Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2011, 06:10 PM

Default Flyfishing Cancun

My wife and I are travelling to Cancun next month and was wondering if I should bring my fly rod. I tried to Google fishing info there and all I got was guide service ads. Not sure if a guide is gonna be in the budget or not. Kinda depends on which one of us is holding my wallet I guess.
I would very much appreciate any information or tips you may have.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 PM

boca paila fishing lodge pm me your number and ill tell you all the details
Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 PM

Bonefishing the flats and lagunas of Ascencion Bay south of Tullum is pretty magic.
It's a pristine wilderness in a national park and well worth the price of a day's guided fishing.
If you pair up with another angler the cost isn't too bad but because it's sight fishing a guide is pretty indispensable if you want to get on fish.
The whole Cancun strip is a bit of a gong show and if your missus is into a day or two on the mangrove cayos then bring her along. It's drop dead gorgeous scenery which she will really enjoy.
Getting there from your all inclusive may be an issue but some of the lodges at Punta Allen lay on transportation.
Garry Pierce from Tailwater Drifters out of Penhold has a connection with a fishing family down there so you may want to drop him an e-mail.
It will cost you a few hundred but believe me a bone blowing into your backing sure beats zip lining. There's also a pretty impressive Mayan ruin at Tullum.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 PM

i was there 4 weeks ago at boca paila it was awesome landed alot of bones look it up
Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info...and yeah a day in the scenery is definately on the agenda. Will definately look into the guide thing as well.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
Bonefishing the flats and lagunas of Ascencion Bay south of Tullum is pretty magic.
It's a pristine wilderness in a national park and well worth the price of a day's guided fishing.
If you pair up with another angler the cost isn't too bad but because it's sight fishing a guide is pretty indispensable if you want to get on fish.
The whole Cancun strip is a bit of a gong show and if your missus is into a day or two on the mangrove cayos then bring her along. It's drop dead gorgeous scenery which she will really enjoy.
Getting there from your all inclusive may be an issue but some of the lodges at Punta Allen lay on transportation.
Garry Pierce from Tailwater Drifters out of Penhold has a connection with a fishing family down there so you may want to drop him an e-mail.
It will cost you a few hundred but believe me a bone blowing into your backing sure beats zip lining. There's also a pretty impressive Mayan ruin at Tullum.

x2
had a shot at a couple trophy permit as well as lots of bones while i was there. my dad landed a huge barricuda on 6 pound line with no leader as well. beautiful area