Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2017, 09:43 PM

Default A little request for courtesy on the highways please

If you are out on the highway and see 4 ways on, vehicle tucked into the ditch they may be changing a tire. Give them some room. Out in the rain and huge wind at 830 tonite on hwy 16 with nobody in the left lane so many bastards almost hit me it was ridiculous. Good 4 ways a flashlight and spare tire in plain view should be enough to give these morons an idea they could possibly pull over to the left lane, or at least slow down a little. You would hope people would have enough brains but apparently not. Several semis went by on the white line with nobody in the left lane. I had no chance of going further the rim was instantly destroyed.
I am not a happy man tonite. The walls of water some put up were just awful. There is no excuse for it, good damn thing I had nothing other than a tire iron to throw, I needed that.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-01-2017, 09:49 PM

Had the same experience not long ago...pretty much lost my faith in humanity
Old 10-01-2017, 10:04 PM

If the rim was destroyed or not, I would have limped it to an approach. No way I would work change flat on the shoulder. I have given up on fellow humans being human.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
If the rim was destroyed or not, I would have limped it to an approach. No way I would work change flat on the shoulder. I have given up on fellow humans being human.
It was over 1/4 mile and a decent steep ditch.
Guess we have to carry red and blue lights to get people to use their heads?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-01-2017, 10:17 PM

Not to long ago I was on Calgary drive south & half way to the Airport.
Tire issue on rear drivers side, was absolute hell watching these
unevolved idiots flying right next to me as I do my best indy car tire
swap attempt to get tire on studs & lugs on & out of there ASAP!!
Wholly hell..the stories tow truckers must have!

Also do not understand how cops can stand stopping people on the
highway& sitting behind them writing the ticket..if I were a cop I
would definatly direct the person I pulled over, to another side road.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
It was over 1/4 mile and a decent steep ditch.
Even that don't work sometimes. I always move over or if it's a lady or an elderly I will change their tire. Was on a hot streak last year ,changed out 4 tires for other people, including one for my auntie in my driveway in -25. But that was way safer than dealing with Yahoos when your stuck on a tight shoulder

Ken you made it out ok. That's good to hear. Don't forget there are still some good humans out there. We're just harder to find and getting fewer and even further between
Old 10-01-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
If you are out on the highway and see 4 ways on, vehicle tucked into the ditch they may be changing a tire. Give them some room. Out in the rain and huge wind at 830 tonite on hwy 16 with nobody in the left lane so many bastards almost hit me it was ridiculous. Good 4 ways a flashlight and spare tire in plain view should be enough to give these morons an idea they could possibly pull over to the left lane, or at least slow down a little. You would hope people would have enough brains but apparently not. Several semis went by on the white line with nobody in the left lane. I had no chance of going further the rim was instantly destroyed.
I am not a happy man tonite. The walls of water some put up were just awful. There is no excuse for it, good damn thing I had nothing other than a tire iron to throw, I needed that.
it is a simple fix you pay a little get an AMA membership let the guys with the proper equipment for the job do it. wby risk your life and someone else's for a few bucks.

mack
Old 10-01-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Then we could all slow to 40, no matter the lane you're in.

A bit of inconvenience for me is better than someone getting hit, but it seems even basic rules of the road, let alone courtesies, are lost on most. Got honked at for going through a traffic circle correctly this evening and followed someone doing less than 80 on a 100 km/h highway for a short time.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:09 PM

Don't blame you for being ****ed, seems like people are just completely oblivious when driving. Like was said, I would either pull completely into the
flat part of the grass ditch or limp to the next pull out no matter how far it was. No friggin way will I take a chance on getting killed to save a tire/rim.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
it is a simple fix you pay a little get an AMA membership let the guys with the proper equipment for the job do it. wby risk your life and someone else's for a few bucks.

mack
You can't get AMA for commercial vehicles which many self employed people in Alberta drive. And secondly what able bodied man needs to pay someone to change a tire?

A better suggestion would be advising someone to carry a set of collapsible road flares/ delineators or whatever you prefer to call them.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:22 PM
Banned

Default post#1

I understand what you have described.

I haved parked and signaled behind a situation.

Patience is found sometimes.

Thank you for a reminder.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:32 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Don't blame you for being ****ed, seems like people are just completely oblivious when driving. Like was said, I would either pull completely into the
flat part of the grass ditch or limp to the next pull out no matter how far it was. No friggin way will I take a chance on getting killed to save a tire/rim.
Yup giving what we are up against these days on the highways limp her to a safe place off the road, rim/tire are replaceable, throw the spare on and carry on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-02-2017, 01:10 AM
Gone Hunting

I had tow trucks for a few years so I've been there, dun dat.

Flares work most of the time.

At the end of the day it's what's between your ears that determines what happens. Changing a tire in a rain/snow storm in the dark with out being to get completely off the highway, may not be the best choice.
Sometimes a call to a tow truck on your cell phone will be the least expensive and safest way to change that tire.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-02-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
You can't get AMA for commercial vehicles which many self employed people in Alberta drive. And secondly what able bodied man needs to pay someone to change a tire?

A better suggestion would be advising someone to carry a set of collapsible road flares/ delineators or whatever you prefer to call them.

I drive a commercial vehicle and have/use AMA. Used it on Thursday to have the SUV towed to the shop.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:11 AM

Too late to edit my post but I just wanted t add, get a good cordless 1/2" impact to keep in the vehicle.
The quicker you get the tire changed the better.
Makes changing a tire in winter not so horrible also.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Not to long ago I was on Calgary drive south & half way to the Airport.
Tire issue on rear drivers side, was absolute hell watching these
unevolved idiots flying right next to me as I do my best indy car tire
swap attempt to get tire on studs & lugs on & out of there ASAP!!
Wholly hell..the stories tow truckers must have!

Also do not understand how cops can stand stopping people on the
highway& sitting behind them writing the ticket..if I were a cop I
would definatly direct the person I pulled over, to another side road.
I drove a tow truck for 25+ years. Came to realize that most drivers have but one thing on their minds; to get where they're going. It's like the rest of their brain is turned off. Reduced speed limits when emergency lights flashing has definitely helped, but I wouldn't stake my life on every driver being aware.
Cops pulling cars over to the shoulder is just asking for trouble. You'd think cops could be a little more aware of just how stupid drivers can be.
Nowadays, with Distracted Driving Laws you see more people pulled over to the shoulder on busy highways just to send a damn text. How does that help? If at all possible, get to hell right off the highway.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:14 AM

They were probably busy texting.

Glad your okay though.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I drive a commercial vehicle and have/use AMA. Used it on Thursday to have the SUV towed to the shop.
Then they are most likely unaware your vehicle is commercial. Try and use your ama card while driving a cube van or fully loaded welding rig. They will show up and then tell you they can't help then leave.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:17 AM

I hear you Ken...
Some people have lost their common sense and courtesy a long time ago.
Yup, tossing that tire iron woulda make changing that tire even more challenging.
Rob
Old 10-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Banned

I've had the same experience.
Another thing I've noticed of late...cyclists who are well on the shoulder...and the motorists who seem to think it a sport to see how close to them they can get when they pass at 100kph.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:

I had a 1 ton dump had it towed with no issue by CAA and still have a contractors trailer that had truck and trailer towed.and as far as your remark about able. bodied man why be stupid enough to risk your life ic you dont have e to. If you think a couple of collapsible reflectors will make a difference to driver speeding down the road you need a reality check.

mack
Old 10-02-2017, 08:25 AM

Great tip on the cordless 1/2" impact!! I also have "railroad flares" in both vehicles, they do get folks to pay attention.

I must confess I am the guy that slows / pulls over for vehicles / folks with issues like kids with emergency issues etc. on the side of the roadway. I get a few fingers and other audio accolades!!

But it is harrowing how blind folks are on the place they stop and people passing with no thought on the "hazard" ahead, folks distracted etc.

I don't think there is any good solution except for folks with problems to pull into ditch, secondary road, farmer field, I know its not always possible, but that is my first choice. I am also the guy that pull 200 m down a gravel road, or into field entrance etc. for a break.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:47 AM

Someone hit two of my three reflective triangles before realizing there was a tire being changed. Off to the shoulder, hazzards on.
Idiots.
Tullfan
Old 10-02-2017, 10:02 AM

I feel for ya, Ken! Once while stranded on the shoulder, someone rammed me so hard, my VW Rabbit went airborne as it flew across the ditch into the woods.

I'm just thankful that I had just strapped myself in, and that I wasn't hit into traffic.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:51 AM

I changed a tire on highway 49 once and ran for the fenceline several times as I thought I was about to get run over.

AMA sucks. My wife and kids travel all over to rodeos in the summer so I bought the most expensive RV platinum program. She blew a tire by Bowden and called AMA; sorry, we don't handle tire emergencies on trailers. Another time she called, they said they wouldn't respond because she was hauling livestock. They also don't do trucks with dual wheels if pulling a trailer and won't tow anything "modified" - ie has a flat deck. It was a complete waste of money.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
I had a 1 ton dump had it towed with no issue by CAA and still have a contractors trailer that had truck and trailer towed.and as far as your remark about able. bodied man why be stupid enough to risk your life ic you dont have e to. If you think a couple of collapsible reflectors will make a difference to driver speeding down the road you need a reality check.

mack
Pylons and delineators work pretty darn good when you start them at the shoulder and v them into the middle of the lane. I've never seen anyone hit them on purpose. You just have to try to stir up crap don't you. It's kinda cute how hard you try.

And this is right from their website. Pay special attention to the terminology used, specifically the words personal and non-commercial.

Vehicles We Can Provide Service To
Basic Membership:

Four wheeled motor driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure, or recreational type regardless of licence plate designation, and conventional pedal bikes, if those services can be safely delivered.
Campers/motor homes will be provided all services except towing, extrication/recovery and tire service. Dual-wheel unloaded pickup trucks are provided all services except tire service.
For trailer coverage, see CAA Plus RV.
Plus Membership:

Plus membership covers the same vehicles as the Basic Membership.
Full coverage is extended to Motorcycles throughout Canada. In the US, AAA clubs cover motorcycles under the Plus RV membership.
Plus RV Membership:

There is no weight restriction on eligible passenger, pleasure or recreational vehicles for towing, winching and tire changes.
Full coverage is extended to all types of non-commercial trailers.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Pylons and delineators work pretty darn good when you start them at the shoulder and v them into the middle of the lane. I've never seen anyone hit them on purpose. You just have to try to stir up crap don't you. It's kinda cute how hard you try.

And this is right from their website. Pay special attention to the terminology used, specifically the words personal and non-commercial.

Vehicles We Can Provide Service To
Basic Membership:

Four wheeled motor driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure, or recreational type regardless of licence plate designation, and conventional pedal bikes, if those services can be safely delivered.
Campers/motor homes will be provided all services except towing, extrication/recovery and tire service. Dual-wheel unloaded pickup trucks are provided all services except tire service.
For trailer coverage, see CAA Plus RV.
Plus Membership:

Plus membership covers the same vehicles as the Basic Membership.
Full coverage is extended to Motorcycles throughout Canada. In the US, AAA clubs cover motorcycles under the Plus RV membership.
Plus RV Membership:

There is no weight restriction on eligible passenger, pleasure or recreational vehicles for towing, winching and tire changes.
Full coverage is extended to all types of non-commercial trailers.
i juzt posted what i do if you dont like it dont read it .no need for you to whiine.

mack
Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 PM

Wish they would change the law to state anyone pulled over to the side of the road instead of the current lights flashing law.

I feel for you Ken. Went thru this the other day on hwy 16. Totally mind boggling how some drivers totally seem oblivious to a person pulled over and trying to change a tire.Brain dead is the most applicable description I can apply. Mind you, slowing down and moving to the left lane may have cost them 21 seconds in their life.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I feel for ya, Ken! Once while stranded on the shoulder, someone rammed me so hard, my VW Rabbit went airborne as it flew across the ditch into the woods.

I'm just thankful that I had just strapped myself in, and that I wasn't hit into traffic.
Holy hell

I was actually more scared for my wife sitting in the passenger seat. I knew someone hitting me would be instant game over, but she being tied in would likely suffer.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:35 PM
Gone Hunting

I feel for you bud.
I wish I had been there to help, and I would have done so even if I did not know you.

I learned a long time ago that there is nothing in my life so important that I can not stop and at least offer to help.

And I have learned that helping strangers has it's own rewards.

I wonder, how it would feel to be the person who killed someone because I was in too much of a hurry.

This summer I was on my way home, it was rained and the middle of the night.
I came upon a car stopped in the middle of the highway. I slowed down to see if they needed help and that is when I saw the body lying at the edge of the pavement. A hitchhiker I believe. The driver of the car looked to be in shock.

Just then the police showed up, so I went on my way. To tell the truth I was in no mood to offer help just then. I was physically sick thinking about how that driver must have been feeling.
At that moment I wanted nothing more then to forget the look on his face as I drove up.

Be safe out there people.

George Bernard Shaw