Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 PM

Default Trolling Motor For Fishcat Pontoon

I have a Fish cat ir and im looking to put a trolling motor. I know 30 works fine but would getting a 55 be worth it ? :P
Old 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Banned

You will always be happier with more power IMO, and weight difference in the actual motor is very little.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 AM

I just put a 55 lb on mine.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM

Well hell! why not go for the 101ppt!! haha thanks boys
Old 05-04-2013, 04:52 AM

I have a fish cat 9 and i used a 40 pbs of thrust and she flys works well but 55 be good to i bet
Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 AM

There will always be plus and minuses with any change the thing to look for is what the difference will be and how much will it cost and to what benifit.

-Putting a bigger motor will not equate into a faster pontoon unless that pontoon is faceing a 30mph wind.
-A bigger motor will weigh more , some will say it's only 10 lbs but that 10lbs at the end of the frame will require more weight to be place up front to balance out again. Not to mention at the end of a fishing day that bigger motor weighs a lot more than it did when you put it on that morning. LOL
-Bigger motors have better power consuption rates which is a deffinate plus when on a weekend trip

If you intention is just day trips I would suggest keep what you have and spend the money on important things like that new lure everyone is raving about or better yet buy Beer.

You could also use that extra cash for a second battery and fish for a couple days without worry.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally I was going to get a 30 lb. One day before I bought I talked to another fisherman and he told me a story about when him and his buddy were out fishing with their pontoon boats. A storm rolled in with high winds and the one with the 55 lb trolling motor was able to go against the wind without any problem to get back to the launch. The other guy had a 30 lb motor and he had to tack back and forth because he couldn't go against the wind. I guess it took him a long time to get to the launch. After hearing this I decided to go with a 55.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 PM

Default Other considerations

I would worry about getting a traxxis which is digital. The cheaper ones use a lot more battery. Digital ones truly use less if you're not full throttle. The other thing is batteries. You're going to weigh down the *****end with too much weight. I had a fish cat 9 and one 27 series blue top and a 30lb thrust nearly had the platform in the water. I may suggest two batteries, but I'd find a way to get the weight near your seat somehow.