Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 PM

Default River Monsters Marathon

son just came ripping up the stairs and told me to set the pvr. river monsters is on discovery all nite for all that enjoy the show.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the update...
Sting rays in the river...that thing is huge...
Old 02-27-2011, 08:09 PM

PVR set to tape all, check!

WOW is he an ugly little monkey! Dream job though, if you can handle the bugs.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the post, we caught two episodes. I can' believe the bull shark is making its way into freshwater rivers and lakes yipes! AWESOME SHOW
Old 02-28-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollfin View Post
Thanks for the post, we caught two episodes. I can' believe the bull shark is making its way into freshwater rivers and lakes yipes! AWESOME SHOW
I can find him a little melodramatic at times...like his life is on the verge of ending.

The footage can be great but he often spends more time depicting the dangers versus fishing. The Nile Perch were huge and very interesting to fish for...but I think he only caught 2 in a 1 hour show.

The show about the Alaskan monster was so obviously a white sturgeon. Going through and discounting a pike as a maneater was a little over the top.

The giant catfish in Europe was a neat show. I have to figure out how to get my wife to let me fish one evening if we ever go there.

Still...don't you wish you had his job :-)

If the bull sharks interest you...look them up on the web...the zambezi sharks go way up fresh water in Africa. Also bull sharks in Australian kill many people. In the US there are places you can try and catch one. Sharks or gaters...why you don't want to own water front property in Florida...
Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 AM

The drama is over done, but a decent show over all.

Other than the fishing, I like the looks into how the locals live, ver sobering seeingthe lenghts thast most of the people in the world have to go to to make ends meet.

The size of gear he uses is just mind numbing.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 AM

FYI...The first 2 seasons are also on NetFlix...
Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 AM

at times its tough to watch the first time....let alone re-runs stacked back to back...they are entertaining though.
my new go to show is Swamp People...lol...
Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 AM

i don't think the arapaima episode ran last night, unless i missed it earlier. it is by far my favorite. check it out if you get a chance.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
The drama is over done, but a decent show over all.

Other than the fishing, I like the looks into how the locals live, ver sobering seeingthe lenghts thast most of the people in the world have to go to to make ends meet.

The size of gear he uses is just mind numbing.
X2...the shear poverty can be overwhelming to contemplate. He is fishing for fun to make money...some of those around him need that fish just to survive a few days.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
at times its tough to watch the first time....let alone re-runs stacked back to back...they are entertaining though.
my new go to show is Swamp People...lol...
OMG...Too funny. I just found that show the other day and I can not wait till the next one.

What hooked me faster on Swamp People was watching a number of Swamp Loggers. The culture and history is facinating. What is strange is I pictured Swamp People as living in the back woods...eating gator. These folks go home to satelite cable and get there in their new pick up truck.

Makes you wonder how much you make trapping gators :-)

I wish I could of caught that big aligator gar on a spinning rod versus a set line. Those beasts put up a hell of a fight.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 PM

love that show. just to see whats out there its crazy whats in these waters. id like to catch them all.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:30 PM

we used to catch alligator gar in texas at my cousins house when i was a kid but never got a huge one and when i lived on lake toho in florida we used to catch alot of florida gar....but they dont get near that size....but they have that hard outer body and gotors used to come up in our back yard and we never had a problem....heck we used to wade in the water while fishing for bass and i never had one bother me....the only time they were ever aggressive is when a female was nesting....then you staw away...no different than any other protective parent...gators dont attack boats and stuff like crocks do...unless your in close proximity of a nest...from my experiance anyways....
Old 03-01-2011, 02:53 PM

It's funny how when I was a kid I HATED dad's fishing shows but now I watch them as religiously as he did.

River Monsters is cool and all but Sundance is right the guy's kind of a dbag and is way too melodramatic. Look up a show called Monster Fish. Not sure if it aired on National Geographic or not but I saw it a few times on Oasis HD when it was on free preview. The host is much better and the guy's looking to catch big fish (usually fresh water from what I've seen) not terrify kids about swimming in open water.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 PM

just watched the freshwater Thailand stingray show again.

That is my favorite. Them big fishes.