Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Banned

Cool Feedback re: NDP Grizz Hunt Changes - NOV. 2 Deadline!

Surprisingly enough, the BC Coalition Government is actually asking for input regarding it's suggested changes to the way the grizzly hunt is conducted here in BC. And it appears they have left this open to our neighbors to the east!

Specifically, they are seeking input on two policy documents outlining the proposed regulation changes required to implement the ban.

As part of the consultation, input is being sought on:

Changes to manage the ban in hunting areas that overlap the Great Bear Rainforest;

Changes that will prohibit the possession of "trophy" grizzly bear parts;

Changes that will manage prohibited grizzly bear parts;

Changes to prohibit the trafficking of grizzly bear parts; and,
New reporting requirements for taxidermists.

The request can be found here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/

The policy documents here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/grizzly.html

And comments can be submitted here: grizzly.bear@gov.bc.ca

The consultation period will conclude on November 2, 2017.

If at all interested, I'd suggest putting your best foot forward and get your comments in for consideration.
Be polite, concise and to the point folks!!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 10-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Today the BC SPCA stepped into this fray, and most certainly NOT in the direction of scientific management! They have made a blatant email request to any that subscribe to them, asking all to send the following "feedback" into the consultation process:

Dear staff of the Fish and Wildlife Branch,

Thank you for soliciting public feedback and representing me and my fellow British Columbians on this important issue.

I am writing to ask you to end the hunting of grizzly bears in B.C., both in the Great Bear Rainforest and province-wide. As a supporter of the BC SPCA, I stand by their submission.

I support a ban on grizzly bear hunting because:
1. Grizzly bears are too valuable – as a keystone species, their role and value in the ecosystem extends beyond the individual bear. Grizzly bears are blue-listed in B.C. and have low recruitment rates. Their removal through hunting will have cascading effects and result in significant changes to local ecosystems.
2. There is uncertainty in the sustainability of the Ministry’s allowable harvest numbers. Scientific information about grizzly bear population estimates is disputed, and the effect of climate change and a devastating wildfire season is not being considered.
3. Allowing a “meat hunt” will not deter trophy hunters. Some hunters may use the meat hunt as a guise for a trophy hunt, and hunters with non-meat motivations can still pose for photos with grizzly bears they killed and obtain a “digital trophy”.
4. The Great Bear Rainforest is a unique ecosystem with significant cultural and ecological importance. I want to preserve and protect the grizzly bears and the ecosystem of the Great Bear Rainforest, respect indigenous laws and promote world-class ecotourism.

I care about the management of grizzly bears in B.C. Please ensure conservation practices represent the compassionate values of British Columbians.

This under the banner:

The BC SPCA supports a total ban on grizzly bear hunting in the Great Bear Rainforest and province-wide, as outlined in our submission to government (PDF). A total ban will respect Indigenous laws of the Coastal First Nations, preserve the cultural and ecological importance of the bears and their ecosystem, and promote world-class ecotourism.

Their full submission can be found here (if you are ready to puke that is):

http://spca.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads...6-Oct-2017.pdf

Interestingly enough, this was circulated above the signature of one Dr. Sara Dubois, Chief Scientific Officer for the BC SPCA.
Obviously she now is tossing "science" out the window in this latest pursuit...

This is just one example of what we are up against over here folks.
Sincerely wish we could have helped Alberta when you folks went through this!
Kind of thought maybe one or two here might be interested enough to lend a hand...

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog
Old 10-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Banned

We may still be allowed to hunt Grizz on LEH but you can only keep the meat. No hides or skulls. So you must leave a beauty grizz pelt to rot.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:56 PM

If there is a legal requirement to retain the meat I do not see an issue...
Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 PM

I'm in. I'll hit this after the weekend.
Keep it near the top and let's promote helping our BC friends out.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:02 PM

Thanks Nog. Will send my thoughts.

While I have my doubts about any reversal of course, it's always worth getting our say in. This bit of unscientific mismanagement will certainly affect us as more bears will migrate into Alberta, along with making the animal rights crazies bolder.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShore View Post
If there is a legal requirement to retain the meat I do not see an issue...
So you're OK with having to leave the entire hide in the bush to rot?
Wouldn't it be nice to have the option, just like with every other animal we harvest?
Old 10-27-2017, 01:33 PM
Banned

Exclamation

The SPCA continues to hammer on this point.
Today they circulated another Email Plea titled: "Have you asked B.C. to protect grizzly bear lives?"

Getting down to the wire here Folks!
If you haven't already, please consider getting your thoughts & concerns in ASAP!

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog
Old 10-27-2017, 02:08 PM

Btt
Old 11-01-2017, 05:07 PM

Last day to provide feedback everyone.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:20 AM

Comments sent !!

Unfortunately I think the policy makers have already made their minds up, and don't want to be confused by the facts.

Conservation of our resources, which includes both habitat and harvest management, should be based on science and not on emotion.

Mr Conservation
Old 11-02-2017, 01:23 PM

Here's what I wrote.

-----------------

As a BC resident and avid hunter, I support the grizzly bear hunt. I believe that the scientific data supports the premise that the grizzly bear hunt is a reasonable method for maintaining a healthy grizzly bear population.

Recent studies have shown that the biggest issue with the grizzly bear populations is that we are encroaching on their territory, leading to more frequent human-bear interactions that usually end up with a dead bear (and occasionally a dead human). Our focus should be on conserving their natural territory, not on increasing the bear population and putting further pressure on the species because they don't have room to expand their territory.

Any changes to the hunt should be made on the basis of scientific data, not the emotions of people. We should be speaking to our conservation and wildlife management experts to determine the proper course of action and whether or not the hunt in fact HELPS or HURTS the grizzly bear population. The reports that I have seen indicate that hunting has a positive impact on the grizzly bear population as they have limited territory and increasing the population leads to bear-on-bear fights over territorial rights, leading to injured (or killed) bears, regardless.

If the hunt is to proceed, it should allow the hunters to retain ALL parts of the grizzly bear. It makes no sense to shoot a bear for meat and then leave a beautiful hide to rot away. Hunters are paying for the privilege (both in hard-earned money and in personal effort to find these bears in hard-to-access areas) and they should be able to keep as much of the bear as they wish.

Hunting is not a "beautiful" sport, in that it is enjoyable due to killing, but it is a critical part to the lives of many people in BC. I hunt to feed my family in a healthy, natural way and it also allows me to enjoy the beautiful natural environment that BC has.

Grizzly bear hunting helps maintain the bear population at healthy levels (as determined by our wildlife management experts) and supports the guiding and outfitting businesses in our province as well. Please allow it to continue, under the auspices and guidance of the people that actually know what is best for the bears (wildlife management experts), not random voters in BC that don't understand the impact of such a drastic change.

Thank you for your consideration,

JonBoy
Old 11-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Sent mine in, too. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 11-02-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Here's what I wrote.

-----------------

As a BC resident and avid hunter, I support the grizzly bear hunt. I believe that the scientific data supports the premise that the grizzly bear hunt is a reasonable method for maintaining a healthy grizzly bear population.

Recent studies have shown that the biggest issue with the grizzly bear populations is that we are encroaching on their territory, leading to more frequent human-bear interactions that usually end up with a dead bear (and occasionally a dead human). Our focus should be on conserving their natural territory, not on increasing the bear population and putting further pressure on the species because they don't have room to expand their territory.

Any changes to the hunt should be made on the basis of scientific data, not the emotions of people. We should be speaking to our conservation and wildlife management experts to determine the proper course of action and whether or not the hunt in fact HELPS or HURTS the grizzly bear population. The reports that I have seen indicate that hunting has a positive impact on the grizzly bear population as they have limited territory and increasing the population leads to bear-on-bear fights over territorial rights, leading to injured (or killed) bears, regardless.

If the hunt is to proceed, it should allow the hunters to retain ALL parts of the grizzly bear. It makes no sense to shoot a bear for meat and then leave a beautiful hide to rot away. Hunters are paying for the privilege (both in hard-earned money and in personal effort to find these bears in hard-to-access areas) and they should be able to keep as much of the bear as they wish.

Hunting is not a "beautiful" sport, in that it is enjoyable due to killing, but it is a critical part to the lives of many people in BC. I hunt to feed my family in a healthy, natural way and it also allows me to enjoy the beautiful natural environment that BC has.

Grizzly bear hunting helps maintain the bear population at healthy levels (as determined by our wildlife management experts) and supports the guiding and outfitting businesses in our province as well. Please allow it to continue, under the auspices and guidance of the people that actually know what is best for the bears (wildlife management experts), not random voters in BC that don't understand the impact of such a drastic change.

Thank you for your consideration,

JonBoy
Well said Jon
Old 12-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Banned

Arrow

Many Thanks for those who offered their support!

But...

Don't expect any rational or science based decisions...

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...r-trophy-hunts

Nog
Old 12-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Don't expect any rational or science based decisions...
As expected, there were none...

"The British Columbia government is bringing an end to the hunting of grizzly bears throughout the province, Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, and George Heyman, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy, announced today."

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0372-002065

And the more than a little scary conclusion:

"The government will also be moving forward with a broader consultation process on a renewed wildlife management strategy for the province in the new year."

Say goodbye to Science under these fools.

More:

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...-grizzly-bears

Nog
Old 12-18-2017, 12:40 PM

The CBC has an article open for comments.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-b-c-1.4454508
Old 12-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
The CBC has an article open for comments.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-b-c-1.4454508
DON'T READ THE COMMENTS. The lunacy out there is shocking.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
LOL. I agree.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:57 PM

The NDP needs to score some wins. Kinder Morgan Pipeline = loss, Site C Dam = loss. Ban Grizzly Hunt = Win. Politics 101.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:13 PM
AO Sponsor

Liberals will be back in next election and we can just hope re open the hunt based off science.

The BC Guide Outfitters Association also has a decent amount of pull with the Liberals as well so that should help.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 12-18-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
One individual calls trophy hunting “archaic” but then says hunting for food has gone on for century’s....So in reality wouldn’t hunting for food be more “archaic”?
Old 12-19-2017, 08:46 AM

Default grizzly

Scarey, we will have a major migration of BC 14,000 grizz into Alberta because of limited habitat for their future excessive bears. Guys, be sure to have extra shells in your rifle while elk or moose hunting to put down aggressive grizzly.
Granola munchers, I would advise you not to even consider going for a hike in BC wilderness, you will become grizzly poop.