Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Default Salmon fishing or Cabin Rental

Well, planning to take a week off either in the summer(with a few friends), to rent a cabin on a nice calm, decent fishn lake, either in BC interior or Northern Sask...or...Head to the island with a buddy of mine to hit up the Salmon run in October with free place to stay.
Never Salmon fished(and am really excited to do so though I will have to buy proper gear)...but...do love a nice weeks getaway on a nice lake too, provided I get in on a good cabin rental in time.
If it were up to you, which would you go for and why? Finding it tough to make up my mind
Cheers.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
AO Sponsor

I'd go with the interior just because salmon fishing in October will not allow you to get the full experience. You'll be catching some decent Coho, and maybe even Chums depending on where you will be fishing (actually, if down inside passage and can time it to the Chum run, i'd really recommend it, they are a great fight and can often get double and triple headers during "the bite"). With that being said though, if not, I'd go with a relaxing weekend during summer at a fishing lake just due to weather alone...weather in BC in OCtober is rarely nice :P
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 03-02-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
I'd go with the interior just because salmon fishing in October will not allow you to get the full experience. You'll be catching some decent Coho, and maybe even Chums depending on where you will be fishing (actually, if down inside passage and can time it to the Chum run, i'd really recommend it, they are a great fight and can often get double and triple headers during "the bite"). With that being said though, if not, I'd go with a relaxing weekend during summer at a fishing lake just due to weather alone...weather in BC in OCtober is rarely nice :P
X2 on the weather but I can handle it. Lived in Vancouver, Victoria, and Kelowna in the past so nothing really new there though my time in Vic was short. Vacationed often all over the province. According to buddy October on the Isle is primetime for salmon no?? Fishermen are lined up along the banks he claims?? I checked out the hatchery on the Isle last time I was there, was kinda neat, except for the couple poachers spearfishn right there, before the season was even open
I'm gonna get a hold of me buds and find out exactly where and what species of Salmon he is talking about targeting and I'll get back to ya on that.
Cheers.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:39 PM
AO Sponsor

Oh, ok, would you be fishing the river? I was assuming ocean...sorry, if it's river fishing then you could be getting into a lot of salmon for sure.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Perty sure we'd be doing a lil Pacific fishing as well while we're there...time permitted, but likely just outta the kayaks, wouldn't be targeting Salmon.

Ok he just got back to me... We'd be going for Spring/Chinnooks, Chum, and Coho, likely catching mostly Chinooks outta the Puntledge river situated in Courtney.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 AM
AO Sponsor

Ocean fishing will be ok for Coho and Chum....but river fishing will be good this time of the year. All catch and release for most part but still a hoot! If weather doesn't affect ya, I'd suggest the salmon trip!

Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 AM

Smile

A great place in the interior is Tunkwa Lake. It's just west of Kamloops. They have rustic cabins and also 2 very new large log cabins. Nice place with lots of lakes around. Very quite and good place to just get away. Besides the rainbows there are always eager to bite. http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com/

Another one is Knouff Lake Resort. They are located North of Kamloops. http://www.knoufflake.com/

Here is another good one. Lac La Jeune Resort. That is south and west of Kamloops. http://www.lljr.ca/

A fourth option which is south of Kamloops is Roche Lake Resort. It is south of Kamloops. http://www.rochelake.com/

All of these places have cabins. All have good fishing for rainbow trout and plenty of other lakes in the region.

Have a great trip.
Rob
Old 03-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Thanx King. I've checked out alot of cabins online and can't say I came across any of those 4. Will look into them for sure. I think this decision is getting tougher rather than easier but currently I am leaning towards the Salmon run. Much easier to organize as there would only be 2 of us as opposed to 4-5 if I rented a cabin again. Gives me an excuse to buy more gear too haha. Can never have too much
Thanx again, still keeping options open as it is a ways away.
Cheers!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Smile

Hey that salmon trip is one you shouldn't miss. You can go to the interior and fish those lakes any time. But you have to go the extra mile to get into the salmon. Besides a 2 lb salmon VS a 20+ salmon. Salmon win every time.

Have a great trip. Take lots of pics.

Tight lines,
Rob
Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 PM

I would have a look at the cabins on Last Mountain at the Rowen's PP, not sure the number but one great fishery...