Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Default PCR or Clear Lake for pike?

Hi, I am coming down to the area for one day, and would like to catch some dinner. I like what I am reading about PCR, except that it sounds like there are not to many pike and you can't keep the walleye.

Clear lake seems to have limited info, which leads me to think its not so good. I have never ate burbot before either, and hear it is very good, so mabye I should try at PCR? Any suggestions helpful. thanks alot
Old 03-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Well yeah you're right, not too many pike in PCR but there are some. Clear is slower than slow so dunno about that, although haven't been because of my friends reports. Burbot fishing in PCR can be touch and go and you might not be able to find any.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM

There are better options if you're coming from Provost, IMO. I would seriously consider Travers, McGregor, CVR or Little Bow. All lakes have pike and walleye, and you can keep the eyes at Travers if they're over 50 cm. Badger is also down there, although I've never been there so I can't comment first hand on the fishing.

If I had to pass those lakes, I wouldn't drive the extra distance to get to PCR or Clear, especially if you're looking for a meal.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Default thanks

yeah, im staying with family in Turner Valley, so was looking for some place closer. But yeah, the extra 40 minutes or whatever is pretty much nothing.

I remember Travers and Badger being good, so mabye I will try one of them instead. I dont think I have ever fished on hard water at Travers, so mabye I will go there. Is the fishing decent this time of year there?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Yeah it should be. Travers at the Little Bow provinical park on the flat just outside of the launch area (north west) is a popular place for pike and should be good for a few.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM

thanks alot, sounds like good access too then.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 PM

I was there last weekend. 2-3" of snow on the ice, probably a little more now, the road down to the lake is packed snow and very easily driveable (a couple of cars made it down). Lots of ice too when we went and with this cold spell it should only be getting thicker.

If you're looking for eyes, make sure you have minnows. They seem to prefer them over smelts. Smelts will get you pike though (from our experiences). And of course a large herring or mackeral or similar on a tip up is usually good for a couple of pike.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Yeah it should be. Travers at the Little Bow provinical park on the flat just outside of the launch area (north west) is a popular place for pike and should be good for a few.
gonna be busy there
Old 03-01-2011, 06:26 PM

sounds good. I think Travers would be better then McGregor, I never seemed to have any luck there
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM

If you are looking for eating fish PCR has a mercury warning on the pike anyways.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-02-2011, 09:56 AM

If you're coming from Provost you should try the Carolside Resevoir (also known as Berry Creek Resevoir), it's just south of Hanna. There aren't many Walleye in there, however it's great for pike. We were there for a few hours last weekend, and we'd all caught between 3-5 pike each before the wind forced us off the ice.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:58 PM

how is carolside for size of fish i drive by it all the time on my way to blood indian and have always wanted to try it out but never knew how the fishing was and how big they got
thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Default Carolside

There are some big ones to be found at carolside, but like any lake you need to invest some time to find some of the good spots. Many people fish the dam or fish the east side half way up the lake. Both are descent spots, but there are many better spots. If your heading to blood Indian anyways, I would try carolside you won't be disappointed. I think this lake would be too far for the original poster if he is staying at turner valley.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 PM

Yeah. Its a little far from turner valley but pretty much perfect for a couple hour pit stop. I didn't even know there was a lake there. I think I will stop by there and throw a couple lines in. Thanks alot for all the tips everyone !