Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2011, 07:39 PM

Default Baptiste Lake??

I'm heading up to fish Baptiste next weekend. How has the fishing been this year? If anyone would like to share some tips, I am all ears..... I now live in Calgary but when I used to live in Edmonton, I used to regularily pull out and release pike in the 15 to 30lb range. The perch fishing used to also be good, but that was a decade ago. I'm assuming the perch fishing is pretty weak?

Cheers,

Pat
Old 03-02-2011, 10:28 PM

are you familiar with the sandbar in the southeast corner of the lake? fish there. the northerns will come up on top as well as the walleye. the perch will be off the north west end in the deeper water. a number 00 y&r five o is the hook for the big humpys in that lake.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:31 AM

I am very familiar with the sand bar. I have never fished the north west side for perch, only the east side between the launch and the sand bar. Any landmarks for the north west side or depth? I used to catch the perch between 15 and 30' and the pike in 8 to 20'

This lake was one of my most favorite lakes to fish. I sure hope the drive from Calgary works out...

Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 AM

the drop off on the north west end of that bar. 30fow. the main launch is in the south west corner of the lake. you would be west of the bar. also try the point off satellite bay in 30fow for the perch.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 PM

messed up big time on the size of the five o. 6 not 00. bad guess. RNW kamlooper is another good one there.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 PM

Fished it first time last summer and it was awesome. Too bad it's zero limit on walleye though.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 PM

I have a cabin on that lake. I find the perch in 6 and less. Never caught in 30fow. Sandbar is kinda overrated. Many spots on that lake better then the sandbar. Great place for big pike though. The walleye spawn in the second bay through the narrows so that part of the lake is your best bet this late in the year. Find the rock bottom near the second bay and u should be able to land some nice eye. U got a flasher?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:10 PM

smashed the perch on the sand bar the other day 28 feet there still there very shy bite landed 9 hogs
Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montec View Post
smashed the perch on the sand bar the other day 28 feet there still there very shy bite landed 9 hogs
always a shy bite and always hit and miss there. when you get into them you'll hit some good ones. gotta work for them, hole hop hard. congrads, glad to here they still hang off there.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Hey Montec, Which side of the sand bar? I used to get them off of a lone pine along the shore between the boat launch and the sand bar in about 25' of water??.

Baptiste_moose. I do have flashers and everything else you can imagine for catching Walleye. I was very blessed growing up for tackle. My Father manufactured home made Jigs and retailed fishing tackle under "Greta's Jigs" over 20 years ago. If there was a lure being made or tested, we had it. Samples by the case load kept the boxes full. Too bad you are not allowed to keep the walleye anymore. This is likely a good thing to maintain the fishery.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM

some of my fondest memories happened on this lake.