Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM

I use a 3/0 circle hook and dew worms on the North Sask.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM

maybe he was in Sask,..you can use crayfish there......
Old 05-06-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
John...you told the OP to use crayfish for bait even though they're illegal to use. Whether or not you're allowed to use them in the tagging program isn't relevant.

You also said that you started using them half way through the season, even though it wasn't legal last season, then you came back and said you didn't. Which one is it? Because one isn't true. Like I said in the PM I sent you...it's stupid stuff like this that has people always questioning your posts.

By the way...coming back later and saying "I was just joking" doesn't fix it.

I also didn't say you were misrepresenting the tagging program or anything else...I said that you were poorly representing yourself, your company and the program. How are people supposed to trust your information when you contradict yourself, or tell them to use illegal bait? And how do you think it makes you look when you snap like you did at EZM in fishinfoo's split ring thread?

You may not be breaking any laws or rules, but you did advise Bee to use illegal bait, and you're making yourself look bad in the process.
Ok maybe you need to re read what Beeguy asked . When I said I used them 1/2 of last season was referring to circle hooks , not sure how you can mistake crayfish and circle hooks but I understand if you did .

Name of the thread is Sturgeon bait what is the best bait , I think the best bait would be crayfish . Its not my issue or anyone elses its a public forum I know it looks bad if I said hey guy go use crayfish knowing its illiegal to do so but not my fault if they do . I will end it there .

Even though ive got plenty more to say .
Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES View Post
Ok maybe you need to re read what Beeguy asked . When I said I used them 1/2 of last season was referring to circle hooks , not sure how you can mistake crayfish and circle hooks but I understand if you did .

Name of the thread is Sturgeon bait what is the best bait , I think the best bait would be crayfish . Its not my issue or anyone elses its a public forum I know it looks bad if I said hey guy go use crayfish knowing its illiegal to do so but not my fault if they do . I will end it there .

Even though ive got plenty more to say .
My bad for mixing up the hooks and the crayfish. I apologize for that.

The rest of my post stands.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Then why give out bad information advising people to use illegal bait?

You're representing yourself, your company, and the tagging program *very* poorly.

I'll reply to your pm in the morning.
I agree!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM

is he giving out bad info? I don't think so, the OP asked about which bait worked best for Sturgeon and he replyed with an answer. I did not see anywhere where the OP stated that he wished to fish Alberta, Sask, Manitoba, BC etc....just what the best bait was. The fact that you can not use crayfish in Alberta was brought up which is good info for the OP BUT...you can catch and use crayfish in sask for bait. Good info presented here on bait and rigging etc... but got side railed by assumptions.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 AM

I think you have said enough on this site John. Fishing guide who takes clients to Legends. Thats pretty brutal. Ive been catching sturgeon longer then you have even known that they swim in our river. I have been tagging since 1989. Sturgeon fishing is personal to me. I dont go to the meetings anymore because it is getting stupid and goofy. You should bring that big lake boat out and try following me up river !!!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:03 AM

and for bait i usually use a big piece of hot dog or gob of dew worms on a #6 eagle claw "J" hook (steel not brass).
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
I think you have said enough on this site John. Fishing guide who takes clients to Legends. Thats pretty brutal. Ive been catching sturgeon longer then you have even known that they swim in our river. I have been tagging since 1989. Sturgeon fishing is personal to me. I dont go to the meetings anymore because it is getting stupid and goofy. You should bring that big lake boat out and try following me up river !!!
Your right , I do . I offer a cost effective trip to anyone who wants try it out , pretty unique way of Fighting them . I could easily of bought a river boat but would have double or tripled me pricing . I still give the something's if not more than the average guide , I provide a lunch etc , Quality Equipment , lunch etc .

As for you saying you have been sturgeon fishing longer than me I have been fishing down at Legends long before it was the cool place to go , been fishing down there since I Was 10 years old with my Grandpa . I wouldn't even know how many Sturgeon we have caught in 21 years . You are also older than I . But thanks for coming out .
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Peace Brothers, that's why fishing is a passion and addiction to almost all of AO members.We care about what we do I am looking forward to being able to eat raw bait now
Red Neck Out
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Drakes cousin terry uses a whole chicken and winch.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:36 PM

I use maggets and meal worms.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
size 1 or 1/0 baitholder hook and a half inch of nightcrawler. dont need anything more. but knock yourself out and give them all a go, let me know what works Im always willing to try something new
Hey Wayne wasn't it you that used to recommend ripened pork rectums
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=rectum

Nice to see you back.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Banned

So, uh, what is it guys? Worms? Ya right, worms cool got it.

In other news, learn to ****ing communicate.

Mods zap this thread please.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
So, uh, what is it guys? Worms? Ya right, worms cool got it.

In other news, learn to ****ing communicate.

Mods zap this thread please.
Sorry Bee!

Minnows work well also.

I've had a lot of luck with smaller baits...like half a worm or minnow on a size 4 hook.

I usually use octopus hooks but once my stash is gone I may look into switching over to circles.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 PM

Worms/nightcrawlers have always been my favorite.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:17 PM

Old 05-06-2013, 02:53 PM

I have had most luck with worms. With that said though, the 2 largest ones i caught were both on minnows. I use circle hooks only. Has been best for me in size 3/0 to 5/0. I have found the smaller ones can actually be harder to remove. The circle wedges into the lips and is farder to back out.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

I use jigs and minnows off the dock at the PP at pigeon lake catch hundreds ............NO WAIT .....I think thats a different fish and a different bait and a different water way...Ok forget what I said..........
Old 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM

I use minnows most of the time now, but worms work good too. For hooks i use 1 or 1/0
Old 05-06-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
I use jigs and minnows off the dock at the PP at pigeon lake catch hundreds ............NO WAIT .....I think thats a different fish and a different bait and a different water way...Ok forget what I said..........
Hey buster!!! There is only room for one pickrel pat on this forum....
Old 05-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Hey buster!!! There is only room for one pickrel pat on this forum....
I apologies Did not mean to step on your turf.................
Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 PM

Before it was illegal I tried crayfish quite a few times in a river. I never caught a fish on them, not even a bite. I've ate lots of them, they are good eating.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
Before it was illegal I tried crayfish quite a few times in a river. I never caught a fish on them, not even a bite. I've ate lots of them, they are good eating.
I tried them a few times last year too, not a sniff. might give them another shot this year if they are biting good just for fun. and I tag so i am allowed to use them before it gets any worse in this thread. and of course dont forget the sun ripened pig rectums, they are hard to beat. and with barbs now one should last most of the season!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich