the hole up with epoxy, texture, and airbrush the color back in.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:03 AM

We have trail cam pics of the one bull this year Phil, and he is a pig! I have his left side from last year. Hopefully we can get a tag on him! My dad and I have late season tags.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:07 AM

Looks like a neck of a project. Nicely done!!!. I'm sure it will be a great conversation piece in the man cave forsure. Make sure ur ladder holder/helper has a camera going when u hang it. Could end up with a great video also. Good luck sir.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind remarks guys. All of my compnents are CSA approved. I will have someone inspect it for peace of mind. It was a fun project.
Let us know how it all gets sorted out. I was going to make some lamps but realized I may have to have an electrician certify it. So the project never got done.
So, when you described running the wires through the main beams you just drilled diagonally across the beam with the 12" drill, kind of zig zagging your way down the main beam?
It looks really good!
Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
We have trail cam pics of the one bull this year Phil, and he is a pig! I have his left side from last year. Hopefully we can get a tag on him! My dad and I have late season tags.
I heard ,I was talking to David..pimping him that he needs a Camera man for this one...Its got to be a beautiful area on the Ranch ..Cant wait to see the outcome.