Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2017, 10:03 AM

Default Fort McMurray Métis hunter claims victory after province returns confiscated bear skin

Fort McMurray Métis man is claiming victory after the Alberta government returned his bear hide, ending a two-year battle over Métis rights in northern Alberta.

Lenny Hansen shot the black bear near Fort McMurray in the spring of 2015. He skinned and cleaned the bear's fur and ate parts of the animal.

But after he dropped the skin off at a taxidermist to have it made into a rug, Hansen got a call from Alberta Fish and Wildlife officers. They had confiscated the hide, Hansen said, and threatened to charge him with hunting without the proper tags.

"I went that same day up to the Métis local and said, 'I am kind of lost here, I don't know what is going on. This is kind of scaring me to be honest,' " Hansen said.

Alberta has a Métis animal-harvesting policy that allows members of the Métis Nation of Alberta and members of a recognized Métis settlement to hunt, fish and trap in their communities with proper licences and registrations.

Fort McMurray, however, is not recognized as a harvesting community.

The Métis Nation of Alberta has argued it wasn't consulted when that policy was developed and it doesn't need permission from the province to hunt on its traditional lands.
Charges dropped

Wildlife officers seized the bear skin on March 2, 2016, spokesperson Brendan Cox said, after obtaining a search warrant for a taxidermy business in Westlock.

"This bear skin was seized as there was concern the harvester in question had not applied to Environment and Parks to have their Métis harvester status recognized and had no other hunting licence," Cox wrote in an email.

Cox said all "contemplated charges" were dropped following a standard review process that considers evidence and the law, and after Hansen applied for a licence.

It's not clear from the statement how Hansen was approved as a Métis harvester when the province doesn't recognize Fort McMurray as a legitimate harvesting community.

Cox also said Alberta Environment and Parks is in the process of developing a new Métis harvesting policy.
'A born right'

Ron Sturgess Sr., who works for the McMurray Métis Local 1935, helped secure the return of Hansen's bear skin.

He said this and other incidents between the Métis and wildlife officers are examples of the overall lack of respect for the rights of Indigenous peoples.

"This is a born right that Lenny has had since he was brought into this world," Sturgess said. "His forefathers and family has been doing this harvesting for centuries."

Hansen hopes his victory emboldens other Indigenous harvesters who have felt like backing down after being threatened with charges when for practicing hunting and fishing traditions.

"I know that there has been dozens, if not hundreds, of other people in the past still dealing with these kind of similar things right now." Hansen said. "I hope this can maybe help the process in the future."

Original Source: CBC Indigenous
Old 11-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Such a shame what we are watching our province turn into. Best take some good pictures, our grandkids will probably like to know what used to be here.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 AM

Before this gets locked down, if he was clearly not in a recognized Metis zone, why drop the charges? Seems like more and more the people who make the rules, shy away from enforcing them as soon as there is push back from the group of right holders.

Cut and dry infraction Imo, should have paid the fines/suspension like anyone else would have.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

Such a shame what we are watching our province turn into. Best take some good pictures, our grandkids will probably like to know what used to be here.
Sadly you are correct. It's all being lost or given away to the squeaky wheels.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Before this gets locked down, if he was clearly not in a recognized Metis zone, why drop the charges? Seems like more and more the people who make the rules, shy away from enforcing them as soon as there is push back from the group of right holders.

Cut and dry infraction Imo, should have paid the fines/suspension like anyone else would have.
Write your MLA and MP

The directive on this subject is coming from the top, i.e. Ottawa. WB has been warning us for a long time that the end goal is to turn over ALL wildlife management to the Siberian migrants, whatever they call themselves now.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 AM

I have a feeling that this case just opened the door....
Old 11-02-2017, 01:21 PM

The problem is that previous governments unilaterally decided where Metis could and couldn't harvest. To think that a place like Fort Mac never had Metis families / Hunters is not very realistic. Also remember at one time Metis were basically given carte blanche to hunt and fish in order to support their families very similar to FN are able to, and then presto the government announced an about face and they've been fighting ever since.

I don't know what the new government policy will be, but would bet five dollar bills to donuts that it's going to be much more generous than at present.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
The problem is that previous governments unilaterally decided where Metis could and couldn't harvest. To think that a place like Fort Mac never had Metis families / Hunters is not very realistic. Also remember at one time Metis were basically given carte blanche to hunt and fish in order to support their families very similar to FN are able to, and then presto the government announced an about face and they've been fighting ever since.

I don't know what the new government policy will be, but would bet five dollar bills to donuts that it's going to be much more generous than at present.
I wonder if there will be a provincial policy after this case

http://www.coldlakesun.com/2016/04/2...rk-rights-case
Old 11-02-2017, 02:50 PM

So you’re allowed to poach if your skin is the right color.

Good to know that the privileged think they have no boundaries.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned

Old 11-02-2017, 08:55 PM

Everyone needs to enjoy their big game hunting now, because it may soon be coming to an end. We can't manage the game populations if even more unregulated hunting starts taking place.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Banned

Old 11-02-2017, 10:40 PM

I've got this figured out...

We give the metis Quebec, the status natives Ontario, the current residents of those provinces Nunavut, and the rest of us live happily ever after.

It's foolproof.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post

We give the metis Quebec, the status natives Ontario, the current residents of those provinces Nunavut, and the rest of us live happily ever after.

It's foolproof.
I like your way of thinking!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:

It's foolproof.
And leave the far Eastern provinces to their own demise.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

It's foolproof.
Somebody get a pen and write this down. This man is on a roll.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:43 AM
Banned

Just more equality from Canada the country that preaches equality and inclusiveness. Sickening.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post

Same reason that most people under 30 and especially the vast majority of kids nowadays get away with everything and have no respect for rules and elders. To much coddling and pampering and at the end of the day 'It's all good' and 'Here's your ribbon'.

Everyone is entitled and everyone wants something for nothing... My dad woulda kicked my ass as a kid if I'd have been anything like the vast majority of the population today.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post

The provincial government made consulted decisions based on legal precedent.
The Metis didn't like the deal, tested it in court and lost.

There was a lot of background work done before Metis settlements were identified. Areas of contention have little and dubious evidence of historical use.

With this line of thinking, ALL Canadians that can trace their roots into the late 1800s should also have the right to unrestricted hunting. They were also present before game regulations were established....
Shouldn't they also have the rights the Metis are claiming?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The provincial government made consulted decisions based on legal precedent.
The Metis didn't like the deal, tested it in court and lost.

There was a lot of background work done before Metis settlements were identified. Areas of contention have little and dubious evidence of historical use.

With this line of thinking, ALL Canadians that can trace their roots into the late 1800s should also have the right to unrestricted hunting. They were also present before game regulations were established....
Shouldn't they also have the rights the Metis are claiming?
Which court case did they lose, help me out, I can't think of it.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:34 PM

I proved lineage back well into the 1800’s and have Metis “status” if you will. I harvested 2 animals under that privilege when the interim harvesting agreement was in place. Truth be told, it wasn’t difficult to see where it was going. Both in the public eye and in regards to game populations and hunter opportunity. I stopped at that and not long after the agreement was abolished anyway. Truth be told and I can’t change it but I’m not a fan of how the FN harvesting is done and if I have a problem with that then I’m being the utmost hypocrite doing something similar. Friends and family enter the draw system, buy tags and enjoy the outdoors so why should I be different? Those dollars go into something I enjoy and I feel I should contribute the same as anyone else. Whether myself or anyone else qualify or not, it’s a choice and one that I choose not to exercise. Furthermore, I agree with the fact that our game populations are not being managed in a fashion they should be; if folks can’t see that on their own and adjust their own mentality then the powers that be need to draw the line. For all participants. Not everyone who can self identify as Metis abuses the resource. I’m a hunter yes but first and foremost as hunters, we also have to be conservationists. My two cents anyway.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I proved lineage back well into the 1800’s and have Metis “status” if you will. I harvested 2 animals under that privilege when the interim harvesting agreement was in place. Truth be told, it wasn’t difficult to see where it was going. Both in the public eye and in regards to game populations and hunter opportunity. I stopped at that and not long after the agreement was abolished anyway. Truth be told and I can’t change it but I’m not a fan of how the FN harvesting is done and if I have a problem with that then I’m being the utmost hypocrite doing something similar. Friends and family enter the draw system, buy tags and enjoy the outdoors so why should I be different? Those dollars go into something I enjoy and I feel I should contribute the same as anyone else. Whether myself or anyone else qualify or not, it’s a choice and one that I choose not to exercise. Furthermore, I agree with the fact that our game populations are not being managed in a fashion they should be; if folks can’t see that on their own and adjust their own mentality then the powers that be need to draw the line. For all participants. Not everyone who can self identify as Metis abuses the resource. I’m a hunter yes but first and foremost as hunters, we also have to be conservationists. My two cents anyway.
Awesome. Well said Big Lou....
Old 11-03-2017, 02:58 PM

What about all the other laws that are present now but weren't present back when... Next thing will be they will say they can drink and drive because that wasn't against the law when their ancestors prowled the land... You could input any NEW law that didn't exist back then....
When will this country start treating everyone as equal human beings? The govt creates racism, its ridiculous....
Old 11-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
What about all the other laws that are present now but weren't present back when... Next thing will be they will say they can drink and drive because that wasn't against the law when their ancestors prowled the land... You could input any NEW law that didn't exist back then....
When will this country start treating everyone as equal human beings? The govt creates racism, its ridiculous....
Your example is ridicules and contributes nothing to this adult conversation.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:42 PM

When the governments are getting beaten at their own game of making laws, rules and regulations we all know it's going to end badly. Bad policy and bad positions make for bad results, time after time.

So big question is why do we continue to fight and go out of our way to make sure it ends bad? Lots of smart guys on here, figure out the answers and get them to your MLA's or guess what happens?

Crying about discrimination and pointing to the fact your ancestors roamed the prairies in the 1800's isn't going to do a thing towards solving what is potentially going to become a HUGE wildlife management problem.

Big Lou gets it and I suggest that many mant Metis act the same way as him, but for how much longer?

Big picture stuff.